Talk

Advanced search

Cold or flu

(34 Posts)
Lifesagambleisntit Sat 11-Feb-17 14:14:17

Aibu to not know which I have, despite googling?! I have temp / as soon as painkillers wear off I just can't get warm, despite layers and making room very hot, hacking non stop cough, very very painful muscles and joints, including hips etc. I just feel really rough but then wondering if this is a bad cold? I don't want to waste dr time as there's nothing they can do and I don't want to infect anyone else. So.... How do you tell? Thanks!

tiredofhavingtothinkofnewnames Sat 11-Feb-17 14:15:58

Probably not full blown flu if you can read mumsnet and type.

Are you sweating?

BrownEyedLady Sat 11-Feb-17 14:16:53

Years ago a doctor on TV said the way to tell is if you saw a £50 stuck to the outside of you living room window, would you go out and get it? Yes =cold, no=flu.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 11-Feb-17 14:19:07

Do you need to be able to tell? They're both treated the same. Rest, fluids, paracetamol when needed. If you have a cold usually you have an appetite of sorts, flu I don't think you could face any food at all for a few days. And flu takes a LOT longer to get over than a cold, even a nasty one. So you'll probably realise what it was when you figure out your recovery time.

Lifesagambleisntit Sat 11-Feb-17 14:19:59

Thanks! I go between sweating and freezing cold but neither one consistently. I'm in bed and have slept until now (v v unusual for me). Can't eat but drinking. Guessing must be a cold then as I can sit up and type (too painful from muscles and joints to lie down any longe)..... So frustrating!

Littlefrogletx Sat 11-Feb-17 14:20:23

Trust me, you know if you have flu.

Lifesagambleisntit Sat 11-Feb-17 14:20:53

No, don't need to tell really but I'm stressing as I stay at home full time with my twins and worried I will still be ill on Monday.....

Trainspotting1984 Sat 11-Feb-17 14:22:57

You don't need to see a doctor for flu and there isn't a treatment for it so it's just treated the same way as a cold.

To be honest I don't think you can tell without a diagnosis

Klaphat Sat 11-Feb-17 14:23:59

This whole 'flu has to be way worse' thing is a myth and there have been multiple threads where it has been discussed. You can have flu without even feeling you have a particularly bad cold.

Trainspotting1984 Sat 11-Feb-17 14:25:30

How would you know it's flu though Klap?

pickledparsnip Sat 11-Feb-17 14:27:13

Klaphat how is it a myth?

I had flu for the first time a few years ago. It took me 45 mins to climb my stairs. I was in agony. Felt fucking horrendous.

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 11-Feb-17 14:36:32

How would you know it's flu though Klap?

Because you can have it diagnosed via a swab. There are lots of cases of people presenting with cold symptoms or slight cold symptoms and testing positive for the flu virus. Like any illness it effects people different and different strains can be different too.

Trying to decide whether or not you have flu by whether you can type/get out of bed/pick up a £50 note is a bit pointless. Just because some people can't doesn't mean people that can don't have the same virus.

TuckersBadLuck Sat 11-Feb-17 14:37:42

Not all strains of flu are equal and not all people exhibit the same symptoms.

I had this 'cold' over Christmas. The typical cold symptoms weren't that bad but the sweating and chills, aches and pain, blurred vision, earache and the overwhelming tiredness were all something new to me. I resolutely told everyone it was just a cold though - because I was following the 'if you can walk it's not flu' theory.

It's now 7 weeks later and I'm still suffering from the tiredness, every day. If it was just a cold then it was the oddest one I've ever had - and I'm over 50. I just refer to it as a virus if the subject comes up.

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Sat 11-Feb-17 14:39:48

There are many strains of flu. The mumsnet 'it's not flu if you can still lift a finger without dying' is shit, it's not a competition to be most deathly.

That myths needs to die out

Lifesagambleisntit Sat 11-Feb-17 14:43:39

Thanks everyone! Going to sleep again now as wiped out. Hopefully rest will get rid of this cold, flu whatever it is!

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Sat 11-Feb-17 15:04:37

Hope you are feeling better soon, OP.

Trainspotting1984 Sat 11-Feb-17 15:07:17

That makes sense, although I don't suspect many people persuade their GP to give them a swab to check

yorkshapudding Sat 11-Feb-17 15:12:36

Probably not full blown flu if you can read mumsnet and type

Sigh. As soon as I saw the thread title I knew someone would be the first comment grin

I had medically confirmed H1N1 and I can honestly say that while I felt fucking horrible for about two weeks, I could certainly have managed a bit of mumsnetting. I could also walk unassisted despite some MNers insisting that it's not real flu if you can manage to drag yourself to the toilet.

Hope you feel better soon OP flowers

yorkshapudding Sat 11-Feb-17 15:13:11

I knew this would be the first comment, sorry.

MrsBernardBlack Sat 11-Feb-17 15:14:02

There is a horrible cough virus going round this winter, I had it before Christmas, DH is just getting through it now.

It drags on for weeks, and I would say that it is very 'fluey' in a lot of its symptoms. Dies that make it flu? Does it matter?

Hope you feel better soon, whatever it is.

WowserBowser Sat 11-Feb-17 15:17:37

Yes Mrs ! We've had it on and off since December. My son seems to finally have shaken it. Possibly until he gets it again on Monday.

But now Ive got sinusitis as well.

MaisyPops Sat 11-Feb-17 15:22:19

The idea that you cant have flu unless you feel like youre on deaths door is a myth. After all, you dont evej need to go to a GP to be seen about it.
Since yesterday lunch I've had an ache in and around my skull, pain in my neck, slept for about 14 hours out of the last 24 and other than that can't wander about for too long or my body aches. Can't keep warm without blankets and hot water bottles but at random go very cold.
I'm not incapacitated, can make a cuppa tea and generall potter the house for things i need but unless i really need it im not leaving this sofa.

Not on deaths door. Definitely feels like flu.

Trainspotting1984 Sat 11-Feb-17 15:59:25

Apparently people have flu once every 7 years on average.

NarkyMcDinkyChops Sat 11-Feb-17 16:18:13

The idea that you cant have flu unless you feel like youre on deaths door is a myth

This is true, there are different severities of it like anything else. When I had swine flu I really did think I might die, I lost days lying in bed unable to get up , but not all flus are like that.

The thing is , does it really matter if its a flu or a bad cold? If you feel bad you feel bad, and there is no point going to the drs either way, so treat at home unless you get further complications.

CurlyhairedAssassin Sat 11-Feb-17 16:24:19

Rafals, I find it hard to believe that someone would bother going to the doctor with "slight cold symptoms" and find out accidentally after they're swabbed.

I'm not saying you're wrong but was wondering what studies have shown this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now