Talk

Advanced search

Is this embarrassing

(69 Posts)
Intonational Sat 11-Feb-17 13:03:31

At work there are general male and female toilets and also a disabled toilet people go into for more privacy. Went into disabled one and was just standing in front of mirror to do my makeup when company boss walked in on me and looked embarrassed. He could see I was standing up facing mirror and fully dressed though. I just said it was fine and he went away. What should I have said? Do I look like a weirdo now?!

gamerchick Sat 11-Feb-17 13:05:14

No, it happens. Don't give it another thought.

Maybe lock the door next time you're in wink

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 11-Feb-17 13:09:34

Yabu for using the accessible toilet for putting your make up on. There is absolutely no reason why you could not do that in the general women's toilet. None of the other women will care.

The requirement to use the accessible loo is not limited to people with obvious physical disabilities. Someone with piles or irritable bowel syndrome may welcome the privacy it gives.

If you have no disability you should not be hogging it for an activity you can do in the ladies' toilets.

katronfon Sat 11-Feb-17 13:09:52

2 things I guess...
He was the embarrassed one because he wanted to go to the toilet and there was a women in there - automatic reaction, don't give it another thought.
But I don't really get using the disabled toilet to do make up, or boss using disabled toilet if he isn't disabled.
If boss is actually disabled, then yes probably a bit embarrassing that he couldn't go to the loo because you were doing your make up in there
Okay, that was 3 things!

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 11-Feb-17 13:12:57

You cannot tell if the boss had a special requirement to use the disabled loo. They are not limited to obvious physical disabilities.

The OP is being selfish using it to put her make up on.

Wondermoomin Sat 11-Feb-17 13:14:25

Not embarrassing enough to dwell on it confused

He probably wanted to go for a crap and couldn't because you were putting on your lippie. Every office I've worked in, men have used the accessible toilets for their dumps often taking a newspaper too.

MunchMunch Sat 11-Feb-17 13:14:50

His embarrassment was automatic because he walked in on someone in the toilet - he probably didn't process the fact you were fully clothed and doing make up until after the initial embarrassment had subsided but that was probably as he was closing/closed the door.

Ohyesiam Sat 11-Feb-17 13:15:52

It could have been embarrassing, but it wasn't

TheProblemOfSusan Sat 11-Feb-17 13:17:44

Not embarrassing for the makeup, but please don't use disabled loos if you're not disabled. It's awful for the people who really need them - which very often is people who don't have visible issues.

My very healthy looking friend has a radar key and HAS TO use them because of serious bowel and bladder problems - if she needs to go she has to immediately - and would be really embarrassed to have to tell you to get out.

Megatherium Sat 11-Feb-17 13:24:24

Why do you need more privacy than anyone else?

Olympiathequeen Sat 11-Feb-17 13:25:32

Doesn't the female loo have a mirror and can't you lock the door?
If there are no disabled staff or visitors I can't see a problem with using it.

Megatherium Sat 11-Feb-17 13:26:54

But how does anyone know there are no disabled staff or visitors around? Who cross-examines their visitors as to whether they have any hidden disabilities?

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 11-Feb-17 13:29:29

But how does anyone know there are no disabled staff or visitors around? Who cross-examines their visitors as to whether they have any hidden disabilities?

Exactly. TheProblemWithSusan has identified a hidden disability.

Oldraver Sat 11-Feb-17 13:30:28

So...do people who need to use a disabled loo not also want, on occasion to touch up make up ?

strugglingstepdad Sat 11-Feb-17 13:31:00

To those saying about the disabled loo.

It's just a disabled access loo. It's a normal loo for anyone to use, it's just made more accessible for disabled people. They aren't just there for disabled people only.

P.s. I have disabilities

BrownEyedLady Sat 11-Feb-17 13:31:20

Oh goodness, that reminds me about a time when a few colleagues were outside our office waiting for another one to join us to go to the pub. There we were, merrily bitching about our boss, when he came out of the disabled loo right next to us, iPad in hand. Very awkward.

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 11-Feb-17 13:34:34

It's just a disabled access loo. It's a normal loo for anyone to use, it's just made more accessible for disabled people. They aren't just there for disabled people only

The OP was using it to put her make up on. She wasn't even using the toilet part.

The only embarrassing thing about it is the OP's lack of manners by failing to leave when someone else obviously wanted to use it for its primary purpose.

Gwenhwyfar Sat 11-Feb-17 13:36:37

"Doesn't the female loo have a mirror and can't you lock the door? "

I'm presuming the women's toilets are cubicles and the mirror would be in the public area of the toilet. Unless it's self-contained, you wouldn't be able to lock the door. I know people do, but I can't put foundation on in front of other people.

WorraLiberty Sat 11-Feb-17 13:39:00

Is this embarrassing?

Unless your sole aim is to start yet another bun fight about people using accessible toilets, that's a very silly question.

It was embarrassing for your boss - obviously confused

LassWiTheDelicateAir Sat 11-Feb-17 13:40:38

I know people do, but I can't put foundation on in front of other people

An inability to put make up on in front of other women is not a disability.

Megatherium Sat 11-Feb-17 13:42:23

It's just a disabled access loo. It's a normal loo for anyone to use, it's just made more accessible for disabled people. They aren't just there for disabled people only.

That doesn't change the fact that it's thoroughly inconsiderate to use it when you don't need to.

Chloe84 Sat 11-Feb-17 13:42:52

It's fine, it's happened to me too.

I have walked in on people on the loo, much more embarrasing, but mostly for them.

Megatherium Sat 11-Feb-17 13:43:20

Surely anyone with a hang-up about putting foundation on in front of other people does so before they leave home in the morning?

daisypond Sat 11-Feb-17 13:45:20

At my work we're not allowed to use the disabled loo unless you have some sort of disability - it would be frowned on to use the accessible loo when you didn't need it. Perhaps the boss was embarrassed because he maybe thought you had some sort of disability he didn't know about - or vice versa - perhaps he was embarrassed because you now know that he has some sort of disability that you didn't know about.

strugglingstepdad Sat 11-Feb-17 13:46:38

It's thoroughly inconsiderate to use it??

Jesus lady, what planet are you on!

It's a loo fgs, who are you to decide if the op's use of it is inconsiderate or not? We all do different things in the loo, as we are all individual.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now