Advanced search

Someone bumped the car, WWYD?

(39 Posts)
bingandflop Sat 11-Feb-17 11:06:41


On Tuesday somebody left a note on the car in a car park as they had pranged it. The front left bumper has a considerable scrape and looks kind of cracked. They left their number so we phoned them and it was a teenage boy who did it but his father's number.

The father asked if we could avoid going through the insurance and said he has a friend who will be able to fix it. We thought ok.

DH text the guy 2 days later as we hadn't heard anything further and the guy was a bit hostile but said he would get the guy to come and look at it the next day (the next day being yesterday). He did not do so.DH and I feel he is making excuses and has no intention of getting this sorted (the prang being caused by his son not him).

WWYD? At this stage we would rather just go through the insurance but we don't have their insurance details and doubt they will give them to us. We do have their name, tel, address and the original note from the boy admitting culpability.

Is there anything we can do? Is there anything the insurers can do without the other party's insurance details?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions

Chasingsquirrels Sat 11-Feb-17 11:09:29

Have you got the vehicle registration?
Insurance, & potential police to get details.
They are messing you about, they don't want insurance claim on their record - but if they were serious about things they'd be bending over backwards to rectify the damage.

LIZS Sat 11-Feb-17 11:10:01

Insurer can trace theirs through a database. Are the family living local to you or could they be fronting insurance for the teen living elsewhere . Iiwy I'd give one last chance for them to organise it before you go to insurance. A damaged bumper may be an mot failure so needs sorting out.

Creatureofthenight Sat 11-Feb-17 11:10:51

You could see how much it will cost to fix then ask them if they can give you the cash? Would still avoid insurance. I did this when I pranged someone when I was 18, at the other drivers suggestion.
Otherwise your insurance company may be able to track down their details?

limitedperiodonly Sat 11-Feb-17 11:11:57

Why don't you ask your insurance company?

whereiscaroline Sat 11-Feb-17 11:13:32

Can you get a quote from a local garage or two, and ask them to pay? Teenagers' insurance is obviously very expensive so they may be trying to avoid increased costs next year. I wouldn't be happy about their "friend" fixing it though.

raffleswinch Sat 11-Feb-17 11:16:04

I'd be on the blower to my insurance with all the details I have.

BillDoor Sat 11-Feb-17 11:52:26

I had a teenager reverse into me I had a few details, but not everything.
They (him and dad) had no intention of dealing with it until they got a letter from my insurance company.
I then got practically begged to drop it "he's only 19! His premium is so high already!"
I informed them that if his ADULT son had attempted to contact me, then maybe. Too fucking late. They hoped I'd go away.
Just contact your insurance company. It's so much easier.

ambereeree Sat 11-Feb-17 11:56:06

Go through insurance. Someone hit me from the back said it was minor but it turned out to be a lot more damage than visible. They're messing you around

AnotherEmma Sat 11-Feb-17 12:00:22

Firstly you have to notify your insurance company of the incident even if you don't go through them to make a claim.

Secondly don't let them get their "mate" to fix it for you, that's hugely dodgy.

If the damage is minor I suggest getting a quote from Chips Away (if there's one near you) - they are reasonably priced and often do mobile repairs.

Then offer to send the quote by email/post, and if they ignore you or refuse to pay, go through the insurance or a credit hire company.


HelenaWay Sat 11-Feb-17 12:05:17

Definitely go through insurance.

tobecontinued2000 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:07:57

Get onto the insurance company.

trinketsofgold Sat 11-Feb-17 12:08:25

Had this, young lad drove into causing some scratches to my car, I don't think he quite realised how much respraying costs, after showing his 3 separate quotes around the £600 mark he told me I was taking the piss so I just claimed from insurance. Then I started recieving messages saying how could I do this, he's only young, give him a break etc
Piss taker

RedBugMug Sat 11-Feb-17 12:10:30

that's what they are for.

YellowDinosaur Sat 11-Feb-17 12:12:00

No benefit whatsoever to you in allowing their mate to do a dodgy botch job.

I might, in your situation, agree to do it off insurance if it was done by a garage you trusted and they gave you money upfront.

In this situation where they're dicking you about? Insurance all the way.

PassTheWineAndFags Sat 11-Feb-17 12:16:00

Phone your insurance company and soon. They aren't complying so disregard them for now.

Mol1628 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:19:04

Phone insurance and pass the details on. Don't speak to them anymore yourself. This is why you pay insurance

YellowDinosaur Sat 11-Feb-17 12:19:25

I'd also be concerned this is a delaying tactic while they get the matching damage on their car fixed...

AnotherEmma Sat 11-Feb-17 12:22:19

It is actually in your best interest to resolve this directly (rather than through the insurance) if you can. But you should arrange the repair yourself through a garage of your own choice, and they should pay for it. If they refuse then go through the insurance or credit hire company.

A similar thing happened to me recently and I found out that your insurance premiums can go up in future if you claim, even if it's not your fault. It depends on the insurance company but some increase your premiums as they consider that you are statistically more likely to claim in future.

Getnakedorgohome Sat 11-Feb-17 12:24:06

I had similar. The boy's dad messed me about when I called, didn't commit to how or when he would pay and seemed very cagey. I hung up on him and called my insurance. They dealt with it all.for me, all I had was registration number and phone number.

Kit30 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:25:21

You pay for your insurance so use it. More importantly if you don't tell them you're in breach of your insurance contract - don't risk them finding out as your policy could be voided. Leave it to them to sort it - less stress and hassle for you and at least you know your car will get repaired.
Friend went down the bo insurance route a few years ago -took ages, repair was botched and it turned out other party got a kick back on the job!

JT05 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:27:11

This happened to our son when he was a new driver on his own, in his dad's car. He had braked a little late and had touched the bumper of the car in front. There was no visible damage to either car. The older other driver insisted on exchange of details and he would get a quote for his ' repair'. He wanted us to settle privately, without the insurance companies being involved.
We immediately informed our insurers and wrote to the other driver telling him. We never heard another thing from him!

Kit30 Sat 11-Feb-17 12:30:56

AnotherEmma - sorry but you're off base on the higher insurance premium argument. If bump not OPs fault then insurers will recover in full from other driver; even if he's not insured then there's cover available via the Motor Insurers Bureau. And if he isn't insured, police will get involved and prosecute, taking a potentially reckless driver off the road.

PUGaLUGS Sat 11-Feb-17 12:31:28

I would log the prang with 101 and let the dad know you have done this. Tell him you want to go through the insurance. I would want someone reputable doing repairs to my car if it was me.

Oldraver Sat 11-Feb-17 12:32:22

If you have the address I would pop round there and see if you can get the reg number, then pass onto your insurance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now