Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed dh has told family I'm ovulating!

(42 Posts)
Chicci1 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:05:10

Husband was due to attend a family reunion abroad this weekend. We have been trying for a baby for about six months now and unfortunately timing being what it is, this weekend coincides with when I'm due to ovulate. Dh told me that he was happy enough to miss the reunion so he didn't go and I thought that was the end of it. Until his brother mentioned to me on the phone this morning that he hoped my ovulation is going well- accompanied by lots of snickers!! Turns out that dh had told his parents about me ovulating who in turn had told his three brothers. He doesn't see what the big deal is. I feel mortified about this and under more pressure than ever. Aibu?

CocoLoco87 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:06:48

YANBU! talk about over sharing!!

SnugglySnerd Sat 11-Feb-17 09:07:03

YANBU at all! Could he really not have made up an excuse?

DontTouchTheMoustache Sat 11-Feb-17 09:07:21

His brother sounds immature, tell him to grow up. Your dh sounds a bit clueless but I don't think he was trying to upset or.embarrass you, he probably just didn't think it through.

drinkyourmilk Sat 11-Feb-17 09:08:12

Omg. shock I'd be really embarrassed if my husband said that. Too personal - couldn't he have lied?

PurplePenguins Sat 11-Feb-17 09:08:39

YANBU. Talk about giving his family TMI 😲

Nocabbageinmyeye Sat 11-Feb-17 09:08:51

Yanbu, talk about over sharing and over sharing someone else's information at that, that would really piss me off. He decided not to go then he makes an excuse that involves himself and not you. He sounds as mature as his sniggering brother ffs

user1486737884 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:10:57

Oh dear,
I wonder if he felt he had to provide a really good reason for not going and in a moment of very misguided judgement, overshared.
What a berk. Don't blame you at all for being upset.

CurlyBlueberry Sat 11-Feb-17 09:41:58

OMG! I am an oversharer and this would be too far even for me. I might tell my best friend but probably not my family and definitely NOT the in-laws!

Why didn't he just say you/he was ill FFS!

frogmellla Sat 11-Feb-17 09:47:17

If someone told me their wife was ovulating I'd snicker too.

Chattycat78 Sat 11-Feb-17 09:50:56

Yep. Oversharing- and as you say it adds to the pressure! They might be expecting an announcement in a few months now. TBH I think it's bad enough if people know you're trying as they'll be constantly looking at you and wondering if you're pregnant.

MrsDoylesTeabags Sat 11-Feb-17 09:52:35

Eew TMI 'Sorry mum can't come over this weekend, I'll be shagging the missus bandy'
Not really necessary, couldn't he just tell them he had a migraine or something?

PenelopeFlintstone Sat 11-Feb-17 09:54:19

It wouldn't bother me, but if your dh knows it would bother you then he shouldnt have.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 11-Feb-17 09:54:38

I hope he feels ridiculously embarrassed now, what a plum

Aeroflotgirl Sat 11-Feb-17 09:56:04

Oh good lord Tmi. How would he like it if you told family he shot his load:-0

BobbieDog Sat 11-Feb-17 09:56:43

I always feel that telling people you are ttc is over sharing anyway. Its a very private thing.

I would be mortified in this situation

Iloveneighbours Sat 11-Feb-17 09:58:47

Honestly your DH overshared. But I wouldn't be annoyed with the sniggering brother grin this is just what brothers do, it's all good humoured teasing, but obviously embarrassing for you. I'd ave just got in the spirit of it and said witty back to nosy brother to hide my embarrassment and saved my wrath for DH.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 11-Feb-17 10:16:59

Your DH is a tit and should learn in future not to share every aspect of your biology with his family, how daft of him!
Mind you, his parents are just as bad - one thing to tell them but for them to tell all his brothers, creating a situation where you are the butt of their poor-taste jokes, that's ridiculously rude. angry

fassbendersmistress Sat 11-Feb-17 10:18:56

Yeah you need to have a word with your DH about oversharing and the general pressure you are feeling to conceive. perhaps don't be too hard on him tho. Is it possible that his family were putting him under pressure to explain the non attendance or change his mind and he just wasn't prepared and blurted it out in frustration? Or were the ILs asking if you were pregnant? It's still not right but don't fall out over it. (And good luck!)

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Sat 11-Feb-17 10:19:35

Start sending your dh toilet habits updates via text for a while. Don't forget to include details on length , consistency etc. Ask him if he would like to share that information with his family. He will soon get the message.

Iamastonished Sat 11-Feb-17 10:20:29

This is just so silly.

Quite frankly I wouldn't be impressed if I was meeting up with my family for the first time in ages and a close family member decided not to attend for this reason.

In the grand scheme of things does it really matter if you miss just one window of opportunity?

0hCrepe Sat 11-Feb-17 10:21:36

I'm a bit shocked he cancelled the weekend for that reason tbh! He had to give them a reason though so so guess he just told the truth.

roundtable Sat 11-Feb-17 10:22:00

shock just shock

Is he going to Facebook live the event?

chipsnmayo Sat 11-Feb-17 10:22:26

Oh god YANBU, I consider myself to be quite open and liberal but even that's a step too far for me.

Some things should really stay between you and your partner, there were heaps of excuses that he could have thought of.

Crumbs1 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:22:35

I actually don't get why your embarrassed by a perfectly normal bodily process, to be honest. His parents are probably just excited at potential for a grandchild. Brother was a tad immature but hardly end of world.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now