Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to refuse to do "cool and exciting " activities for the kids every day of the half term days??

(65 Posts)
btfly2 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:49:47

Instead of allowing lazy and relaxing hours at home? Sooo fed up of the feeling of pressure about "performance and you have to have a hectic schedule to exist these days! Is only me and aibu or others feel the same? Particularly when you can't hide anytime the children compare themselves with their friends and want to do the same "cool stuff ". Oh well, sorry but I'm feeling on a survival parenting mode today...and yesterday...and probably tomorrow. Thanks for reading.

BoboChic Sat 11-Feb-17 10:54:45

DC need free time in the holidays to do as they please. Many DC spend far too much time in adult led, structured activities and are not given enough opportunity for self-directed activity.

BitchQueen90 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:55:21

YANBU. Weather is shit and DS and I have colds. We'll probably go to soft play/swimming etc in the week but for the most part we will be taking it easy!

MadJeffBarn Sat 11-Feb-17 11:00:25

We rarely makes plans for the holidays as we like to just take the days as they come. My daughter, who's been at school full time for 6 weeks, loves a good pj/movie day to relax. Equally she loves keeping busy. If we fancy going out next Wednesday, we"ll go out. If we plan it it usually goes wrong anyway grin

raffleswinch Sat 11-Feb-17 11:00:56

Last thing my little one wants to do at half-term is something EVERY SINGLE DAY. Wants to chill out for an entire day with his brother and play xbox, not going to stop 'em!

We'll do a family thing here and there of course, but we all need a break from time to time.

PumpkinPie2016 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:04:47

YANBU - you and the kids need some down time.

I am a teacher so I am on half term this week and have very little planned - I am full of a cold today so DH has taken DS to soft play. We'll probably do library/visiting grandparents at some point/walk if the weather improved but largely we will relax.

I am utterly exhausted after a hectic term and many of the pupils I teach (secondary) were the same!

ludothedog Sat 11-Feb-17 11:05:26

I've tried not to organise things but I still seem to have managed to have organised stuff for most days. TBH I feel resentful that our precious time is scheduled again. I'm honestly at the point of just saying to friends and family to just leave us alone!

ItWentInMyEye Sat 11-Feb-17 11:07:08

YANBU lazy days are just as enjoyable for kids. We might have a board game day, film day, cooking day etc but I don't feel like I should have to do activities outside the house every day.

Buggeritimgettingup Sat 11-Feb-17 11:08:30

We are doing ONE planned thing that's a farm visit. I can't be arsed to even try and keep up with all the performance parents on fb who have to show the world how good/cool/involved they are constantly.
We will probably bake and all that shizzle but we do that anyway
Meh im secure enough in my parenting to not give a shiny shite grin

fourquenelles Sat 11-Feb-17 11:14:24

I think children need to learn how to deal with being bored and to be self motivated (not quite the right phrase but close enough). Will certainly set them up well for the future when in employment and they have to cope with the boring bits of the job smile

madmomma Sat 11-Feb-17 11:17:26

Yanbu. I feel tired just thinking about some people's half term schedule. I imagine we'll doss for most of it. We've got passes for a trampolining park so probably just do that a couple of times.

gamerwidow Sat 11-Feb-17 11:19:09

My Dd gets activities on the 3 days she's at the cm which leaves me mercifully free to do nothing when she's with me grin

FormerlyFrikadela01 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:20:48

Christ when I was a nipper we did fuck all organised activities during school holidays. We might do the odd.day our but it was mostly chilling and playing out with our friends. Life is hectic enough without putting a schedule on leisure time too.

SaorAlbaGuBrath Sat 11-Feb-17 11:21:32

I actively insist on down time for us and the kids in the school holidays. They need time to unwind and relax and I need time to keep on top of everything I usually do while they're at school/nursery. Days out are fab, but too many is exhausting for everyone, not to mention expensive, and there's still a house to be run, laundry to be done, jobs to keep on top of.

