Talk

Advanced search

Friend joining arranged night out last minute

(11 Posts)
muttimalzwei Thu 09-Feb-17 21:09:55

My husband doesn't get out very much due to work and kids and he's had a long standing arrangement with a good friend that he has a lot in common with (particular hobby) to go out for a meal at a new place for a good catch up. Last minute the friend's colleague has invited himself along to the night out. He's much younger than them goes out all the time and is just wanting a night out with the lads. Is it just me or should there be a bit of etiquette that says you need to understand when two mates just want to keep it simple and to themselves. My husband went out disappointed as he knows the talk will be around work (and not the hobby) and he was really just looking forward to a good catch up with his mate.
I think it's out of order for the young colleague to not understand this and I'm wondering if I'm just being old fashioned.

Palegreenstars Thu 09-Feb-17 21:14:10

I think it's more out of order of his friend to invite him along

Birdsgottaf1y Thu 09-Feb-17 21:15:23

It was up to the friend to make an excuse.

If the friend wanted him to go, then it's either leave them to it, or just look forward to a night out.

muttimalzwei Thu 09-Feb-17 21:18:44

They are colleagues who often end up having a beer after work for something to do and he just tagged along. Yes the friend should have said he was meeting my husband but he's a bit too nice like that and possible wouldn't want to lose face. Just disappointed for my husband as he never gets out!

brittabot Thu 09-Feb-17 21:19:58

Young colleague was obviously invited or else how would he know about it? if anyone breached etiquette it's the friend but not sure he did.

brittabot Thu 09-Feb-17 21:20:52

Sorry cross post but still think up to the friend.

Ilovecaindingle Thu 09-Feb-17 21:21:52

Can dh alter the time slightly so him and friend can have some time before the colleague turns up? Was a bit shitty tbh.
Most men aren't known to be tactful!!

OneWithTheForce Thu 09-Feb-17 21:26:21

Sometimes people are thoughtless. If it's a long standing arrangement then your husband will see his friend loads more. He just needs to tell him he'd rather it was just the two of them. It's a one off, I'd shrug it off tbh. Mild annoyance really unless it becomes a regular thing.

NotInMyBackYard1 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:44:38

They should just talk their hobby all night - friend will soon get bored and make excuses to leave.

CondensedMilkSarnies Thu 09-Feb-17 21:47:36

There's always another night. Friend should really not have invited the younger Bloke really , has your DH asked him why ?

muttimalzwei Thu 09-Feb-17 22:07:42

You know what men are like - he'll have just gone with the flow. Hope they have talked about their hobby all night ha!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now