Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To hate the new British Heart Foundation advert ?

(17 Posts)
SittinginaSleazySnackBar Sat 11-Feb-17 18:57:34

Just saw the new British Heart Foundation advert.
We donate to the charity as it's very close to home, I just think it's perhaps a little bit too much, I wasn't expecting it to upset me the way it has.
OH thinks I'm being over sensitive as we are currently planning our wedding.

Giddyaunt18 Sat 11-Feb-17 18:58:36

Oh my god it is truly awful. I thought it was a joke. It certainly gets the point across but I think it's pretty poor taste especially as one appears in the ad break for a wedding show!

Floggingmolly Sat 11-Feb-17 18:58:38

What is it?

Giddyaunt18 Sat 11-Feb-17 18:59:53

www.bhf.org.uk/when-you-least-expect-it/our-new-tv-ad

Janey50 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:00:09

Is that the one where a woman drops down dead at a wedding?

ssd Sat 11-Feb-17 19:00:28

agree, I dont like it

pishedoff Sat 11-Feb-17 19:02:58

Oh don't like it either sad

Was it the BHF advert where the Dad "visits" the boy at school and asks him to look after his mum? Hate that one too

HomeFree55 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:04:24

Agree - I hate it.

My 5yo DD was born with heart disease, and after seeing this advert asked if she would just die all of a sudden too. I am a big supporter of the BHF and raising awareness but definitely feel this is too graphic

Redglitter Sat 11-Feb-17 19:04:33

I was really taken aback first time I saw it. Really don't like it

StillaChocoholic Sat 11-Feb-17 19:06:55

I'm pregnant so a little bit more emotional than normal but this advert really gets to me.
I think it's the "sorry for ruining your big day", it really pisses me off.

MummyPigLovesAppleSauce Sat 11-Feb-17 19:10:34

Oh eck, just watched it via the link and I agree, it's a bit much!

SittinginaSleazySnackBar Sat 11-Feb-17 19:10:41

I'm a massive softy and cry at everything, but I was too shocked to cry.
I thought it would of upset OH as his DF won't be at our wedding because he passed away due to a heart condition, but he thought I was being daft.

U2HasTheEdge Sat 11-Feb-17 19:14:21

It's bloody horrible. No need for it at all.

Crunchyside Sat 11-Feb-17 19:15:19

I don't think it's got anything positive going for it. The message about research at the end just isn't strong enough to make up for the sadness. So it doesn't have the intended impact.

To be honest it just makes you think, if a fit young (ish) woman can randomly keel over and die at a happy occasion with no warning signs, there's probably nothing that can be done so what's the point in donating? How would "research" help someone who has shown absolutely no danger signs, unless they discover some kind of miraculous new screening method that also gets approved by the government/NHS and rolled out across the country for all ages?

Meanwhile if they showed how to spot warning signs and how going to the doctor about your concerns can make a difference between death or survival and getting to attend your loved one's wedding- that would have the result of raising awareness. Or showing how research has led to someone surviving after a heart attack when they might have died a decade ago - that might encourage people to donate.

This advert just leaves you feeling gloomy and not motivated to donate to them!

I love BHF and always choose them to donate to when I have stuff to give away to charity shops but this ad sucks.

StillStayingClassySanDiego Sat 11-Feb-17 19:19:16

I found the 'Dad visiting the school' one extremely hard to watch and emotive, I haven't clicked the link for this one.

I donate regularly to BHF and CRY as they do such good work and fantastic fundraising but I find these hard hitting ads too much.

thisismyfirsttime Sat 11-Feb-17 19:21:59

Crunchy that was my thought too! Why would that advert encourage you to donate? You could win £100mil on the Euromillions and donate the lot but it still wouldn't have saved her! It's a better advert for life insurance.

Eminybob Sat 11-Feb-17 19:22:03

It's awful.
It was on at the cinema where I had gone to watch a film, me and my friend just looked at each other like this shock
Really sad. I'm not good at watching stuff like that so I choose not to watch sad films etc. It could be really triggering for some and could have ruined a night out for someone at the cinema.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now