Talk

Advanced search

Told off for using P&C space in a van

(32 Posts)
MaryJonesSpaceDetective Sat 11-Feb-17 18:44:26

It's a work van with a set of seats in the back. Would be lovely to run a second car with windows for the kids but we can't justify the expense. We hire a car for long hot journeys.

We parked in a nice convenient space in Sainsbury's car park and started to get out. A man drove past and challenged DH quite rudely saying 'So what, you've got kids in the back have you?' and drove off. Um, yes, yes we do, a 3yo and a 1yo, in the seats you can't see. We couldn't get them out quickly enough to wave at his retreating vehicle and are now smarting impotently as only two docile etiquette-following queuers can when wrongly accused on a matter of courtesy.

So aibu to worry that you've all been judging me for the last 3 years every time you've seen me parked in a P&C space?

EatSpamAmandaLamb Sat 11-Feb-17 18:47:21

Was this in Gtr Manc? Because I saw the same argument today.

DoJo Sat 11-Feb-17 18:50:24

Imagine how empty his life must be if this is how he gets his kicks?
On a separate note, do you mind me asking what kind of van you have? We looking for something to double as a child and equipment transporter and are overwhelmed with the options!

Eminybob Sat 11-Feb-17 18:52:32

I'll be honest, if I see a van in a p&c space I usually assume no kids but needed a bigger space.
Doesn't bother me either way really, I certainly wouldn't say anything.
And what a dick to say something then drive off before you can answer!

Wolfiefan Sat 11-Feb-17 18:56:10

Ha. I'm like Dojo. More interested in the vehicle. (I have a huge dog!)
Couldn't care less who parks in PC spaces. But if you parked in disabled without a BB I would say something or report.

Brightsmoke Sat 11-Feb-17 19:10:57

Honestly OP, if you know you are using the spaces correctly, then sod them!

Wolfie, consider a pick up if you haven't already. We put mutts in the back, and have a nice clean, non-dog smelling space in the front smile

MaryJonesSpaceDetective Sat 11-Feb-17 19:16:59

No EatSpam we're in the SE. I feel strangely relieved we're not the only ones. Was it a fiery exchange?

It's a Vauxhall Combo so barely bigger than most cars but takes a decent load with the back seats down. Not exactly snazzy but reliable and easy to handle. Definitely no need for extra parking space without the kids.

You've put your finger on it DoJo, not being able to clear things up quite distressed us. Plus it's got a work logo on it so won't be doing us any favours if people routinely think we're being selfish.

I think I'm secretly hoping someone will hop on the threat and say 'it was me, I understand now. You're exonerated!

MaryJonesSpaceDetective Sat 11-Feb-17 19:18:01

Thank you all for the responses. It's actually really reassuring.

EatSpamAmandaLamb Sat 11-Feb-17 19:20:33

It was fairly firey, yes! My DB and I took quite a long time to unpack the two bags of shopping into the boot grin

JenniferYellowHat1980 Sat 11-Feb-17 19:22:04

Is it your own business and if so, do you have a Facebook profile? If so I'd be tempted to post a slightly PA pic of the family in the vehicle.

TinselTwins Sat 11-Feb-17 19:24:36

I think some people haunt the P&C space because they feel like taking out their bad mood on someone else.

If you go there with anything other than a family saloon or people carrier be prepared to be yelled at first, questions asked later…

I avoid P&C

TinselTwins Sat 11-Feb-17 19:26:34

P&C space drivers are also often the rudest and most inconsiderate, they will run over your child just to get in or out of their space. Most other car park area users are more considerate and look out for pedestrians.

OP don't worry about what P&C types think of you, they're an odd (and angry) breed!

MaryJonesSpaceDetective Sat 11-Feb-17 19:26:39

I would have done the same EatSpam! Jennifer that's a great idea!

AntiHop Sat 11-Feb-17 19:28:13

Could you display one of those baby on board signs?

TinselTwins Sat 11-Feb-17 19:32:09

Could you display one of those baby on board signs?

Why? to pander to the P&C users who can't get their head round the fact that not every parent swaps their vehicle for a "mom car" as soon as they drop a sprog?

Maybe other people could just not be asshats and learn to ask nicely when in doubt

TheAntiBoop Sat 11-Feb-17 19:34:07

I suppose it depends on the van - if it has sliding doors I'm not sure you need a wider space.

But I'm always amazed by people who try and police them. Just let him have his rant to all and sundry who will probably not care a jot and don't wast your own brain time on him!

MaryJonesSpaceDetective Sat 11-Feb-17 19:34:07

Maybe this is the right scenario for a baby on board sign! I think we may indeed avoid them in future. It's helpful to have a space to safely (well hopefully) stand the 3yo old near me while I get the baby out and to manoeuvre trolleys and infants but actually the back doors slide so I guess we have less need than other parents.

TinselTwins Sat 11-Feb-17 19:36:39

It's helpful to have a space to safely (well hopefully) stand the 3yo old near me while I get the baby out and to manoeuvre trolleys and infants

in theory, but in practice the angry way that people park in them and behave policing them ends up making them less safe than regular spaces

MaryJonesSpaceDetective Sat 11-Feb-17 19:37:18

Cross post TheAntiBoop. Probably you're right, though it does help.

I guess he was trying to do the right civic-minded thing, sort of, rudely. It's a good thing he drove off so quickly so I couldn't run after him clasping DD to my bosom and gesticulating...

TinselTwins Sat 11-Feb-17 19:37:37

even if you drive the approved people carrier they'll still speed up and run over your kid so they can get to the non parent looking car after you roll down their window and yell at them!

thestarryeyedsurprise Sat 11-Feb-17 19:45:08

Theanti whilst parent and child spaces are wider this isn't the only reason to use them. They are closer to the stores meaning it's safer to get children there without the need to travel through a busy car park with childen in tow.

needapaddle Sat 11-Feb-17 19:49:05

My youngest today as we were sat in traffic asked me why does the car in front have a 'baby on board' sticker. My answer was 'no idea' - has always baffled me, is it a boast (well done you, made a baby) is is a warning (may be sleep deprived and drive erratically..) or is it a weird entitled thing where the driver expects people to reverently slow down to a crawl as their special snowflake is on board (surely if the person reading it is a good/bad driver then reading that will make fuck all difference!)!?

Anyway, here is my answer - you should definitely have one for arseholes like that so they don't make stupid assumptions!

HorridHenryrule Sat 11-Feb-17 19:51:39

You did nothing wrong try and put it behind you.

MixedGrill Sat 11-Feb-17 19:55:25

So should people with kids in Berlingos, or people carriers with sliding doors, not use P&C spaces?

Goodness, a lot of notices and an understanding of hidden etiquette is needed to manage a car park.....

RedSauce Sat 11-Feb-17 19:55:58

I wouldn't let it bother you so much. Guy was obviously having a bad day/life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now