Talk

Advanced search

To think free means costing no money ???

(20 Posts)
Foreverhungry Sat 11-Feb-17 21:52:54

My dh has sprung it on me that he has the chance to go abroad for a weeks free holiday, so I reluctantly agreed only to have been told it's actually costing £200 and that he will also need another £100 for food, his only argument is that "yes but the holiday isn't costing me anything" he cannot understand that the food and travel is costing money. This argument has been going round in circles all night he cannot understand where I'm coming from, surely free means no cost ?

thebakerwithboobs Sat 11-Feb-17 21:55:39

Can you afford the £300? If not, he can't go. But you're right-it's a cheap holiday, not a free one. If I were you I would spend £300 in the sales and say 'but it was free...'

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:56:33

I would think a 'free holiday' probably only applied to the accommodation.

DrivingMeBonkers Sat 11-Feb-17 21:57:37

The accommodation will be free, but you would expect someone to pay for their won travel (be that flights or in the form of petrol) and their own food.

carabos Sat 11-Feb-17 21:57:39

So does he mean that he isn't paying for the accommodation? That that bit of it is free? Of course it's not a free holiday if he incurs costs over and above what he would have had to spend at home.

Celaena Sat 11-Feb-17 21:58:34

whats he paying the £200 for?

DrivingMeBonkers Sat 11-Feb-17 22:04:13

Are you objecting to him going or the peripheral costs?

Foreverhungry Sat 11-Feb-17 22:04:24

we are pushing it but can afford it, he's been asked to accompany a friend they are driving and would be camping when they get there.

DrivingMeBonkers Sat 11-Feb-17 22:06:49

Pure nosiness, where are they driving to that would cost £200 in petrol?

I presume the free bit is the tent and sleeping bags?

ThePinkOcelot Sat 11-Feb-17 22:09:13

I would expect free to mean costs no money. YANBU xx

Foreverhungry Sat 11-Feb-17 22:10:23

It's a fishing trip somewhere in France.

Floggingmolly Sat 11-Feb-17 22:19:44

Where does the free part come in, when the accommodation is a tent? What does he think he's getting free? is he a bit thick?

DrivingMeBonkers Sat 11-Feb-17 22:25:38

A weeks fishing in France is the thick end of £600; I presume the permits are already bought and he is stepping into someone's vacant slot, or the tent accommodates an extra person, so he's getting a vastly reduced holiday as he won't have to pay for a tent or sleeping bag or permits, it may even include the bait and rods. So from that aspect the holiday its self is 'free' but the transports to and from plus food isn't.

Oldraver Sat 11-Feb-17 22:28:09

If he's going fishing the £300 will just be the start of costs

SecretNutellaFix Sat 11-Feb-17 22:33:00

So when do you get to splurge £300 on a holiday?

StillSeekingResponsibleAdult Sat 11-Feb-17 22:34:34

Is he going to reciprocate with a week off for you and £300 spending money? If not then why should he be getting this holiday?

Foreverhungry Sat 11-Feb-17 22:35:14

If he said I've the chance to go on a cheap holiday then there would be no problem it's the fact he's booked it then sprung the £300 on me that's pissed me off and he can't see where I'm coming from.

MycatsaPirate Sat 11-Feb-17 22:36:35

Won't he want spending money as well?

DontTouchTheMoustache Sat 11-Feb-17 22:39:02

I second the comment about him being a bit thick. And would like to add a bit selfish to the mix.

EweAreHere Sat 11-Feb-17 22:41:32

He wasn't honest with you from the beginning. That's really poor form.

It's a somewhat cheap holiday, if that really is all he's spending, but not a free one. And I'm sure it will be more than that if there's fishing and drinking invovled.

I agree with others. Are you going to be able to spend £300 on a frivolous get away with your friends?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now