Talk

Advanced search

Writing with Respect: An Education.

(19 Posts)
Baffledonthisone Fri 10-Feb-17 05:27:31

There are many instances of women tearing down women on AIBU, so I had an idea. Can we start an education thread?

Copy and paste a goady message and then clean it up to keep the sentiment but loose the nasty/goady/triggering tone.

NO SCREEN NAMES - this isn't a name and shame, more of a way to see if you can be 'just saying what you think' without descending into this tone of posting.

(Full disclosure: I am guilty of this sometimes too, and so would like the education myself)

Baffledonthisone Fri 10-Feb-17 05:28:27

Not quite sure how you equate wanting him to be manly and look after you with "Yes YABU, obviously your husband is like mine and can only use his brain for a few hours a day or it will burn out. Leave the poor little lamb alone" but hey ho. New definitions of "manly" and "looking after" that I haven't previously come across.

"Yes YABU, obviously your husband is like mine and can only use his brain for a few hours a day or it will burn out. Leave the poor little lamb alone"

These definitions of manly and looking after are quite a common alternative to how I feel. I do not equate the two, and find it hard to empathise with this point of view because.... etc etc

Fighterofthenightman Fri 10-Feb-17 05:39:23

confused

Jaagojaago Fri 10-Feb-17 05:51:22

hmmhmm

bloodymaria Fri 10-Feb-17 05:53:12

??

elodie2000 Fri 10-Feb-17 05:59:25

People rant on AIBU OP. It is what it is, don't overthink it!

Baffledonthisone Fri 10-Feb-17 06:02:41

elodie2000 Thank you for using words in your reply. I think you are right.

I have asked MNHQ to delete this thread before it gets going - it isn't going to be anything more than a bashing. sad

user1477282676 Fri 10-Feb-17 06:19:14

Well OP it's just not going to work. Random posts with no context? People don't read ALL the threads and so won't be able to "improve" them without context.

Baffledonthisone Fri 10-Feb-17 06:24:24

I think that is a fair comment. I was delirious with fantasies of peace love and self improvement!

We'll blame the early morning and hope to god MNHQ gets this down before my nose hair gets singed! blush

toomuchtooold Fri 10-Feb-17 06:38:27

I get where you're coming from OP but I think all one can do is mentally edit one's own posts (I mean this as a hypothetical, not a sideswipe at you!) and try to be the change you want to see.

Baffledonthisone Fri 10-Feb-17 06:45:26

I know - it's so hard to do it with your own words though.

I can read something and think, "oomph!"

But I can reread something I write a day later and go blush

Baffledonthisone Fri 10-Feb-17 06:45:43

Wrote

picklemepopcorn Fri 10-Feb-17 06:48:14

Nice idea but I wouldn't worry too much. If you are too nice you get accused of being patronising anyway!

Baffledonthisone Fri 10-Feb-17 06:54:06

grin true. Or a goady fucker! Do you think MNHQ are asleep or just making me stew for my poor judgement!?

BeingATwatItsABingThing Fri 10-Feb-17 06:54:44

It's an interesting idea but I don't think it will work. Sorry OP.

TheClaws Fri 10-Feb-17 06:54:58

Just to clarify, is Part 2 of your OP an example? And the first paragraph a 'Before' and the second paragraph an 'After'?

I just couldn't see much difference between the two, that's all.

Baffledonthisone Fri 10-Feb-17 07:05:53

Im going to name change. If you see any posts by twattythreadstarter feel free to say hi! grin

picklemepopcorn Fri 10-Feb-17 07:16:32

But there are so many twatty thread starters...! No one will remember you. Rise above..., live and learn, or some other cliché...

TheClaws Fri 10-Feb-17 07:34:43

Not that I thought there was anything in particular wrong with the idea, baffled! I've had a thread before (deleted by MN for other reasons) with similar tones. It would be great if people could treat others with respect - it is possible to disagree with someone without name-calling, etc. However, apparently, this is is AIBU, meaning: be prepared for anything!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now