Talk

Advanced search

To think this parent is really grabby?

(321 Posts)
MintLeafTea Fri 10-Feb-17 11:53:22

NC (is that you UCM) red rug/Titania/clay of cock.

My ds go to a local scout group. They run loads of events. Another parent used to go in and help out and she'd take photos for the newsletters and social media. She also used to e mail us digital photos.

She still helps out but in the newsletter there is a link and she is now selling all her photos.

AIBU to think she's only doing this to boost her business and I should tell her I want my children exempt from having their photos taken unless I can have copies (in lieu of modelling fees)

OneWithTheForce Fri 10-Feb-17 11:57:28

Can you clarify please, is she using the photos she has taken at the scouting events to promote her business? Is she selling the photos she takes at scouting events??

MintLeafTea Fri 10-Feb-17 11:59:30

Yes she does.

Also when they do inhouse activities or get awards she takes photos and also gives images to the leader for social media.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Feb-17 11:59:58

Do you mean selling the photos to the parents, or to anyone?

MintLeafTea Fri 10-Feb-17 12:00:54

To the parents yes.

AyeAmarok Fri 10-Feb-17 12:01:43

Just tell her you don't want your DC in any photos that are going to be published online.

Unless you are quite happy to put photos of your DC online on Facebook/instagram etc, in which case you'll just look petty.

Scarydinosaurs Fri 10-Feb-17 12:03:56

Modelling fees??

She will only make money if you buy them- your children are hardly modelling for her.

Hassled Fri 10-Feb-17 12:04:20

It sounds like she's more than done her bit for the scout troop, and has now decided that she's not giving her services for free anymore, which I can understand. The photographer has copyright so that's not an issue. But I can see your problem re her making money out of an image of your child - did you at any stage sign a "permission to take photos" slip? You could always withdraw that permission.

OneWithTheForce Fri 10-Feb-17 12:04:23

Ok so the scouting group should have a contract with her as a professional photographer in attendance at events. Have you heard that this is the case? You should also have signed permission for your child's photo to be taken at these events. Parents and volunteers can't just take photos and sell them back to other parents.

MintLeafTea Fri 10-Feb-17 12:04:30

I'm not being petty
I used to get photos from her all the time, now I have to pay as she won't email them any more

MintLeafTea Fri 10-Feb-17 12:05:42

I did sign a form saying I was happy BEFORE

Now she is charging.

I don't think she has a contract with the group. She's assists during the sessions- she is also a parent.

OneWithTheForce Fri 10-Feb-17 12:06:59

I would withdraw consent under these circumstances.

MintLeafTea Fri 10-Feb-17 12:07:45

onewithforce
So if she has no written contract with the group I can stop her taking and selling the photos?

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Feb-17 12:09:57

Then she's not doing anything wrong.
She has decided she no longer wants to provide her services for free. That's fine.
To can also now say you don't want your dc to be photographed. As things have changed. It's petty though.
I think it sounds like you were extremely lucky in the past that this, presumably professional photograpger, was doing it for free.

Bluebellevergreen Fri 10-Feb-17 12:10:14

Have you signed a form of consent?
Is she selling the pics to other people?

If you have signed and she wants to sell the pics to you and you dont want that then remove your consent for any further pictures and take your own

OneWithTheForce Fri 10-Feb-17 12:11:20

I'm not sure but I'd be very surprised a parent can suddenly just start profittung from photos taken at group events. Costs covered? Sure, but if it's her business she'all be after a profit. If she is just covering costs she will have stated that. Has she?

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Feb-17 12:13:35

You could say she's not to photograph your dc.
But other parents might quite like her to carry on with their dc.
I would like her to as long as there's no obligation to buy, but if there's a good photo I would buy.

SaucyJack Fri 10-Feb-17 12:14:55

"I think it sounds like you were extremely lucky in the past that this, presumably professional photograpger, was doing it for free."

Any Tom, Dick or Harry can buy a camera, and set themselves up as a "professional" photographer.

Doesn't make them Mario Testino.

I'd be withdrawing permission. Cheeky cow.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Feb-17 12:15:55

What she's doing is the same as a photographer who comes in to a school for school photos. You give your consent, or not, and you pay for the photos if you want. Or not. You don't ask for modelling fees.
Just withdraw your consent.

Pommes Fri 10-Feb-17 12:17:44

How much is she charging per photo?

MintLeafTea Fri 10-Feb-17 12:18:14

She's has said no obligation YY.
I cannot take photos like hers because she has a proper camera and I only have my phone. Yes they are nice but any idiot can take a photo if you have all the right equipment.

It's the principal-how can she not make a profit when the emailed copies were free and now she's charging people £10 for an 8x10 print.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Feb-17 12:18:55

But what's the point of withdrawing consent? All that happens is she has a slightly more difficult task of taking photos to avoid your dc, and you don't have the opportunity to purchase a lovely photo of your dc. I'm not sure what you'd gain from it?

MintLeafTea Fri 10-Feb-17 12:18:58

And Y she is a professional it's her day job.

arethereanyleftatall Fri 10-Feb-17 12:20:12

But why shouldn't she make a profit? She's giving her time.

MintLeafTea Fri 10-Feb-17 12:20:50

I sounded out other parents(the ones we know) they are all for it. Said it's easier for them at presentations etc.

Maybe I will buy a posh camera and do the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now