Talk

Advanced search

To think moving to London isn't completely in doable

(265 Posts)
user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:35:23

I'm a qualified social worker currently living in chester.

I have been taking driving lessons for months now and I've not completely run out of money as I'm currently unemployed.

My problem is that to realistically work as a social worker here I need a car. I'm doing well in interviews and as soon as I have to say I don't drive everything changes.

I almost got a job as a hospital social worker but was second place.

user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:38:08

Sorry posted too early.

I currently have a housing association house in an area I'm not keen on at all. It's not rough but has nothing going for it and a bus is needed to get anywhere.

I feel there is nothing here for my son and I and until I can drive will be unemployed as hospital social worker jobs are far and few between. I'm becoming depressed with my prospects.

There are loads of jobs in a London for social workers, none of which need a car due to the fact London has such a good tram system and a large concentration of people hence each social worker covers a smaller area.

Would it be unrealistic to move to London if I got a job? I would be starting in £33,000

user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:39:24

It would mean giving up a secure tenancy win right to acquire and moving into private rent which is the only thing putting me off. But I can't stay unemployed forever.

BlancheBlue Sat 11-Feb-17 19:41:14

Depends what lifestyle you want/would be happy with? London Boroughs are frequently recruiting social workers and some have golden hellos and recruitment and retention payments.

I obviously don't know your personal financial circumstances, but as I'm sure you know, renting is hugely expensive in London let alone buying...

monkeysox Sat 11-Feb-17 19:42:15

Move to a different area that has a ha tenancy available which has social work.jobs which do not require you to drive?
There are lots in the ne

YippieKayakOtherBuckets Sat 11-Feb-17 19:44:07

What about other regional cities where you could also manage without a car but the cost of housing etc is more reasonable? Manchester and Liverpool would be the obvious places to start...

user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:45:49

Even though a lot of job adverts don't specifically require a car, in reality it would be hard to do the job anywhere outside of London without a car. It would be very difficult.

I have a son who would also need to be dropped off to school and picked up again. I can't see any viable option except London.

I have only a few hundred pounds in savings but some jobs do give relocation packages.

My main concern is right now my housing association house is worth £130,000 and I can buy it for £70,000 with no deposit. I would never ever get that in london.so it feels like I'd be growing away a great opportunity.

But if I can't get a job I will never be able to buy the place anyway. So part of me feels moving there for that is a waste.

I would start on £33,000 and it progresses to another £38,000

user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:46:25

I live in between Chester and Manchester. Manchester is impossible without a car. No tram system and visits are city wide.

FourToTheFloor Sat 11-Feb-17 19:46:31

I don't think the salary is high enough tbh. There is no point moving to London to get a job if you can't really survive here.

user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:48:26

People must live in London on less than £33,000. I wouldn't need to be anywhere remotely fashionable.

BlancheBlue Sat 11-Feb-17 19:51:25

Two bedroom flats for rental are not cheap in any part of London

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Sat 11-Feb-17 19:53:55

Birmingham? Local trains and buses and it's the second largest city so might be doable.

But honestly if there's any possible way you can beg borrow or call in favours to get that driving licence then that's the way to go.

Mrsknackered Sat 11-Feb-17 19:55:44

If I was you I would consider Manchester or Leeds. Same city vibe, fairly good transport links.
I've live in one of the above and London. You don't want to be driving in London it's a nightmare and financially London is so tough.
Much better quality of living up north IMO!

witwootoodleoo Sat 11-Feb-17 19:57:07

I have a friend who is a social worker, lives in Manchester and can't drive. She does a largely office based role - bit shaky on what exactly she does as she can't talk about it much but I think it involves liaising with the police in relation to children at risk. So I wouldn't give up hope of ever finding an office based job as there are some.

London would be very hard on that money as you'll be paying at least £1200pcm for a 2 bed flat even in cheaper areas.

Could you take a temporarily take enough job like supermarket work to fund completing your driving lessons?

Domino20 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:57:37

Why not look at exchange?? HA properties are allowed to use the mutual exchange website.

user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:58:53

I did both my placements in Manchester so worked as a student social worker in Manchester for a total of a year.

It's incredibly hard without a car. Very poor transport links. No tram. It was almost impossible. And it's Manchester I have been applying for. As soon as they know you can't drive they are not interested.

There are some jobs that don't require a car (hospital work and mash team) but they're far and few between.

Fjord1983 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:58:59

I think is unrealistic to live in London with that amount, unless you rent on the outskirts but then you'll spend a lot of money in transport - assuming you will be working in central London. Wouldn't it be easier to focus on getting a driving license? You could find a job that doesn't require a car meanwhile.

user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:59:29

I've been on the houseswap register for two years now. I've literally had no interest. It's not surprising. Where I live is a place no one would want to move to!

user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 20:00:27

Most of the jobs come with a perk of a travel card as you need one for work so it comes free.

I just can't afford any more driving lessons so that's why I've realised I may need to
Move. I just don't have the cash.

WrittenandGrown Sat 11-Feb-17 20:00:30

I really would do what you can to get your driving test passed. You will have lots of options when you do that. I think you have a better change of a better standard of living where you aren't now than in London.

LBOCS2 Sat 11-Feb-17 20:01:49

To be blunt, you would struggle. I live in a cheap part of London and a private rental on a 2 bed flat is around £1k - £1.2k. Plus bills and council tax. Full time childcare is £1k a month. That's your whole salary gone, and on £33k you don't get much (if any) government help. Your travel card would be another £120ish on top of that. HA properties are like hen's teeth and you wouldn't be a priority as you could afford to house yourself.

I would look somewhere cheaper.

TheProblemOfSusan Sat 11-Feb-17 20:03:14

Honestly, don't. You'll never have a good quality of life here on that much for two people. You'll be bloody lucky to find a two bed anywhere for less than £1300 and in any case, what about the 6 weeks' deposit and first month's rent?

bestcatintheworld Sat 11-Feb-17 20:03:20

Manchester has a tram system?

allegretto Sat 11-Feb-17 20:04:52

I can't see how it would ever be cheaper to move to London and rent privately rather than stay where you are and get your driving licence.

user1486841477 Sat 11-Feb-17 20:04:59

Yes it does but it isn't like the London tram system. There is a huge portion it just doesn't cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now