Advanced search

Landlord and 2 men let themselves in?

(183 Posts)
IHaveAToiletBrush Fri 10-Feb-17 08:06:38

Ok, we are moving out shortly 28 Feb I gave them notice as we are buying but I still feel they crossed the line. I have had my suspicions that someone was in the house Monday as things had been moved and things taken down off walls like photos etc but I couldn't prove it was them. Yesterday I was home upstairs minding my own business heard men talking downstairs rang dh to do if it was him and no he was still at work. I was about to ring 999 as I thought it was burglars just as I dailed they cheerful burst through bedroom door. They were as shocked as to see me as I was them but they just carried on walking room the house and told me like a child to go wait in the kitchen until they had finished. What are my rights here? What the fuck do I do now, I know it is only 3 weeks left but surely I have the right to feel save in my own home and right now I just don't.

IHaveAToiletBrush Fri 10-Feb-17 08:08:15

Sorry for typo's on phone and auto correct thinks it knows best.

AndShesGone Fri 10-Feb-17 08:09:03

They're not allowed to just wander in, you should have kicked them out.

Do you have a managing agent? I'd tell them no visitors for the next 3 weeks.

Itisnoteasybeingdifferent Fri 10-Feb-17 08:09:04

Read your tennancy agreement.

Friendinneed2016 Fri 10-Feb-17 08:09:53

That's really not on. Can you lock it from the inside? I would phone up and say that you do not give permission for them to be in your house. Have you got an agent too?

dowhatnow Fri 10-Feb-17 08:10:03

They shouldn't be there without notice. How you enforce that I have no idea, other than going through he agent.

Coldhandscoldheart Fri 10-Feb-17 08:10:17

No, no, no. That is Not Okay and Not Allowed! I can't remember what you're supposed to do about it though. Do you have a door chain? I'd be keeping that on while I was in the house.

RedBugMug Fri 10-Feb-17 08:11:26

they are not allowed to come into your home unless you give permission.
they are tresspassing.
tell your agent and landlord that you do not give permission.

and change the locks. just get a new barrel that you can then hopefully reuse in your new home.

Lozza92 Fri 10-Feb-17 08:11:42

They were most definitely in the wrong a landlord has to give you a minimum of 24 hours notice before entering the property, and you still have to give permission, also who are they to order you around in your own home?! I'm not sure who's best but CAB or shelter would probably be best as to advising you on your rights and any action you might be able to take

user1471537877 Fri 10-Feb-17 08:13:26


Post in the house and garden section where there are a number of experts on this subject

Essentially as I understand it, they have no legal right to enter the property, have to arrange access by agreeement giving at least 24 hours notice and you can still say no

You are within rights to chain the door and bar access, unless your tenancy stipulates otherwise you can change the lock barrel until the end of your tenancy but but return the original on moving out

IHaveAToiletBrush Fri 10-Feb-17 08:14:13

No, no chain or agent he manages it himself. The other 2 men were his employees. I know it is illegal and I want to report it to where I need to report it to but don't know where that is. I think see them there yesterday comfirms to me it was them that took the photos down and removed the dc name plates from bedroom doors.

Creampastry Fri 10-Feb-17 08:14:52

Kick them out ffs! Have some balls!

Creampastry Fri 10-Feb-17 08:15:23

Make a complaint .... is your deposit protected ed?

IHaveAToiletBrush Fri 10-Feb-17 08:16:16

I will try shelter, I feel violated and unsafe at home now and it is the worse feeling ever.

TheProblemOfSusan Fri 10-Feb-17 08:16:32

The relevant bit of your agreement is called the right to quiet enjoyment. Email the landlord and managing agent and remind them of this, be reasonable and say that you're not saying no viewings but you need the legally required notice and you're not happy that they were interfering with your belongings.

They might not stop - I don't know what you're supposed to do then but might be something on the CAB website?

TheProblemOfSusan Fri 10-Feb-17 08:17:30

It might be that you can bring this up a deposit tribunal if they piss you about with it.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Fri 10-Feb-17 08:18:08

Can you email him and tell him something along the lines of "since you accessed the property without consent I assume that you're taking responsibility for anything damaged or dirty and returning my deposit in full" iyswim?

I don't know if that's possible or not though, but might give you something if he tries to withhold any.

Anticyclone Fri 10-Feb-17 08:18:57

Totally, utterly wrong. These people are preventing you from having "quiet enjoyment" of your property, which you should have right up until the last day of your tenancy. You have this statutory right regardless of what it says in your contract. They cannot do this. Yes to changing the locks, or if they do it again call the police. That might shock them into realising that they are doing wrong.

namechange20050 Fri 10-Feb-17 08:20:14

I'd call 101. They have broken thd law coming into your property like that.

LouBlue1507 Fri 10-Feb-17 08:20:53

Leave the key in the door!

tiggersreturn Fri 10-Feb-17 08:23:28

It's a breach of quiet enjoyment. Put it in writing to the landlord detailing what happened, hold them responsible for any damage. Your deposit should be protected in one of the schemes. If it isn't or they haven't informed you where it can be held they can be fined £3000 minimum. If this happens again call the police.

IHaveAToiletBrush Fri 10-Feb-17 08:24:54

The key was in the front door lock my side, when he unlocked it his key pushed mine out enough to turn the lock his side.

These were not people viewing the house these were landlord and 2 of his employees. We have had viewings about 12 so far but I have been the one to do them but think from now on I will be saying I am not doing anymore as it is not my job.

IHaveAToiletBrush Fri 10-Feb-17 08:27:33

Do you think I should ring 101 and log this? I don't know what crime it would be but would like it logged somewhere for my protection in the future.

TheCatsMother99 Fri 10-Feb-17 08:28:07


How awful!

Speak to the citizens advice bureau and see what they say. They definitely needed to give you notice that they wanted to attend and I think they can only insist if it's for emergency works otherwise they need to just wait till you actually move out.

Telling you to wait in the kitchen is absolutely disgusting and I'm enraged on your behalf.

You shouldn't have to but when you're in the house on your own could you put a chair by the door to stop them coming in unannounced? It might give you a little peace of mind.

TheCatsMother99 Fri 10-Feb-17 08:29:36

I guess it won't hurt to call 101 as it's not their emergency number.

You don't feel safe in your own home. And it is YOUR home until l the 28th.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: