Talk

Advanced search

to think my toddler has been poisoned?!

(14 Posts)
MyBreadIsEggy Sun 12-Feb-17 08:37:45

I bought some fruit from my local market the other day - same stall I've always used. Gave my DD some strawberries (which she normally wolfs down), and she said "yuck". So I took one, put it in my mouth and was about to do the usual "mmm mummy likes them"...but she was correct. They were in fact "yuck!". They tasted very metallic and gross. I always wash fruit before I serve it to my DD, so I'm sure it was the fruit itself that was minging, not something on the surface. Ever since she ate a couple of those strawberries, she's had foul, explosive, liquid diarrhoea confused She's otherwise healthy. No temperature, no vomiting etc. The only other thing that's weird, is that she seems off her food. She's been eating less than usual, and won't eat foods that she normally would eat i.e. cereal hmm
Could it be that she's had a bad reaction to a pesticide or fertiliser used on the fruit?! I don't know what country the fruit came from, so should I go back to the market and ask the woman on the stall?
I'm taking DD to the dr tomorrow, so I'm assuming they will ask for a stool sample. Would that be able to determine the cause of the problem?

FallenSky Sun 12-Feb-17 08:42:06

Maybe she just has a stomach bug? There's a lot going around at the moment.

Heratnumber7 Sun 12-Feb-17 08:47:24

I wouldn't bother the doctor for a few days yet if she's otherwise happy and well.
They've more than enough to do and there's not much treatment you can give for upset stomachs other than wait it out.

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 12-Feb-17 08:49:26

I thought stomach bug initially, but she's otherwise fine! No temperature or vomiting, drinking well, sleeping well etc

FallenSky Sun 12-Feb-17 08:58:00

If it was food poisoning I should imagine she'd be feeling a lot worse. The biggest issue with diarrhoea is the risk of dehydration but if she is drinking well that doesn't seem like a problem at the moment.

Personally, I'd watch and wait. DD had a vomiting bug once. Absolutely fine in herself in between the projectile vomiting every half an hour. She was over it pretty quickly.

How long has your DD had the diarrhoea?

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 12-Feb-17 09:12:52

Fallen Since Wednesday.
It's explosive. I have to put her in the shower and hose her down every time because it goes everywhere sad

Marcipex Sun 12-Feb-17 09:14:25

Did you keep any of the fruit? Because otherwise there isn't a lot to go on. There are some nasty bugs around just now.

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 12-Feb-17 09:22:37

No, I binned it as soon as I tasted it.

Rockpebblestone Sun 12-Feb-17 09:28:00

Well, your options are taking her to the doctors or waiting to see how she is.

I doubt you'd get an appointment, except for an emergency, so waiting seems to be your only option unless she deteriorates. Keep her hydrated and feed her 'binding' foods (white bread, root veg, meat/fish).

You have had the same thing, how do you feel?

Rockpebblestone Sun 12-Feb-17 09:30:00

Sorry I didn't see you have an appointment. Mention all to the doctor and see what their advice is. Chances are if this is a local market, if something is wrong, they might have seen other cases.

Rockpebblestone Sun 12-Feb-17 09:32:01

(Yes, you could take a sample for them to test). A chemist might have the pots, if you don't have one.

Rockpebblestone Sun 12-Feb-17 09:35:13

Other than that, check for signs of liver dysfunction (jaundice, dark urine, pale faeces). If she has signs of that ring the number for advice.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sun 12-Feb-17 09:48:28

Are the strawberries retrievable? If you are at all concerned that they are at the root of the problem then you really should have kept them for testing - the Environmental Health people would have liked to have checked them.

As it is, a stool sample might give some idea, but it might be an idea to buy some more from that same stall and see if they taste the same, and if they do, alert Environmental Health. I'm assuming they haven't had their budget destroyed entirely, of course, and are still concerned with substandard foods being sold, but who knows these days. sad angry

MyBreadIsEggy Sun 12-Feb-17 09:54:40

I can't remember if I binned them before I emptied my bin or put them I when I put a new bin bag. I'll have a poke around and see if they are still there. If not, I'll pop to the market Wednesday and get some more...see f they taste funky as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now