Ohyesiam Sat 11-Feb-17 11:22:11

I think kids do too much adult led stuff. Let them hang out.

HushHushBlackout Sat 11-Feb-17 11:23:18

YANBU at all. Although i find in holidays it so much easier to be busy. I very easily get tired so if we're pottering at home I get quite demotivated and want to just sit down all day long. I had the same on mat leaves. Everyone was always encouraging me to rest but I found that more draining and the days SO long IYSWIM. In holidays etc I usually do a couple of big days out and then a few of the days a proper morning or afternoon 'activity'. But start late and end late.

HushHushBlackout Sat 11-Feb-17 11:24:17

Point of my post really is that lots of people are probably not necessarily thinking 'AH DC MUST BE STIMULATED ALL THE TIME AND HAVE LOADS OF STUFF TO TELL SCHOOL WHEN THEY GO BACK!!!!!' grin

irvineoneohone Sat 11-Feb-17 11:29:51

My ds isn't the type who loves to go out. He happily spends days doing lazy stuff which he doesn't have time to do during school weeks.
Only thing we may do this holiday is go to the beach for fossil digging, if the weather permits.

Fingalswave Sat 11-Feb-17 11:30:22

We do ONE major trip or activity a week during the summer holidays, apart from when we are away, and same for half terms. We are having loads of friends around who will stay overnight for one of the weekends but apart from that we will be relaxing at home.

Justtrying Sat 11-Feb-17 11:30:42

Dd has a party this afternoon, so this morning has been a pj morning playing with her toys. Tomorrow she will help me cook a roast dinner, we may also make a start on her World book day costume. Monday we are baking and possibly visiting grandparents. Tuesday is a play date, Wednesday soft play. Nothing planned for Thursday and Friday is haircut and a visit with a friend to a local park. Next weekend I'm back in work so she will chill with her toys and the TV whilst dh supervises.

Homework needs to be done at some point too.

WhirlwindHugs Sat 11-Feb-17 11:35:12

I don't know anyone that makes a big thing of doing expensive stuff everyday.

We're doing one day out, plus the usual normal meeting up with friends, going to the library/park etc.

Mine need a rest... And one of them really needs to learn their times tables hmm

MycatsaPirate Sat 11-Feb-17 11:35:22

YANBU at all!

My fb news feed is full of posts about how much stuff they have planned for half term.

Meanwhile in this house, dp, DD2 (11) and I are sat around in pjs watching TV with no intention of moving anywhere any time soon.

We HAD planned to nip over to a village near us for a wander about today but dp and I have stinking colds and it's cold outside. None of us can be bothered.

The only plan we have is to go and see Sing at some point this week.

shinynewusername Sat 11-Feb-17 11:36:09

Boredom is the fount of creativity - as I am fond of telling the DSC smile

Willow2016 Sat 11-Feb-17 11:38:53

I rarely went anywhere except to visit relatives in holidays. We played out all day if weather was fine so didnt need entrertaining.

I usually try to arrange something to do but the weather is foul, raining, blowing a bloody gale so not doing anything anytime soon. (took ds2 to his swimming lesson and nearly got blown across the car park!) Trying to work up energy to go clean the bathroom but ds2 making bacon butties so it can wait!
If weather improves over next 3 days may venture out but if not its pjs and games for us.

Yesterday we spent on various devices, playing games I am a terrible mum grin

SouthernNorthernGirl Sat 11-Feb-17 11:39:54

No, I cant be doing with it either. Currently all in our PJ's, other than DS1 who is going to his dads for the weekend. DH is cooking bacon and eggs, for our brunch and the dc's lunch.
I'm on here and DC are on their various devices.
I plan to do pretty much nothing, just take each day as we fancy. Morning dossing around? Good with me. Walk to the park? Lets go.
I was asked by my DP's what my plans are more than once and I really struggle with what to say. I'm asked a lot and we dont really make plans until the time comes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now