Talk

Advanced search

To think this ruins my life?

(31 Posts)
Iloveprettythings Thu 09-Feb-17 22:26:33

I have emetophobia and it honestly ruins my life. My DD was sick at nursery today and I have been on the verge of a melt down since. My chest is pounding and I am jittery with nerves.
Has anyone here had a phobia and been cured?
I have searched on line, had some hypnotherapy before but still am no better. It's ruining my life.

user892 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:33:35

Try cognitive behavioural therapy...

A friend with emetophobia recently had a breakthrough when she realised that her fears were illogical and she decided she didn't want to be held prisoner by her own thoughts any more.

One thing that can help, and it sounds simplistic, is thinking what's the worst that can happen?

PaperdollCartoon Thu 09-Feb-17 22:37:21

I had hypnotherapy for a phobia, it worked in one session, was amazing and I can't recommend it highly enough. Was absolutely worth the money. Could you try again? Maybe you need a few sessions, the therapist who did mine did say it can take a few sessions.

CBT could also be a good idea, this is clearly causing you big problems. Go to your GP and try to get a councilling referral.

Twopeapods Thu 09-Feb-17 22:37:29

I've been on an emetophobic thread in health. I'm the exact same and you are absolutely right. It does ruin you. You are always anxious about it. Look up a book called thrive by rob somebody. It's meant to be very good. I'm just waiting on it coming.
Don't worry about your DD. You might not get a bug. Keep a bottle of steriliser on you at all times.

JonSnowsWhore Thu 09-Feb-17 22:42:57

What do they do in these different therapies? I have one that ruins my life a bit aswell. People always laugh at me for it but I am genuinely terrified. Would part of therapy include being made to go near one or touch one? I don't think I could do that

Iloveprettythings Thu 09-Feb-17 22:49:47

I have had about 5 sessions of Hypno therapy and he tries to take me back to something in my childhood that caused me to get a phobia. We have revisited many things but still not found the phobia trigger. Until I confront it, it won't go away (apparently) so I need to find that event some how via hypno.
I have heard of the thrive program too, apparently it is suppose to be good. You can do it with a hypnotherapist (it costs loads) or I am guessing you can read the book and try it yourself.
I might go to my GP. I am terrified of the phobia and also passing on my insecurities to my DD.

user892 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:54:18

Doesn't sound like great hypno, tbh - that's regression hypnotherapy - the idea that identifying and releasing something from your past will 'cure you' - it's not the most effective path to go down for emetophobia.

You'd be better off with something tackling your thought processes - definitely CBT / hypnoCBT - practical, quick and effective.

Some phobia cures (like spiders, planes) involve exposure therapy - this wouldn't be done in CBT.

Skatingonthinice16 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:54:45

This ruins my life to the point where I no longer want to leave the house. I'm not bothered about being sick myself though, it's the children being sick that makes me so anxious. It just seems to signify being really ill.
It is literally stealing all the happiness from my life. CBT did not help me.

user892 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:57:00

Certainly 5 sessions of hypnotherapy and no improvement - isn't right (I'm a clinical hypnotherapist).

Iloveprettythings Thu 09-Feb-17 22:58:51

That is interesting User. I feel like I want to try anything at the moment (not exposure therapy obviously).

user892 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:59:32

Please show your hypnotherapist this:

www.adamshypnosishub.com/topic/87/vomiting-phobia

JonSnowsWhore Thu 09-Feb-17 22:59:42

Ah exposure therapy that's the word I was looking for. Mine is an animal so I've always been too scared to try anything incase it came to having to be near one. Even though the damn things seem to have no problem coming near me envy

Anyway sorry to hijack the thread OP i really hope you get the help you're looking for, we may not have the same phobia but I definitely know what it's like to be so terrified of something that it ruins your life

DoorKnee Thu 09-Feb-17 22:59:51

You can get the Thrive book on amazon for kindle. It was a lot cheaper that way. I have the kindle app on my iPad. It's a good read and it doesn't have any element of exposure which I worried about before reading. I have no idea where it came from for me, I can't remember a time when I didn't have it.

user892 Thu 09-Feb-17 23:06:24

Whilst exposure therapy isn't the done thing in hypnotherapy, there's 'systematic desensitisation', which partly involves merely thinking about the thing the person is afraid of (in a v.safe way).

user892 Thu 09-Feb-17 23:07:24

*done thing in hypnotherapy for emetophobia (that should say!)

Iloveprettythings Thu 09-Feb-17 23:11:28

Jonsnow hijack away smile
User - where are you based? Maybe you can treat me grin

Iloveprettythings Thu 09-Feb-17 23:15:34

That link is interesting. So it is kind of exposure but you only move up when it's not traumatic to do so?

Caseclosedcube Thu 09-Feb-17 23:17:04

OP I am the same as you and you have my utmost sympathy. I am also at the point (as is a pp) of not really wanting to leave the house. As my children are young and don't have to be in formal education yet, I find that I can use that avoidance behaviour (not that it helps much.)

What I have found HAS helped is:
- having everything ready for a DC to throw up. Towels, bleach, a mask so you don't inhale the vapourised particles, a specific room to be and stay in rather than spreading it over the house, some anti viral hand sanitiser, cat litter to throw over the v to make it easier to clear up.
- hoarding some anti emetics. Things like cyclizine (you can get for motion sickness,) motilium to speed up gut motility, metaclopramide. They are great to have for peace of mind.
- to remember that it happens to everyone and everyone COPES. And that it is over quite quickly.

user892 Thu 09-Feb-17 23:17:16

South-west, though I just do birth hypnotherapy now... I trust the credentials of hypnotherapists listed on this register:-

www.hypnotherapists.org.uk

user892 Thu 09-Feb-17 23:20:18

So it is kind of exposure but you only move up when it's not traumatic to do so?

I have to confess I can't remember how to do systematic desensitisation blush - but nothing should deliberately invoke trauma and it's all super safe and at your own pace x

shazkiwi Thu 09-Feb-17 23:22:01

I had 3 sessions of hypnotherapy which helped a huge amount. I don't remember many details while I was under but I do know I caught my fear in my hand, turned it into a ball & pictured myself rolling it down a never-ending hill. Then any anxiety that was leftover got turned into laundry which I washed & hung on the line & it dried clean & bright - so free from fear. My hypnotherapist gave me a cd to listen to, to help me relax & practice creative visualisation which helped certainly helped the therapy.

TheEdgeofSeventeen Thu 09-Feb-17 23:31:41

Not Emetophobic but Haemophobia here ... I have seizures when i see too much or panic about it ... I've learned to deal with my own blood but still feel faint or head pounding when its someone elses ... I don't have kids yet so know it must be hard. following thread for advice x stay strong OP x

Nospringflower Thu 09-Feb-17 23:31:52

Anyone with a phobia should speak to their GP and can be referred for psychological therapy to help them. Different therapies are effective for different disorders and also can be shaped to suit the individual so dont be put off by the thought that you dont want to be exposed to whatever it is that you fear. Going privately means that you have to pay and you have to try and work out what you want. Going via the GP means that you are referrd and they work out what you need. Good luck with getting some help.
It really will transform your life if you can get over this.

TheEdgeofSeventeen Thu 09-Feb-17 23:32:56

Vomit however I am brilliant with - never been bothered at all, I just remember its just food that looks gross, it can't make me ill, can't cause any damage to me and bicarbonate soda gets the smell off of anything vomity xx

Iloveprettythings Thu 09-Feb-17 23:35:34

Does anyone know where their phobias came from?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now