Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To have abandonned my diet?

(33 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Sat 11-Feb-17 16:01:19

Just for a few days. I have been doing MFP and doing ok with it, a stone in just over four weeks (only another 4 to go then blush). The weight loss has been slowing somewhat and I think it means I need to add in some more exercise (when I don't know!!). But I am poorly, have a total bastard of a cold and I just want to eat all. the. things. I have tried bananas and carrots etc which is my go to when I am hungry but I NEED carbs and fat and general badness. So today I have eaten - porridge for breakfast, then a pancake as I was making for DD with banana, honey and mixed spice and now have just eaten a sausage sarnie AND DD's half that she didn't want. Now a fecking oreo has just fallen into my mouth blush

I feel a mixture of naughty, full (for a change) and angry with myself for succumbing.

One day off the piggy wagon wont hurt will it?

MrsBernardBlack Sat 11-Feb-17 16:02:08

No. Don't leave it too long though...

Ice3 Sat 11-Feb-17 16:03:49

Nope. Just say you are carb/calorie cycling instead. It's a very valid form of dieting grin Get well soon!

Jenniferb21 Sat 11-Feb-17 16:03:52

What is MFP sorry? I can't recommend slimming world enough I do it online. It means you can have carbs and no food isn't restricted. It's a lifestyle change not a diet so you can literally do it forver to keep the weight off.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 11-Feb-17 16:47:50

MFP = my fitness pal. It is a way of recording calories (you have a target) and exercise. Its not desperately accurate but it is good at making you think about what you are eating, much the same as weight watchers and slimming world. I have done weight watchers before and found I was obsessing over points and I cant really get my head round slimming world and its syns. However I am considering either if the weight loss stalls. I have been really strict with myself and was hungry to start with, just this week I have settled into it but then got this cold and I am always starving when I'm poorly.

FallenSky Sat 11-Feb-17 16:52:44

Do you trust yourself to get back on the wagon in a day or two when you're feeling better? Are you happy to perhaps have a slight gain? If so, go for it. If you deprive yourself you will end up miserable and abandoning it completely. You didn't become overweight in one day. One day of eating crap is not going to make you gain back the stone you've lost. Well done, by the way!

Hope you feel better soon!

Mallowmarshmallow Sat 11-Feb-17 16:52:56

For me, the weight goes on far, far easier and more quickly than it comes off so I would be cautious about this.

Make sure you feel like you can put a full stop to it as soon as you are able to and get back on the wagon rather than it being the start of a slippery slope.

Well done on the stone loss so far, that's a pretty big achievement.

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 11-Feb-17 16:54:23

One day is okay, just hop back on the wagon tomorrow smile

flowers hope you feel better soon

MaidOfStars Sat 11-Feb-17 16:54:38

Can you turn this week into a 5:2 week?

WorraLiberty Sat 11-Feb-17 16:54:45

I think you'll regret it.

I know you're looking for people to help justify it (not that you should because it's your diet and your body), but that is a shit ton of food to eat before tea time.

Could you have something lighter for tea and drink lots of water?

Having a cold means you could probably do with the fluids anyway, and at the same time it'll help to fill you up.

Good luck with the weight loss and hope you feel better soon thanks

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 11-Feb-17 16:56:23

Oh one thing... input it all into MFP even if you know it will be over. It's good encouragement not to do it again, and you might even still come in under cals over the week smile

ThinEndOfASlipperySlope Sat 11-Feb-17 17:03:52

A stone in 4 weeks is probably going to make you feel like this. Unless you are under medical supervision, aim for 2lb/week at the most and fit the occasional treat in too (whilst keeping under your calorie target).

Don't be harsh on yourself, tomorrow's another day flowers

user1469293602 Sat 11-Feb-17 17:05:11

Why not have a few maintenance days instead. This way you will get ~500kcal more per day (depending on your deficit) and be able to eat more while not putting any weight on.

