Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to help me argue with an anti-vaxxer on fb

(854 Posts)
GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sat 11-Feb-17 21:24:12

I know, I know. But it's Saturday night, DP is out and I am just home whilst our (fully vaccinated!) DD is asleep.

What do I say to someone who is convinced that we should all do our own research, that vaccines are only about big pharma making big bucks, and that the govt hushes up vaccine damage??

Juveniledelinquent Sat 11-Feb-17 21:25:34

Say, "I refuse to feed you"

ilovesooty Sat 11-Feb-17 21:26:38

Don't waste your time.

Wolfiefan Sat 11-Feb-17 21:27:43

You can't argue with crazy.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sat 11-Feb-17 21:27:53

Sigh, I know you're right. And he's actually a really decent bloke, he just thinks he's spotted a massive conspiracy theory.

I must step away from the app!

formerbabe Sat 11-Feb-17 21:28:15

Don't bother...You'll just end up getting wound up!

TheHodgeoftheHedge Sat 11-Feb-17 21:28:33

You show them this
youtu.be/RfdZTZQvuCo

CaravanOnCraggyIsland Sat 11-Feb-17 21:29:51

Tell him unless he's performed an independent literature review, and is able to interpret all the studies and critically analyse them, then he's probably wasting his time.

Doobydoo Sat 11-Feb-17 21:30:02

If you are so for them you must be able to present your reasons .

chibsortig Sat 11-Feb-17 21:30:06

Definitely share Hodges video it was the one i was going to post failing that direct them to the tinfoil and back away real quick.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sat 11-Feb-17 21:30:29

Ohhhh, his mate has just jumped in and told me I have been "programmed by fear".

What planet are these people on?

SmallBee Sat 11-Feb-17 21:32:59

There are no winners when you argue on the Internet.

Having said that, unless they've got the necessary medical qualifications how can they successfully conduct thorough research on the matter from trustworthy and peer reviewed sources?

EndoplasmicReticulum Sat 11-Feb-17 21:33:53

There's no point arguing, their mind is already made up. Nothing you can say will make the slightest bit of difference.

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sat 11-Feb-17 21:34:34

I started off with exactly that, caravan and small. Got told that we just needed to look at how many kids didn't get vaccinated and didn't have autism, that was all the science we needed!!

MsSampson Sat 11-Feb-17 21:35:05

Haha, I don't know why I clicked on a thread about anti vaxxers at 9.30 on a Saturday night after a few glasses of wine, because that way madness lies, but that video is awesome, so I'm glad I did, thanks!

GoesDownLikeACupOfColdSick Sat 11-Feb-17 21:37:21

Now they're saying "they" have found a "cure for autism". Don't even know where to start with that!!!!! You're all so right, I'm out.

He's lovely in most respects but you can't argue with stupid!

flumpybear Sat 11-Feb-17 21:38:15

Ok - what about third world and their lack of vaccines shock causes death - plus perhaps they're fear thing could be turned around to their mindset?!

flumpybear Sat 11-Feb-17 21:39:18

Cure autism ... they're taking hard drugs ..... hmm

janecrisplover Sat 11-Feb-17 21:42:33

That's what you need to reply 'can't argue with stupid!!'. Xxx

GladAllOver Sat 11-Feb-17 21:49:25

Ask him "Have you heard about the Chemtrails that are poisoning us?"
That should keep him quiet for a while smile

Teapot13 Sat 11-Feb-17 21:59:02

Agree it probably isn't worth it but you could tell him that "research" in this context doesn't mean reading articles on the Internet -- it means conducting studies that then get replicated and published in peer-reviewed journals.

SherlockPotter Sat 11-Feb-17 22:00:43

Don't waste your time. They're too stubborn to believe anything else.

FreeNiki Sat 11-Feb-17 22:07:37

I'd post this and then leave it.

youtu.be/GLqS5dAxKj8

Twofurrycats Sat 11-Feb-17 22:07:54

I like the idea of chucking chemtrails in to the mix. Fight fire with fire. Suggest that anti vax is an idea spread by the new world order to cause world depopulation. Mention Denver airport. Leave them to it.

SmallBee Sun 12-Feb-17 02:44:48

I'd be tempted to reply with

' you've convinced me. Good job,really great, I'm so enlightened now. Huge enlightenment, really bigly. I have great respect for anti vaxxers. '

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now