Talk

Advanced search

About this cafe? (I think I am!)

(22 Posts)
Lozzy5790 Fri 10-Feb-17 18:58:37

In fact, I know I am, but I can't get it out of my head so hopefully you'll let me rant.

On Tuesday DH had the day off so we walked into town with the baby and we went to my favourite cafe for a toastie and a coffee. They have toasties made up on a fridge but also specifically say on their menu that they will also make one to order. DH wanted ham and cheese but they only had ham, cheese and tomato. I asked them to make one up (mine came out of the fridge) and the guy said he would just pick the tomatoes out. I said we'd really prefer it if he made us one without tomatoes and he rolled his eyes and shouted across the cafe that they'd have to make up another toastie.

All the guy did was roll his eyes and make a funny face but it's really pissed me off. I don't think IABU with asking for one to be made up, because even if they picked the tomatoes off, the tomatoes would have soaked into the bread. I wish I'd said something at the time because the guys attitude is still really annoying me but what would I have said?

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Fri 10-Feb-17 19:03:59

Not the best customer service and I think I would of said Well if you can't be bothered then I'll go somewhere else.

I just think when they are a business obviously looking to make money they should at the very least have staff with manners. They advertise they make toasties so why was he an arse?

You can taste when tomatoes have been picked out, My dad can not stand tomato and people telling him to pick them out is his pet hate

NotInMyBackYard1 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:05:34

Pretty rubbish for all the people allergic to tomatoes - I'm guessing the guy serving you didn't ask or care about that possibility then?

Deathraystare Fri 10-Feb-17 19:06:18

Well if they said on the menu thay could make it up I think you are not unresonable. Your husband may hate/ be allergic to tomatoes. If they are going to get arsey about it they shold remove that info.

If I had asked for a cheese and tomato and the reply was to take the ham out I would not have been happy as I do not eat meat.

ferriswheel Fri 10-Feb-17 19:06:44

Ywnbu

I wouldn't go back.

DesolateWaist Fri 10-Feb-17 19:09:10

I don't know if I'd want to eat anywhere that had them pre made like that. How long have they been sat there going dry?

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 10-Feb-17 19:12:36

Picking the tomatoes out - ooh....lovely!

YWNBU.

bumsexatthebingo Fri 10-Feb-17 19:12:44

Yanbu. But like pp said I think I'd have left once he suggested fishing the tomatoes out.

Fighterofthenightman Fri 10-Feb-17 19:15:27

I'd really let this go.

Chloe84 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:15:52

That's gross. And I love tomatoes.

I would drop them an email.

PossumInAPearTree Fri 10-Feb-17 19:20:07

Yanbu. I can't stand tomatoes and wouldn't like picked out tomatoes.

I was in Morrisons cafe once and ordered sausage, chips and beans set meal and specifically said no beans please. It came with beans so I sent it back. It was returned a minute later with the beans having been scraped off the plate, there was still bean juice all over the chips. Waitress was not impressed when I sent it back again!

Floggingmolly Fri 10-Feb-17 19:25:23

Sometimes it takes so very little to get it right... I once sent back something in a Mexican restaurant (a fajita?) because it was stone cold.
It came back piping hot, both the fajita and the accompanying salad because they'd just shoved the plate in the microwave in it's entirety.
Why?

ilovesooty Fri 10-Feb-17 19:26:48

If you can't say something at the time there seems very little point in holding on to it afterwards. Why didn't your husband speak up about his order?

Sparklingbrook Fri 10-Feb-17 19:29:52

Bit late to be mulling this over now. You will have to find a new favourite cafe.

bumsexatthebingo Fri 10-Feb-17 19:32:08

Yes definitely find a new favourite cafe. And it is there loss. If they'd happily made you a fresh toastie they would have retained you as a customer.

PeachBellini123 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:37:14

I asked for a burger without cheese at a Harvester. It came with cheese so I sent it back. Waitress returned about 5 minutes later with a burger. It was obviously the same one - I could see bits of cheese left on it from where they'd scraped it off

YNBU.

MollyHuaCha Fri 10-Feb-17 19:40:01

Once I ordered spaghetti bolognese, checking first that it would be dairy free as I have a milk allergy. It came with Parmesan ready sprinkled all over it. Of course, I sent it back with the waitress. A few minutes later, the same plate appeared and it was obvious that someone had attempted to pick off the Parmesan - probably with their fingers confused

londonrach Fri 10-Feb-17 19:40:41

Yuk. Theres a food hygiene thingie here. Just dont return and leave honest trip advisor review. You could have had an allery and picking it off wont stop that!

HappyFlappy Fri 10-Feb-17 19:44:03

there was still bean juice all over the chips

That is gross Possum

I can tolerate beans with a slice of toast, but they NEVER form part of a meal for me, and their juice on anything is just vile!

ZippyNeedsFeeding Fri 10-Feb-17 19:47:45

Usually I feel sorry for the cafe owners when there are threads like this, but in this case, they were being totally unreasonable.
I presume they have pre-made sandwiches which they then toast when needed? It doesn't take a genius to work out that picking out the tomatoes wouldn't be good enough (and I was a reluctant cafe worker but not even I would tell a customer I'd just pick out the bits they didn't want!). Rolling eyes and arsey attitude is never going to help , either.

Mysterycat23 Fri 10-Feb-17 19:51:16

It's annoying because it was your favourite cafe. No doubt you've been in there loads of times spending hard earned cash supporting a local business (from your description sounds like a non chain). Feels like a kick in the face when a fave place treats you badly. Especially when it's a local business. Simply annoyingly bad customer service. Local businesses are the worst for this where I live, got sick of it so gave up and now always go to the chain coffee shop where the staff are actually quite nice. YANBU.

LolDeLol Fri 10-Feb-17 20:12:48

YABU to have been thinking about this for sooo long. wink The guy was rude. If the cafe is generally nice then I'd go back but if it's been a bit so so in the past then I wouldn't. It's no biggie.

Personally I avoid places with rude staff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now