Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or was this woman being a complete dick?

(22 Posts)
Grumpybears Sat 11-Feb-17 22:25:33

I've lived in the area a long time, first as a single mum with my DD and latterly with my DH, and then eventually DS as well. The woman is a bit of a nosy cow and likes to be 'involved' in everything; PTA, local groups etc. I frequently see her around as she walks her dog but not friends with her. When DS was tiny, me and DH went for a walk with him and we stopped and exchanged niceties; I introduced DH as they'd not spoken before and she goes, 'Are you the father?'. Then a year later we saw her in the park and had some more chit-chat, I ended up saying how much DS loves DD, his big sister; and she corrected me and said, 'his half sister!'. We don't refer to them as half-siblings and never have done. I was fuming! Am I being unreasonable or is this what passes for normal conversation?

DontTouchTheMoustache Sat 11-Feb-17 22:27:14

Why on earth would she point that out? Very strange! Do you think she was doing it from a judgemental point of view?

She was being a dick

AtrociousCircumstance Sat 11-Feb-17 22:28:25

She's an intrusive, judgmental prick. Ugh. Avoid her from now on.

Reignbunker Sat 11-Feb-17 22:28:53

Agree with Peppac, she was being a dick. What concern is it of hers?

Wolfiefan Sat 11-Feb-17 22:29:30

Do you think she was correcting you or was she maybe trying to check she had her facts right?

Ilovecaindingle Sat 11-Feb-17 22:31:09

What sort to dog does she have? Maybe point out the similarities between them next time - the main one that they are both bitches. .

Pineapplemilkshake Sat 11-Feb-17 22:42:25

She was being a dick. I hope you corrected her!

hickorydickorynurseryrhyme Sat 11-Feb-17 22:46:35

That is so rude of her! She should not have said that at all even if that was what she thought

MichelleFowler Sat 11-Feb-17 22:49:44

Dick

emsyj37 Sat 11-Feb-17 22:51:46

I have a brother and a sister on each 'side' (both my parents were married and widowed before they met, married and had me and they had 2 DCs each from their first marriages). At a family party some arsehole introduced me and my DSis to someone as, "Emsyj and her half sister J". I've never forgotten it - and it was about 30 years ago. YANBU. I boil with fury whenever I think about it. She is my SISTER. That woman was a dick and so is this one.

Blackhouse Sat 11-Feb-17 22:53:09

Horrible, I have a similar family and this would enrage me. I would never talk about my two children as 'half' brothers, awful lady, how dare she!! Tell her to mind her own business.

DorcasthePuffin Sat 11-Feb-17 23:05:46

Definitely dick.

WorraLiberty Sat 11-Feb-17 23:09:48

She was being a dick.

But what does being a nosey cow have to do with being involved in the PTA and local groups?

PTA seem to get a really bad press on Mumsnet and yet they help to raise lots of money for schools, so the kids can have that bit extra.

Grumpybears Sat 11-Feb-17 23:17:16

Thanks all... I was so stunned I didn't say anything... Afterwards I thought of a million things I should've said though (and I also had a big cry!). Emsy I'm sorry that happened to you flowers I am so glad that DD wasn't there (she definitely sees herself as his sister, not half-) and DS was oblivious. I dunno if she was being judgemental or not, I don't really know her well enough to know what her views are or if she would share them. She is extremely nosy and I think that's why she asked if DH was baby's father. I think that was really rude as well as it could've been awkward. Also I was a v young mum when I had DD and she is a fair bit older than me so it might just be a generational thing? Plus the usual nosiness you get from people when you're a teen mum - I have had so many inappropriate questions over the years!!

Ginkypig Sat 11-Feb-17 23:17:51

I have half siblings but I have never acknowledged the half as far as im concerned they are simply my siblings.

And their parent who is technically my step parent is simply my parent even though I had 2 parents who were fully involved already and my parent was known as my siblings uncle and they loved him as much as all their other uncles.

Next time tell her that her opinions were rude and next time she is that rude again you'll blank her.

Grumpybears Sat 11-Feb-17 23:20:49

I put that she was PTA and involved in local groups because she seems to have this need to insert herself into everything going locally. I secretly suspect that it's a way of finding out gossip and rumours about staff, parents and everyone! Though maybe I am being unfair to her and she's doing it for more altruistic reasons.

Grumpybears Sat 11-Feb-17 23:22:16

Ginky I would really love to try saying that to her (or anyone else who's rude!)!! I'm sure the look on her face would be priceless grin

38cody Sat 11-Feb-17 23:41:31

You should have just put her straight but not worth tears.

ItWentInMyEye Sat 11-Feb-17 23:45:09

She sounds like a dick flowers I have 3 kids to 2 dads, in my head - and more importantly theirs - they're just siblings. No half about it.

OptimisticSix Sun 12-Feb-17 00:53:48

We don't do halves here either and that would have annoyed me too!

AlmostAJillSandwich Sun 12-Feb-17 01:08:34

Maybe shes got a bee in her bonnet about people having children with more than one man. Maybe she martyred herself into an unhappy marriage etc because she found out her partner was/became a dick AFTER having baby number 1.
Unless people are having 5 or 6 kids with 4+ different dads what does it matter if someone had a baby in what was intended to be a long term/lifetime relationship that ended unexpectedly, and find a new long term partner they want to have a biological family with.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now