Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think jewellery shouldn't break so easily?

(13 Posts)
Anotherdayanotherdollar Fri 10-Feb-17 16:51:09

I'll admit that I know nothing about jewellery so maybe I am unreasonable.

It's less than 5yrs since I got engaged. My husband chose a ring himself (9ct white gold with solitaire diamond), he was told 9ct was more hard-wearing as the gold isn't as pure.

Within a few months two claws holding the diamond had been damaged and the diamond was loose. We returned to the jewellers and they repaired it. Less than a year later the same thing happened, only the diamond was missing before I noticed. As the ring was still under warranty it was replaced (for another ring the same).
Skip to this week, I noticed that a claw has broken again!

Aibu to think that it shouldn't break Iike this?

I don't wear rings to work so it's only around the house etc and I wear gloves when cleaning. I've never heard of other people's rings being damaged like this but it's less than 5 years and 3 breaks to 2 rings!

RB68 Fri 10-Feb-17 17:03:50

its the style of ring and they are prone to it - the 9ct is harder but because it is a claw design and a solitaire they do catch on things and are vulnerable,

SillySongsWithLarry Sat 11-Feb-17 10:01:30

It seems like it's not fit for purpose. I have a 9ct solitaire engagement ring and a 9ct diamond set wedding ring. Both have been resized which weakens the setting and they are never taken off so take a regular beating and both are still going strong.

KateDaniels2 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:04:33

Isnt white gild meant to 9 be softer than than the same ct in yellow gold?

I have had my white gold engagement ring for 7 years and never had a problem. But it doesnt have claws. I wonder if the claws are catching and (assuming i am correct about if being softer) they just cant take the strain.

Unsure123456 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:07:32

Thats awful. Where is the ring from? Reason why i ask is my engagement ring is not expensive particularly although its very special to me. Its from ernest jones and I've had it for 8 years and it is still perfect. I only wear it when i am out (i take it off when i get home each day and never wear it to clean etc, same with all my jewelry) and it has claws and a diamond set within. I would be asking for a refund or bite the bullet and exchange for something else even if you have to pay the difference.

kel1234 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:18:07

I have a 9ct yellow gold solitaire with a 6 claw setting, and it's fine. In fact all my jewellery is 9ct yellow gold and I never take any of it off. I've never had suck problems at all

Peachypeaches Sat 11-Feb-17 10:21:52

I have a white gold 6 claw solitaire. It's 15 years old now and still perfect. I wear it all the time including washing up, beach, sleeping. It doesn't sound like yours is fit for purpose if the claws are that weak.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 11-Feb-17 10:22:02

I've an antique opal and diamond ring, so goodness knows how old it is, i NEVER take it off, and I have had it on without issue for thirty years.

I'd go and complain long and hard, on a nice busy saturday before Valentines you should have quite the audience in a jewellers.

Anotherdayanotherdollar Sat 11-Feb-17 10:28:13

Unsure, it was bought in Ernest Jones. As engagement rings go it wasn't the most expensive but very expensive for us (1k).
I love the ring and I'm pretty sentimental. But I don't want to spend the rest of my life repairing and replacing!

My sister's and friends have rings with claws and they haven't had problems. If I were to replace it I would probably choose something very similar but if they claw is the issue it might just happen again!

Unsure123456 Sat 11-Feb-17 10:32:05

Mine is from ernest jones too as i said and was £900 although it is 18ct gold its lasted really well. Go back and complain and don't take no for an answer xx

peppersaunt Sat 11-Feb-17 11:18:25

The diamond in My 4-claw engagement ring kept loosening as the claws caught on things. Last time I had it repaired they recommended having it reset in a 6-claw setting, the thinking being that if one of four loosens the stone can't be secured by only 3 but 5/6 will still ensure the stone stays secure. Fingers crossed!

bigbluebus Sat 11-Feb-17 11:51:58

I've just had to have a diamond replaced and the claws repaired on my 23 year old engagement ring. It was not a very expensive ring and has been worn daily including when doing housework. YANBU to expect it to last longer than 5 years - although maybe they're not built to last these days!

Anotherdayanotherdollar Sat 11-Feb-17 17:22:49

Just to update, I returned the ring to the jewellers and it has been replaced (again!) They said it was clearly a manufacturing problem and is very unlikely to happen again. I was given the option of choosing a different ring and paying the difference but that wasn't an option for us at the minute!

So, although it's not ideal, I have a perfect ring and the customer service was very good. Thanks for the advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now