Talk

Advanced search

To ask where you go if you're disabled, broke, no family and not an economically viable person?

(63 Posts)
PippaThePauper Sat 11-Feb-17 21:01:59

I currently live in London. I have to stay here for 6 months more for definite to finish some medical treatment. After that I think I need to get out of this city it's too expensive. I'm facing up to the fact my body isn't healthy enough to allow me to work full time. I do 3 days per week and I'm almost comatose with exhaustion and pain doing that.

Where do I go though? What part of the UK should I look at? I'd love to be properly rural, but am scared of being isolated and also not near centres of excellence for my medical needs.

I suffer severely from anxiety and have been sexually assaulted before so terrified of going somewhere that turns out to be a bad neighbourhood and being targeted.

Wwyd? Where would you go that's safe and affordable?

Ummmmgogo Sat 11-Feb-17 21:05:01

I'd stay in london. You have a job and access to excellent healthcare. That counts for a lot.

Can you drive? Rural or out of london is much much easier with a car xx

BikeRunSki Sat 11-Feb-17 21:06:13

Can it be anywhere? Do you need to find a job somewhere? Public transport? North, south, Midlands?

mumonashoestring Sat 11-Feb-17 21:09:20

Not Oxford! Cost of living here is crazy-high, worse than London in some places. Would it be worth talking to your consultant or one of the charities that relates to your medical needs to start mapping out where good treatment can be found?

SilenceOfThePrams Sat 11-Feb-17 21:09:52

Where else is a centre of excellence for your particular condition?

Start off by finding those hospitals, then look at work/housing/social care in the areas nearby.

Alfieisnoisy Sat 11-Feb-17 21:09:58

Hi Pippa, do you have social housing? Is it worth applying if not?

I am in Essex which is only a train ride away from London...about 30 mins. Cheaper than London but still expensive. Most areas (even the more notorious ones) are fine generally,

formerbabe Sat 11-Feb-17 21:14:55

Do you have no family at all? If not, how about friends? Where are they living?

PippaThePauper Sat 11-Feb-17 21:23:08

I definitely need to be able to work, even if only 3 days is as much as I can manage. Bit worried about finding work, it was tough enough to find something that I can do with my health. It's ok pay in my opinion but it just doesn't go far in London. My rent has gone up and it just covers my that. It's in a shared house, I can't get cheaper.

I feel hopeless. What future can I have if I can't earn enough to take care of myself?

PippaThePauper Sat 11-Feb-17 21:24:25

No my family are not exactly welcoming. Friends have drifted away over the course of my illness. I have nice acquaintances for sure, but nobody I would move house to be near. That would be odd of me!

Willyoujustbequiet Sat 11-Feb-17 21:41:12

Northumberland. Houses are cheap. Countryside and beaches are stunning and Geordies are very friendly.

Newcastle has some internationally renowned hospitals and leading national centres.

NarkyMcDinkyChops Sat 11-Feb-17 21:42:42

I'd go to a market town in the North somewhere. Yorkshire maybe.

PlayOnWurtz Sat 11-Feb-17 21:44:09

Avoid rural locations if you have disabilities likely to land you needing care or hospital treatments. Avoid the south East it's too pricey. Try the south West.

AHedgehogCanNeverBeBuggered Sat 11-Feb-17 21:45:23

How about Chesterfield? Great hospital, cheap housing, on the edge of the Peak District.

PovertyJetset Sat 11-Feb-17 21:45:56

Glasgow, west or south side.

PovertyJetset Sat 11-Feb-17 21:46:59

Great hospitals, close to the coast and a hop skip and jump to the countryside. Glaswegians are super friendly and very community minded.

Can you guess where I am from?

KnittedBlanketHoles Sat 11-Feb-17 21:48:22

Yorkshire maybe.

Only if you don't mind no ethnic diversity whatsoever.

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 11-Feb-17 21:48:27

Can you tell us what line(s) of work you could do as that massively affects where you could live.

Do your disabilities affect how far you can walk? Can you drive a car?

heavenlypink Sat 11-Feb-17 21:50:00

I second willyoujustbequiet Affordable housing Lower living costs Great hospitals in fact every hospital trust in the North East is performing above the national rate.

PippaThePauper Sat 11-Feb-17 21:51:43

It's difficult for me to be more than about a two minute walk from public transport. I don't have a car and suspect it would not be affordable for me a all, when I had cars before they seemed to use up a lot of money.

My job is in marketing.

TinselAngel Sat 11-Feb-17 21:52:38

I'd second the poster above's vote for Chesterfield or Sheffield. Great hospitals, good transport and right next to the Peak District.

carabos Sat 11-Feb-17 21:55:07

knittedblanket
No ethnic diversity whatsoever in Yorkshire? Yorkshire? Have you ever been to Yorkshire? You know, where Bradford is. And Leeds, Keighley, Dewsbury, and and and - towns and cities with some of the highest populations of non-white people in the UK? That Yorkshire. Or is there some other Yorkshire? hmm.

NarkyMcDinkyChops Sat 11-Feb-17 21:56:09

Yorkshire maybe.Only if you don't mind no ethnic diversity whatsoever

Yorkshire is 15% non-White British!

BossWitch Sat 11-Feb-17 21:57:52

You beat me to it carabos!

carabos Sat 11-Feb-17 21:59:30

Cross posts with all the other posters who've actually been to or live in Yorkshire confused.

Willyoujustbequiet Sat 11-Feb-17 22:02:27

Its Northumberland that has no ethnic diversity. Its the whitest part of the country.

I think the poster was a bit too far south when they said it was Yorkshire.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now