MatildaTheCat Sat 11-Feb-17 17:10:37

Accept that a stone in four weeks is a lot and what often happens when you begin to lose but is never going to continue. Two pounds a week is far more realistic. Don't just start shovelling in crap because you are ill. Porridge is surely ok if not made with double cream? How about a jacket potato and thinking of some tasty, carbs stuff that won't wreck your hard work? Sweet potato soup, that sort of thing?

Get well soon.

ihatethecold Sat 11-Feb-17 17:11:22

For me, one day off the wagon completely throws me.
I then lose the impetus to carry on and get back on it.
But, that said op, you have done so well to lose a stone in a month.

SorrelSoup Sat 11-Feb-17 17:17:41

I've been off mine due to having dry socket after a tooth extraction. I've chucked so.much down the left hand side of my mouth. I'm on mfp too. I'm back on it today. I'll be so angry at myself if I let it all slide. Enjoy today, but back on it tomorrow. Spring's nearly here!!

haveacupoftea Sat 11-Feb-17 17:21:14

Everyone is going to pile on now to tell you why you should be doing low carb/slimming world/weight watchers/lighter life etc

But anyway you need to put an end time in mind and stick to it if you absolutely must binge. The binge is the death of most diets. And Saturday night is a most convenient time to be poorly and craving junk food wink but if you can get back on track it will be ok.

haveacupoftea Sat 11-Feb-17 17:23:44

Also on what planet is porridge, pancake and banana and one and a half sandwiches and a biscuit a 'shit ton' of food hmm

fishonabicycle Sat 11-Feb-17 18:02:06

Just have a healthy tea/dinner. LG the whole lot into MFP and carry on as you were before.

Jenniferb21 Sat 11-Feb-17 18:24:16

Slimming world is very simple.

You have free foods which is all meat with fat removed, all fruit and veg (minor exceptions like avacado) beans and pulses, eggs, fat free yoghurt, potatoes, pasta and rice. Free food means you don't have to measure any of it and it's unlimited.

Each day you get 1 healthy a which is a calcium product. Then 1 healthy b which is a fibre product. I.e milk and porridge.

If you have more than 1 calcium or fibre then you have to syn 1 of them.

Syns are everything else that aren't above. From ketchup to chocolate. Syns are basically low in nutritional value and high in sugar or and fat. You get 10-15 a day (I choose 10 to speed up weight loss) no food is off limits. For example if you have a wispa chocolate bar thats 13 Syns so you have to count it and plan your other food choices around that high syn product

It's very easy to follow once you get the hang of it. I never use my book now as I just know the syn values of the regular food I eat. I've lost 4 stone over 2 years and have had long periods of no slimming world like Xmas and holidays.

Very long post but it's changed my life no more crash diets or feeling hungry!

Good luck x

DonaldStott Sat 11-Feb-17 18:34:12

I would second sw being very easy to follow. I used to find it faffy and confusing with red day, green day, but it's not like that anymore. Once you know the basics of free food, it's dead easy.

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 11-Feb-17 18:44:49

What was that you said, @haveacupoftea grin

Idefix Sat 11-Feb-17 18:45:02

LEM a stone in 4 weeks is anything but slow. I would as others say record on mfp all you eat even if you end up going past your calorie target.

Really miserable being full of a cold and nutritionally deprived to boot. I would have what every you like, record it and move on. This doesn't have to be the end or a diet fail, just an off day.

Hope you feel better soon flowers

TheoriginalLEM Sun 12-Feb-17 09:49:10

To be fair the stone includes the first week where 8 pound dropped off. So been a steady 2 pound max after that.

dp made a lovely veg curry last night so i had a small portion of that.

Back on track today.

i don't think it was tons of food just the wrong food.

mfp gives me 1400 calories based on an "active " job. does that seem enoufh?

travailtotravel Sun 12-Feb-17 09:51:51

I do think you need different food when you are ill sometimes. Feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now