Talk

Advanced search

Palm oil

(12 Posts)
Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Thu 09-Feb-17 21:38:24

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/jan/20/is-nutella-really-that-bad-for-you

I had no idea that Nutella tasted so lovely due to the fact it is basically just palm oil and sugar. I knew it was over 50% sugar but until I saw this I honestly had no idea quite how much palm oil was in it, and how little hazelnuts and cocoa.

How on earth can they market this as something wholesome to have as an afternoon snack. How on earth can they market this as food? Next time my kids ask for chocolate spread, it's going to be a no.

Wheredidallthejaffacakesgo Thu 09-Feb-17 21:40:10

Trying to get link to work

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/shortcuts/2017/jan/20/is-nutella-really-that-bad-for-you

picklemepopcorn Thu 09-Feb-17 21:41:25

Revolting. It's outrageously marketed, too.

QueenMortificado Thu 09-Feb-17 21:43:27

How can they market this as something wholesome

Companies can market things however they want. It's up to people if they actually buy them.

Exactly how wholesome could chocolate spread actually be?!

I gave up my favourite peanut butter as it has palm oil in it. Now I just eat the organic shit which is just ground peanuts and it's so boring.

picklemepopcorn Thu 09-Feb-17 21:50:08

I like meridian! No palm oil, no sugar...

I get that no one has to buy it, but they market it as a nutritious breakfast food with a photo of a hazelnut sat on a spoon with some milk... At least chocolate markets itself as a treat rather than a food.

PickAChew Thu 09-Feb-17 21:53:26

DS2 picked up a pot of ambrosia custard, the other day. I served it up to the boys, with some sponge puds, this evening, and was amazed that they had managed to cram palm oil into custard. Custard, FFS!

MyBeloved Thu 09-Feb-17 21:53:51

Palm oil is the work of the devil and the companies that grow it commercially are destroying the rainforest habitats of so many wonderful creatures.

QueenMortificado Thu 09-Feb-17 22:25:15

Pickle that's the one I buy and it has a weird texture and taste I think

NarkyMcDinkyChops Thu 09-Feb-17 22:27:43

How on earth can they market this as something wholesome to have as an afternoon snack

Anyone stupid enough to think that nutella is a wholesome snack is beyond talking to, tbh.

Ilovetorrentialrain Thu 09-Feb-17 22:31:00

Yes a quick look at the ingredients is all, that's needed. Sorry OP but marketers / ads are deceiving.

skankingpiglet Thu 09-Feb-17 23:03:15

It's chocolate spread. No matter what bollocks the advertisers would like you to believe, it's surely obvious it's not a healthy choice?

As for palm oil: bad for the environment, bad for people. A cheap, nasty, and unnecessary ingredient in any food.

Avamh Thu 09-Feb-17 23:06:37

Regarding peanut butter....pip and nut make the best without palm oil....I've tried some awful ones but theirs is sooo yummy!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now