Talk

Advanced search

WIBU...buy flowers for my health visitor?

(18 Posts)
creepymumweirdo Sat 11-Feb-17 21:27:48

Don't want to be inappropriate or the class weirdo...

DC has his 15 month check next week. Had the appointment through the post and it's a home visit.

I had a truly awful time in the months after DC arrived and my health visitor was an absolute diamond in a sea of shite. She was the only health care professional (and I was under A LOT) who was consistent, mindful, person centred, kind... the list goes on. She scraped me off the floor, made emergency GP appointments and drove me there, always took time to listen, was always there for me but never pushy. I don't think I'd have got through it all in tact without her.

I'm really looking forward to seeing her again, particularly now I'm well and happy and DC is thriving. I'd like to do something to make sure she knows how valued she is to our family. I thought I'd get her a bunch of flowers and a card.

Is this massively weird?

Also, is it normal to do 15 month HV checks at home? It's ok if it's not usual. My situation was hideous enough that I can see why she'd want to see me at home again (she always visited me at home when DC was tiny).

Thanks smile

Wolfiefan Sat 11-Feb-17 21:29:11

I think it sounds lovely. Mine are older so I can't remember where we sent or if that check was done at home.
Hope you are ok now.

iveburntthetoast Sat 11-Feb-17 21:31:03

I had a similar HV. She probably saved my life. I never got the chance to say thank you properly because she went off on long-term sick leave. I don't think getting flowers is weird at all.

Crunchyside Sat 11-Feb-17 21:32:26

I think it's fine although I'm not sure if they're allowed to accept gifts, even just flowers? Maybe a HV or similar can come and clarify though.

I did give my community midwife a thank you card after she discharged me to the HV as she helped me so much with breastfeeding as well as with my horrible, infected, painful episiotomy. But it was just a card with a nice message.

vinca Sat 11-Feb-17 21:32:34

I think that's very thoughtful. I wonder if the home visit will mean she has a bit more time for a catch up with you. I expect she will be looking forward to seeing you too smile

wrinkleseverywhere Sat 11-Feb-17 21:35:52

I took flowers in to my HV the week my youngest started school. I hadn't seen her for a couple of years as visits to see her had fizzled out as the children got older so I had never properly thanked her for being so supportive, kind and sympathetic. She gave good guidance when I turned out to be having pfb panics but still listened & took me seriously (so referred me) when I told her I was genuinely concerned about DC2.
She cried when I gave them to her.

redcaryellowcar Sat 11-Feb-17 21:37:43

I think it's a lovely idea, I'm sure she'd be delighted. I think in almost everything we do in life we say thank you far too rarely, go ahead, it's a great plan.

Mummatron3000 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:40:59

Do it, sounds like a lovely idea. I imagine HVs put up with a lot of shit so having people show gratitude must be gratefully received.
I had my 12m and 27m checks at home, so sounds routine to me.

AgathaMystery Sat 11-Feb-17 21:42:01

She will be over the moon. Also a card... cards are kept forever but most HCP honestly flowers

littlewoodentrike Sat 11-Feb-17 21:42:26

AFAIK, she can accept them, provided it does not alter her care given to you. It sounds like a lovely idea, and I think she would be very touched. It's the sort of job that rarely gets a thank you.

peaceloveandbiscuits Sat 11-Feb-17 21:45:14

Not weird at all. I did the same for my HV when she came to do my DS' one year check. She came to see me every two weeks, sometimes just to check we were alive, I think. She went over and above for us and she saved my life.
So happy that you're in a better place smile

mineofuselessinformation Sat 11-Feb-17 21:48:51

I had a truly fabulous HV. She was down to earth and had a lot of common sense. I think it would be lovely - and she'll be very pleased.

I wish I had been able to do this for my midwife. Out of the sea of MW who I saw after DD she was the only one to understand.
She was the one to sign me off from the midwife but I was still pretty ill following dd's birth that I couldn't physically leave the house to get anything. I'm sure she would appreciate the thought

Crunchymum Sat 11-Feb-17 22:01:17

It's quite common for 1y check to be done at home.

Lovely to hear about all these wonderful HV's. They generally don't have a good rep.

TarragonChicken Sat 11-Feb-17 22:01:52

Different trusts will have different policies on gifts, but I would be surprised if flowers were a problem. I am sure a card would be very much appreciated. Make sure you spell out how she has helped you, as everyone registered with the NMC needs to provide feedback on their practice!

feeona123 Sat 11-Feb-17 22:02:19

Does it state it's with the same hv? Mine have been with random hv'S who I've never met before x

missymayhemsmum Sat 11-Feb-17 23:54:12

How lovely to see a mumsnet thread about a brilliant HV for once! No, YANBU to buy her flowers and a card to say how much you have appreciated her support

OnlyTheDepthVaries Sun 12-Feb-17 12:16:45

I sent a bouquet of flowers to my HV on my DS first birthday. She was fabulous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now