Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

It's the size of an egg

(15 Posts)
totallystumped Sat 11-Feb-17 12:44:40

and it's in my liver. Google has been of no use. AIBU not to be able to stop fretting about it?

I had an ultrasound scan last Sat to check for gall stones. Before Christmas I'd had a couple of weeks of really bad pain in the R upper quadrant and everyone I knew who'd had the blessed things said that was what my symptoms sounded like.

Anyway tech did scan, said she couldn't see any stones but there was a cyst. Called the GP surgery earlier this week and booked an appointment for Monday coming.

Today I thought I'd ring and check results were in. They are. Then I made the mistake of asking the size. Turns out there are 2 one is small (8mm ish at it's largest) but the other is roughly 5cm x5cm x 6cm. Is this as big as it seems to me?

There is also mention of some fatty infiltration. I am a bit overweight, but fairly active, 50+, hardly drink alcohol now (though I did drink a bit years ago), and LFTs have been normal, I did grow up in a sheep area.

What kind of thing can I expect to happen now?

abbsisspartacus Sun 12-Feb-17 04:17:07

I think surgery to remove the cyst

There is a condition non alcohol fatty liver disease look that up too

totallystumped Sun 12-Feb-17 08:17:51

Thank you. Bugger, both DC have big exams this Summer (GCEs and As) really hope it doesn't come to surgery, we really don't need extra stress in the house in the next couple of months.

Mouikey Sun 12-Feb-17 08:27:13

I have a calcified lump on my liver it's not big but it's staying in there as doing no harm. It could be a hemaginoma (sorry if spelling is wrong) as they can also be quite large.

Not really worth speculating as it could be any number of things. The receptionist shouldn't have given you the information though!

Pseudonym99 Sun 12-Feb-17 08:35:18

The receptionist shouldn't have given the information

Totally disagree. Patient asked, question got answered. NHS staff should not withhold information when it has been specifically asked for. It ceates distrust, and there is too much of that already.

totallystumped Sun 12-Feb-17 09:02:08

Thanks for the reassurances :-)

Re the receptionist -It's on my file and she had checked it was me, and I'd already been told there was a cyst anyway so I don't think the receptionist was in the wrong. I was just shocked by the size, I sort of expected it to be pea sized or something. She did offer to try to find a Dr for me to talk to about it, but I was in work,,,,

Then I got home with time to dwell and google and the worry set in. Have an appointment tomorrow though so should know more soon.

abbsisspartacus Sun 12-Feb-17 13:15:03

I would step away from Dr Google a friend of mine has an issue with his liver I told him not to Google it (because I did)

zukiecat Sun 12-Feb-17 15:09:06

I have a cyst on my liver for years, I have been told it's huge, also have two cysts on one kidney and five on the other

Been told they won't do anything other than keep an eye on things for now, I do have kidney pain, but this could be due to kidney stones (I have passed them) and scarring on kidneys from previous stones

I also have a fatty liver, I don't and never have drunk alcohol, I am a bit overweight though

Pseudonym99 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:09:22

Nothing wrong with Dr Google. You'll get more independent advice from there than you will from the NHS.

knit1pearl1 Thu 16-Feb-17 19:38:55

Pseudonym99 I think you fundamentally misunderstand google's algorithms if you think that! Why wouldn't an NHS doctor be independent?

OP Liver cysts are usually benign and are very common. Try not to worry and speak to your GP. The British Liver Trust has some good info if you look them up.

Screwinthetuna Thu 16-Feb-17 19:49:31

1 in 6 of us have something on our liver. Very, very common flowers

Pseudonym99 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:15:50

An NHS doctor wouldn't be independent as they would be employed and trained by organisations which are part of the NHS. Therfore they would be telling you what the NHS wants you to hear (or not telling you what the NHS doesn't want you to hear)

knit1pearl1 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:47:44

Wow! That's a little paranoid. Can you give me a specific example, with evidence, for example about a liver cyst.

JoanofNark17 Thu 16-Feb-17 20:51:49

Nothing wrong with Dr Google. You'll get more independent advice from there than you will from the NHS

Ding ding ding! This wins the stupidest comment of the day award!

Congratulations.

olympicsrock Thu 16-Feb-17 20:58:18

Hi I am a doctor and worked in this area for a while. Liver cysts are usually benign, often more than one, patients sometimes have cysts in the kidneys too ( polycyatic disease) if the cyst was very large and on the edge if could be deroofed which means removing the outside lid of the cyst. More often they are just monitored. Most people who have cysts do not have pain. I would try not to worry. You may find that the cyst is just a red herring.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now