Talk

Advanced search

Reading rewards opinions please

(6 Posts)
Catlady1976 Fri 10-Feb-17 14:19:23

Posting for traffic
Our local secondary uses a scheme where kids are set a target to read books and do quizzes based on them. Each target is individual based on their reading level.
If the child meets their target they are rewarded with a non uniform day.
Each time it happens the school gets slated on social media for doing this.
So I was just wondering if people think that it is wrong or right for the school to do this.
Thank you

ThisMorningWentBadly Fri 10-Feb-17 14:45:26

Why is it slated? Sounds like a good thing to me.

Catlady1976 Fri 10-Feb-17 14:48:44

That kids would be bullied because they didn't get target. People called it public humiliation etc etc.

Mehfruittea Fri 10-Feb-17 14:49:08

Does it single out those who have struggled to reach their target? Perhaps SEN unreasonably outed? Stretch targets put in place that were to tough for more able? PFB not hit target so school is too blame?

Catlady1976 Fri 10-Feb-17 14:52:34

The targets are supposed to be based on ability. Ie those on a Lower level get a lower target so I feel it is fair.
I am guessing that there will be some with unfair targets but I didn't think school deserved the slating it got.

ThisMorningWentBadly Fri 10-Feb-17 14:57:54

Provided the targets are set correctly for each child I can't see the problem.

DS1 Is doing a reading challenge at school he has been given a list of books he needs to read, and be able to answer questions on, before the end of term. Each child has been given a list relevant to them. It is encourgaging him to read because he likes winning and is no doubt aware that there is a large bag of haribo from the teacher if he finishes .

He is reading more than ever before, he is trying new authors and and genres and he is putting a great deal of effort in. Frankly I could kiss his teacher's feet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now