Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Northern power grids choice of time to fix a problem

(9 Posts)
bobberybobble Sat 11-Feb-17 23:52:00

So this problem has been going on since at least Thursday. And I am probably being unreasonable but I am being kept awake, so terribly bloody cranky.

Basically the problem is rolling black outs, only lasting a few minutes at a time, but it knocks everything off, including WIFI (which I need to work and get paid, and takes 30 mins to reboot and reconnect). And we haven't had any street lighting since this all started.

I called to complain on Thursday evening as the black outs happened 3 times at home between 6 and 9pm. And I know I am not the only one.

It's now Saturday night, nearly midnight and the engineers are here, with massive drills and diggers, finally fixing the problem. They have been here for over an hour now,.

Is it common practise for this to happen? Am I being really un reasonable to think they have had plenty of time to fix what ever issue in the day time and not in the middle of the night!!!

Just so bloody annoyed, I just want to sleep...

bobberybobble Sat 11-Feb-17 23:53:55

Basically it is like someone cutting down trees with chain saws, hence why I am annoyed and being kept awake!

unfortunateevents Sat 11-Feb-17 23:57:41

Well they were probably fixing someone else's problem earlier? Sounds like they can't win.

bobberybobble Sun 12-Feb-17 00:02:28

I am just annoyed they have had since Thursday to sort it out, if it was an emergency like we didn't have ANY power I would say crack on.

But it's not, as far as I am aware everyone has power over than some steeets don't have lights... and it's effecting the internet for some reason!

ErrolTheDragon Sun 12-Feb-17 00:13:42

I dont suppose they want to be working in the middle of a cold night.hmm maybe they've chosen this time because although unfortunately its noisy for you it will be less disruptive than in the daytime?

bobberybobble Sun 12-Feb-17 00:39:53

I can't imagine it's becUse the middle of the night is less disruptive, we are a semi rural setting, country village up north but still only 10 miles out from the centre of a big city.

Its a commuter village full of families! They have stopped now (just 1 minutes ago)

DS has taken my spot in my bed after beinwojen up, so o so off to go to sleep in his bed or he spare room.

bobberybobble Sun 12-Feb-17 00:42:05

God hope people can understand what I am typing, literally this sleepy I can't even string a sentence!

StinkyMcgrinky Sun 12-Feb-17 00:44:13

Of course they won't want to be working in the middle of the night, but they will most likely be getting paid (or it will be in their job description that night time working is to be expected) so not exactly the same as OP and yet neighbours being kept awake by machinery at this time at night.

I feel your pain OP, not exactly the same but our neighbours decided that 10pm was the best time to install their security light on their backwall, which is about 10ft away from DS1s bedroom window. Hammering and drilling for 45minutes terrified DS (just turned 2, he thought the world was ending) and I've only just got him back off to sleep.

goldopals Sun 12-Feb-17 00:50:19

Oh dear. South Australia has huge problems with the electricity supply and during the recent heat wave, there was frequent brown outs and some places experienced half power. This was during a 40+ degree heat wave!

Last year (late September) we became a laughing stock when the WHOLE BLOODY STATE lost power during a big storm. We had trees and everything down in my town; we heard the SES with chain saws and other heavy, loud equipment from after midnight!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now