Talk

Advanced search

To not want delivery companies to put my delivery in the wheelie bin?

(22 Posts)
iveburntthetoast Sat 11-Feb-17 13:40:54

I was out of the house earlier today and got a text saying that my online order had been delivered to my address and had been signed for by 'my surname'. That was obviously impossible as I was out! I got home to find the two boxes had been put in my general waste wheelie bin. This happens all the time and has been done with valuable deliveries (think £300+ worth of clothes). Of course they put a note through the door, but it would be easy for someone to see what they've done and grab the box out of the bin. We could have gone away and asked the neighbour to pull the wheelie bin to the curb & lost it all. AIBU?

sleepy16 Sat 11-Feb-17 13:44:52

Some delivery company's are a joke, I've had things been delivered to totally different address (even one that I found out the person who had my dd cot of facebook).
That they delivered at 10pm and I signed for it (never did).
It's shocking, I would rather pay an extra quid to make sure I actually receive my item/s then the shit service I get with most atm.

iveburntthetoast Sat 11-Feb-17 13:47:58

I agree sleepy. I wonder where they stand legally in the event of the order being stolen or taken by the bin men. If you could get them to admit it, I gues.

WorraLiberty Sat 11-Feb-17 13:50:12

You need to add a note when ordering, telling them not to do this and (if possible) giving them an alternative.

Flipthebirdy Sat 11-Feb-17 13:51:44

I hate when it's 'signed for' and they just let anyone sign for it. Forging your signiture is even worse! I send parcels signed for so I can sure they don't get left outside. I want the recipient to open their front door and sign so there's no dispute that they received it. I pay extra for that.

iveburntthetoast Sat 11-Feb-17 13:56:17

I've tried putting a note on Amazon to not do this but they ignore it. I should try contacting Amazon to complain. There isn't always an option to add a note when ordering from some places.

iveburntthetoast Sat 11-Feb-17 13:57:51

Actually, there was one occasion where they just left it on my back door step. Thankfully it didn't rain. -I guess at least the wheelie bin means deliveries are dry!

Iris65 Sat 11-Feb-17 14:00:20

One of my colleagues lived in a house which was walled with an electric gate. He was in his garden when a delivery person threw a box over the gate and then drove away!

iveburntthetoast Sat 11-Feb-17 14:07:40

shock iris. I guess I should be grateful they take the care to put it in the wheelie bin.

MongerTruffle Sat 11-Feb-17 14:10:39

I wonder where they stand legally in the event of the order being stolen or taken by the bin men.

The company you bought the products from (NOT the delivery company) are responsible for the package until it physically gets to you.

BlondeBecky1983 Sat 11-Feb-17 14:15:47

I had a 'fragile' £350 item thrown over my 7ft garden gate by one company! Luckily the packaging stood up to the test! The parcel cost £25 to post and was meant to be signed for!

MongerTruffle Sat 11-Feb-17 14:17:21

To be fair, it's good that they put it in your wheelie bin instead of throwing it over the gate into the garden (has happened to me before).

HarlotLipstick Sat 11-Feb-17 14:37:52

YANBU I fucking hate this, but for me it's the fact that they leave cardboard packaging in a damp, stinky outdoor wheelie bin... Worst was when a card parcel of stationary got left in there and ended up absorbing God only knows what!

8misskitty8 Sat 11-Feb-17 16:07:34

Amazon logistics delivery did this with one of my packages. But it was the brown garden waste bin. Bin was full of grass and wet leaves so package was wet and stunk.
I complained and got a refund. They said they would 'investigate'.

LoveMyLittleSuperhero Sat 11-Feb-17 16:25:05

Our local delivery person working for myhermes are a nightmare for this and we ask senders to use someone else now (we will happily cover the extra postage).
We had a router left on our front doorstep in the rain. (main road set slightly back, easily visible) the company had to send a new one out.
A set of books I'd been trying to find for a few years were abandoned in my neighbours 5 doors down wood store out the back of his home. (I was on the phone to the company when neighbour found them and knocked thankfully)
A limited edition collectible for DPs birthday, think around £200. Got an email to confirm delivery saying it was apparently signed for. When I argued they couldn't have got a signature they owned up to it being in a safe place. Apparently they left it under "the bay window" there is no bay window on my home or any neighbours and they had not pushed a missed you card through. Got a refund in the end but seller was going to have to chase the head office for his own refund. Lots of people round here have had issues with valuable parcels being left in "safe places" confused

Amazon have left several of dps parcels in our bin (one on collection day) despite him always leaving safe place instructions. There's now a huge sign on the lid, "no parcels to be put in waste bins, read instructions on parcel" solved one problem wink

TarragonChicken Sat 11-Feb-17 16:55:21

I had this before Christmas. I was away for a few days and courier put my parcel in the bin. DP did not read the delivery slip and put the bins out. Bye bye new boots. The shop asked for a photo of the delivery slip and sent me another pair out (luckily they had them as they'd been half price in the sale). Presumably they recouped cost from courier.

LavenderRains Sat 11-Feb-17 17:00:09

Our delivery person always leaves parcels in the wheelie bin and leaves a note saying so.
Last week however was a new one. There was a note saying 'parcel left under red car' confused At least the parcel was still there I suppose! !

Imaweeble Sat 11-Feb-17 17:00:41

One half term I was away and a delivery company delivered something for a completely different house but as I was away put it in my bin! Luckily I came home a day early as the Friday was bin day, then I had to take it to the correct house and explain to the very understanding lady who was on the phone to the company having a row about it not being delivered!

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 11-Feb-17 17:04:27

I once got back from a weekend away to find a delivery (happyland - it was a big box) had been left on my doorstep. I have no porch or anything, it was literally dumped in front of my front door for an entire weekend!!

So I am now strangely grateful for any deliveries that are put in my bin!! grin

Batgrrrl Sat 11-Feb-17 17:08:03

I'm a delivery person, there's certain types of parcels that our managers give us loads of shit for not delivering (not anything signed though) so I mostly leave these somewhere if no neighbour is in, wheelie bin, recycling bin etc. I get my own parcels left in the wheelie bin and don't really see a problem with it tbh.

Batgrrrl Sat 11-Feb-17 17:11:47

Oh and it could be worse grin

http://www.itv.com/news/central/2015-11-23/courier-throws-parcel-on-roof-after-no-answer-at-the-door/

BeyondUnderthinking Sat 11-Feb-17 18:08:57

(Oh and it had rained all weekend. I got home to a splodge of soggy cardboard that was no longer box shaped)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now