Talk

Advanced search

What on earth is this? (Found outside my house)

(710 Posts)
brooklyn66 Fri 10-Feb-17 23:22:32

Yesterday came home to find a bit of folded-up paper wedged in a crack in the fence wall bit (pavement goes right past it). Opened it up to find 2x2p coins inside unrecognisable writing - see pic!
What is this?

brooklyn66 Sat 04-Mar-17 14:42:40

Nothing much more to update, I'm afraid. My neighbours had never seen anything like it. They were going to ask on social media as well. We do know that some neighbours have mental health issues, although to my very untrained eye this doesn't seem like their sort of thing if you know what I mean.
I had thought it was kids but the other poster who found something similar so long again has made me reconsider that, so I am thinking hypergraphia or similar - obviously made-up languages can be done by any age!
spartacarcass thanks for posting that, it's interesting and yes very similar, less neat or 'considered' though.

SpartaCarcass Sat 04-Mar-17 14:27:04

My DD and friend were playing school together today. They wrote whole pages of made-up writing. It looked strikingly similar to your page. So I'm betting it is an invented writing scrawl:

QuimReaper Wed 01-Mar-17 16:40:18

Any more on this...?

clairethewitch70 Wed 22-Feb-17 21:07:27

Lots of magical alphabets here

artist-refs.tumblr.com/post/98425896698/dr-archeville-ancient-magickal-alphabets

AYankinSpanx Wed 22-Feb-17 20:22:56

Any more on this OP?

Pandamanda3 Mon 20-Feb-17 08:46:50

Seen a program few weeks back about and the Black Death, one of those random things on tv when your waiting for next program to start, on it they were trying to map out and locate all the graves of all the victims. As there were so many apparently they were all laid in mass sites in specific ways and arciologists (excuse spelling) were digging up and investigating DNa of the bones to understand more about the illness.
In the program they also looked at documents found and preserved that were kept in respect of the dead like a death register, family tree etc.. And I can't help but notice that the writing in the register was so similar to this in your letter? They said it would have been written in a very specific style and only by somebody who was specifically trained in that style to write it. Commenting that each insert looked identical and it was very difficult to understand, it needed to be interpreted by somebody who studied a particular writing method, but it just looked identical to the style in this picture very big swoops and loops of letters and seems to look repeated in a way.
Bizzar to say the least but I wonder if it could be similar some sort of old Victorian writing, method or similar, sure program would be on again

Just a thought, pretty random but it stuck me a spookily similar op!!!

mygorgeousmilo Mon 20-Feb-17 08:08:37

*Middle of the lines I mean

mygorgeousmilo Mon 20-Feb-17 08:08:03

It's not from Myanmar. I'm always saying to people that my knowledge of SE Asian languages is bloody useless - not today! grin it isn't from either Burma, Laos, or Thailand. Nothing coming from a Pali or Sanskrit origin. They have tall bits that go up and over, and long bits that go under, and it doesn't do that strange floating in the middle of the page either.

ArgyMargy Mon 20-Feb-17 08:00:03

Someone way upthread suggested Myanmar - have you checked that out OP?

HerRoyalFattyness Mon 20-Feb-17 07:39:31

So there's plenty of theories (mostly saying it's a spell) but still no one can translate? Frustrating!

AYankinSpanx Mon 20-Feb-17 01:47:46

I know I"ve said this upthread, but I think the 'copper' coins might be the key to understanding a lot. OP, did you clock how old the coins were?

wafflyversatile Mon 20-Feb-17 01:36:35

Maybe email the British library?

Mrsknackered Sun 19-Feb-17 21:48:31

Place marking. Please let us find out!

mincepiesareyum Sun 19-Feb-17 21:37:43

This is fascinating!

velveteenmummy Sun 19-Feb-17 21:25:28

Could even be a love spell with the same words and names repeated over and over. Two copper coins representing 2 people. I can definitely see the repetition in the script. Or a boundary spell if another was found locally someone might be keeping an unwanted ex away. I had a polish friend and know these traditions are still very much alive in other cultures.

user1477282676 Sun 19-Feb-17 21:13:07

Humming quite a lot of people. Some people who just seem to be ordinary and others who are obviously openly practicing witches. Also, some people from cultures other than ours. A lot of Eastern countries have a culture of "magic" and these sort of spells are often protection type spells or a desire for wealth.

If OP is well off it could be someone seeking wealth themselves. There are many spells involving placing things "on a rich man's land" or taking earth from them too.

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 21:10:18

So, what does the spell say?
Wicca writing does not look like that according to Google Images (but what do I know).

HoHumming Sun 19-Feb-17 21:06:03

I'm fascinated by this thread. Am I totally naive to ask who writes/makes spells? I've only ever heard about them in children's stories that involve a witch e.g. Room on the broom.

velveteenmummy Sun 19-Feb-17 21:03:44

It's a spell. the coins are added because of their property copper. I would get rid of them. Burn it if you have a log burner and say a cleansing spell to counteract it. It could be to keep the person who wrote it safe or to try to bother someone else either way you don't want to keep it. I will do a cleansing protective energy wash/prayer for you, don't freak you are absolutely safe.

ReginaGeorgeinSheepsClothing Sun 19-Feb-17 17:40:30

Dalek?? grin -clutching at straws-

BringMeTheFreak Sun 19-Feb-17 17:36:28

I wondered if it was Dothraki but it isn't hmm

mygorgeousmilo Sun 19-Feb-17 12:11:51

Pacific me too! I can't wait to eventually see the answer. It's not Sanskrit either, or Pali. They have long bits going upwards and downwards, and little circles that sort of 'float'. This much I know, but otherwise still baffled confused

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 11:42:49

Am now looking at Sanskrit rather than hanging up the washing! grin

PacificDogwod Sun 19-Feb-17 11:40:42

Oh, ok, was just a thought.

I am totally riveted by this conundrum grin

mygorgeousmilo Sun 19-Feb-17 11:34:47

Definitely not Thai. I am fluent, Thai script doesn't go in that direction or hover between lines, and just looks very different. Still following to find out the answer, it's fascinating!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »