Talk

Advanced search

A face from the past...job related

(17 Posts)
maddiemookins16mum Fri 10-Feb-17 07:59:35

I had an interview for a new job last week (within my industry as such). It went very well. The industry I work in is one that is quite, I can't think of the right word, well everyone knows each other or of people even if you work for another firm within that same industry (if that makes sense).

On my interview email it gave the name of the person interviewing me. I went along, sat and waited and at 10.30 someone came to get me. Lo and behold it was a woman who used to work at a company I did several years before. It wasn't the person named on the interview email. We acknowleged that we recalled each other, made polite chat.

I went with her and the other man, the head of dept, was there too (as named on the email). Once in the interview room, she said "did they tell you I'd be interviewing you also", "no", I replied. If they had named her, I would 100% have recognised her name (uncommon and as mentioned before, same industry background).

Here's the thing, I really disliked her in the past, she was actually "let go" from the previous company, several of my close friends had her as a line manager and hated her. I messaged two of them and said 'I was interviewed by Whatsherface McWhatshername today" and they were horrified for me. I think she asked HR to not put her name on the email because I'd recognise it. She certainly recognised my name/CV as soon as she saw it, she admitted.

She'd be my line manager. During the interview she was quite aggressive and mardy (she was like this at the old job).

I need the job, but know I'll be miserable. I find out today. Of course, I might not get it, but if I do I think I'll have to turn it down because I could not stand working for her, is that unreasonable?

Squirmy65ghyg Fri 10-Feb-17 08:04:26

Nope. Sounds miserable. You'd just end up leaving anyway?

unfortunateevents Fri 10-Feb-17 08:04:47

Not at all unreasonable. Think of it as fortunate that you know about her before you actually start the job. From the sound of it, even if you hasn't known her previously her behaviour in the interview was off putting. There will be other jobs for you!

Sunnysky2016 Fri 10-Feb-17 08:06:00

In your position I think if I was offered I would turn it down. The stress of working with someone that I had previously negative history with would cause to much stress.
But I'm sure someone will
Come along to tell you to give her a chance!

TreeTop7 Fri 10-Feb-17 08:07:18

Is there any way you could use your contacts to find out whether she's improved in the intervening years? The aggressive interviewing technique implies not, but it may be worth looking into it.

NormaSmuff Fri 10-Feb-17 08:08:06

is there any chance you could be stronger and better at dealing with her this time round?

WaitrosePigeon Fri 10-Feb-17 08:08:36

You'll end up leaving anyway. Save yourself the drama.

ForeverLivingMyArse Fri 10-Feb-17 08:09:35

I was manged by someone like that who made mine and several others life hell. I work I a small sector and locality and hope she's found out before I come across her again! If I did go for an interview and it was to be under her I wouldn't take it. The fact she has went to lengths to not let you know she'd be on the interview is el suggests she would be as big a nightmare as prevously!

lalalonglegs Fri 10-Feb-17 09:07:31

If you are offered the job, would it be possible to say that your circumstances have changed and to see if you can get some consultancy role for a while with the firm rather than work directly for the ex-colleague? Don't take the job if you know you will be miserable there.

RB68 Fri 10-Feb-17 09:20:34

I know its hard in a small very interacted industry but I would be tempted to feed back that you have been exposed to her management style previously and are aware that is clashes with you style of working and you won't be accepting the position. If she already has rep in the industry she will likely be aware, her current management may not and it may highlight this and also explain to them why they might have trouble in house or recruiting and act as a flag - I dont like unfairly labelling people but where they are making other peoples lives miserable I get very worked up about it

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Fri 10-Feb-17 09:35:38

Not to be a dream squasher here, but if she was let go by another employer and she knows you know that, I would be very surprised if you did get an offer. She wouldn't want you anywhere near her and her colleagues now - they might not know the truth.
What a horrible situation OP.

Sonders Fri 10-Feb-17 10:00:19

If you get the offer, please don't take it. You'll end up feeling awful and when you do eventually leave, queue a future of uneasy interview questions about why you didn't stay very long and why you left.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 10-Feb-17 10:29:36

However, if she was "let go" and given honest feedback that it was due to her management style then perhaps she has adjusted her working style. Also think carefully about the people who told you what she was like. Have they gone on since then to moan about all/any of their subsequent managers. Maybe they are just the type of people who moan about whoever they perceive to be in charge.

If it is really the job you want and all other aspects look right perhaps give it a go!

user1486613612 Fri 10-Feb-17 14:29:12

It'll probably sort itself out, that is chances are you don't get the job. She might be reading here too...

Beeziekn33ze Fri 10-Feb-17 14:44:08

Does she knows you're aware she was 'let go'? This time you're prepared for her. If you do get the job try being super professional, plus keep a note of any nastiness from her and if it mounts up see HR about her.
You never know, she might have learnt from the letting go. She seems to be uncomfortable as she kept her name off the interview arrangements. Did the other interviewer see her being aggressive and mardy?
Also - what Norma said!!

maddiemookins16mum Fri 10-Feb-17 17:40:29

I think she knows I know, especially as I stayed on a few years after she left. Haven't heard anything today, am hoping actually I don't get it (that means I haven't got to find an excuse not to take it).
Thanks for the feedback, I just know I'd dread the first day and every day after.
Pity really, as a lesser commute than now.
A PP mentioned better knowing now than turning up on day 1 and finding her as line manager, I couldn't agree more.

ElderDruid Fri 10-Feb-17 17:45:03

As someone who listens to their DH rant on coming home from work, don't do it. You'll be unhappy and it will have an impact on your life in general, you'll dread going to work. You're better off waiting for a better opportunity to come up. You could go as far to say she did it on purpose, just to see your reaction. It just reinforces what you already know. Hope you find something else soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now