Talk

Advanced search

Chickenpox & early pregnancy- how worried should I be?

(13 Posts)
itsnotterrysitsmine Sat 11-Feb-17 21:35:02

I'm nearly 8 weeks pregnant & DS1 has come out in chickenpox. I had chickenpox as a child. Had a quick google & some of the info says only minor risk to mum & baby, other info says the opposite. Wondered if anyone else had any experience of this or useful info?

savagehk Sat 11-Feb-17 21:37:09

Worth calling your midwives, but I'd think as you've had it before you should be ok.

dementedpixie Sat 11-Feb-17 21:37:51

As you had it as a child chances are you are immune and don't need to worry at all

Kr1stina Sat 11-Feb-17 21:38:17

Yes it's a concern , as far as aI know it's because it's a risk to you and not the baby . But I think it's later in pregnancy . I'm sorry I don't know why that is.

My toddler got chickenpox when I was pg and they did a blood test to check that I'd had it and so it was fine. I don't know if they will want to do a blood test on you if you are sure you have had or or it's in your medical records .

Hopefully a HCP professional will come along soon and give you proper advice .

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 11-Feb-17 21:38:22

If you've had it already you should be fine. My eldest had it when I was pregnant and it's a risk to those without immunity.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Sat 11-Feb-17 21:38:55

Only a risk to those...

WeedlesHatOfDisappointment Sat 11-Feb-17 21:39:38

I'd tell your midwife. Ds had chicken pox when I was 36 weeks pregnant. I had to have a blood test to ensure that I had immunity.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Sat 11-Feb-17 21:40:02

Do make sure you inform your midwife, you can get chicken pox more than once (not common, but it does happen). Hopefully all will be fine, but it's worth checking.

TinyTemperamental Sat 11-Feb-17 21:41:40

If you've had it already, you should be immune.
However, my husband got it twice (once as a child, and once recently- got it from my son).
So do speak to your midwife and inform her.
My SIL got a chickenpox vaccination in her pregnancy so you could be suggested that.

helensburgh Sat 11-Feb-17 21:42:58

Your gp can check your immunity. Should be absolutly fine

AgathaMystery Sat 11-Feb-17 21:45:42

GP for a blood test if you are really worried. Or, more realistically, ring for a telephone apt and your GP/ practice nurse will do you a blood form for you to collect and get bloods done. You don't need a face to face GP apt. You are going to be immune though.

Littlecaf Sat 11-Feb-17 21:48:43

I'm in the same boat. 8 weeks pg and DS has just had chicken pox. Didn't even think to speak to midwife or GP but the NHS Direct website said it's fine if you've had it - you have the immunity. Personally I'm more concerned about a couple of friends who are pg and have been around DS when he was infectious, have told them he's got chicken pox but not sure if they are immune.

Littlecaf Sat 11-Feb-17 21:51:34

Here's the link for the NHS direct info - but it centres on you getting chicken pox rather than your child when you are pg.

So only a risk if you get it and then it's a very small risk

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/1109.aspx?CategoryID=54&SubCategoryID=137

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now