Talk

Advanced search

To feel like I can't take any more?

(22 Posts)
DizzyFizzyLizzy Thu 09-Feb-17 20:39:03

I'm nearly 20 weeks pregnant. I have a two year old DD and I work three days per week as a solicitor.

I have constant nausea. Constant. It just never ends. I lurch between being starving and feeling sick. I vomit every single morning. My chest is so sore I can barely shower. I'm so tired I feel like my head is full of cotton wool.

It wasn't like this the last time.

Work has just been awful. It's so stressful. No sympathy there whatsoever, no allowances for feeling poorly. I feel like I'm suffocating when I think about it.

DD is an angel but hard work as every two year old is. I'm not doing enough with her. Constant guilt there. DH is fab but he doesn't really understand, he's under pressure at work too and he does loads. He's stressed too.

I know I only have to get through a few more months then mat leave but I just feel like I'm going to keel over before then. I'm stressed out my mind.

Jayfee Thu 09-Feb-17 20:46:38

I really feel for you. I had all day sickness for 16 weeks. My doctor eventually made me take something to stop the sickness as i got very dehydrated. So can you see your gp? And can you make sure you get some time to yourself this weekend. Dh can take dd out for a few hours and you can relax?? Good luck. Hope you feel better soon?

nobodysnogslikejoebloggs Thu 09-Feb-17 20:49:36

I was like this - my GP signed me off work and gave me cyclezine. Can you speak to your doctor and get signed off for a couple of weeks until you feel better?

xStefx Thu 09-Feb-17 20:50:37

There are a lot of very safe things your doctor can prescribe you for this. A million miles away from the drugs that caused so much controversy many years ago so you shouldn't worry about taking them
If prescribed. My ds wouldn't be here today without them. There is also a website called help her.org that is amazingly helpful xx so sorry your suffering op , it's called hyperemesis and it's awful x

Venusflytwat Thu 09-Feb-17 20:55:48

You poor thing.
Get some anti sickness drugs from your GP and get signed off for a week or two. Keep your two year old in her usual childcare and sleep sleep sleep.

DizzyFizzyLizzy Thu 09-Feb-17 21:00:43

Thank you. I just want to cry and keep crying.

Thing is, apart from first thing in the morning I'm not actually being sick. I feel like I'm constantly on the verge of it but because of that I feel like everyone thinks I'm just being a wimp.

Midwife isn't great, she just says "oh, just normal for some people, keep drinking water" but water makes the nausea ten times worse. I try to force it down anyway.

I maybe will make a GP appointment but worried I will cry. I cried at work the other day. I am not a crier.

I'm so worried about being signed off sick. I do to be honest feel like I need it but I feel like my career will suffer even more than it already is. It's all just a mess

JustWantToBeDorisAgain Thu 09-Feb-17 21:14:34

I had almost constant nausea only vomiting once / twice a day ( made worse by stress incidentally) I went to GP and was signed off sick had antiemetic which made my life at least somewhat bearable.
Good luck op

Venusflytwat Thu 09-Feb-17 21:21:00

Vomiting isn't the worst bit. The nausea is the worst bit.
Sweetheart make an emergency GP appt tomorrow and get some cyclizine or similar. You can't go on like this.

justilou Thu 09-Feb-17 21:21:12

Poor you! I feel your pain. Two pregnancies with all day & night sickness. Hyperemisis and several hospital admissions later, I was prescribed zofran which helped enormously. (But I am in Australia so it may have a different name where you are.)

NovemberInDailyFailLand Thu 09-Feb-17 21:23:27

I feel for you. I agree, get signed off and sleep.

Hopefully nobody will come and suggest ruddy ginger!

RosyGold Thu 09-Feb-17 21:29:49

I feel your pain..with my daughter I was constantly nauseous through the whole pregnancy. I left my job at 20 weeks so I didn't have it as tough as you OP. The only relief I had was when I actually threw up, but then that horrible feeling would return 10 minutes later...so hard to eat or drink anything! No advice to give really just want to let you know a lot of us have been there and luckily it doesn't last forever even though it feels like it does!

RedastheRose Thu 09-Feb-17 21:41:59

I felt constantly sick throughout both my pregnancies but like you was only actually sick in the mornings. Drinking ginger beer really helped as did nibbling in dried ginger from the health store. It sounds like an old wives tale but it really helped me. I had to be signed off for a couple of months with my first pregnancy due to sickness and stress (I'm also a lawyer) unfortunately if you are that ill you just have to, my eldest daughter was born really small most probably due to the stress of continuing to work when almost stressed out of my mind.

JonSnowsWhore Thu 09-Feb-17 21:56:24

I'd come on here to write something similar. 22 weeks, still feeling sick every single day, some days being sick, which is an improvement from every single day like before. I have a neurological problem so I have constant headaches & dizziness every single day, my medication for that gives me heartburn which makes me feel even more sick. I've had a lumbar puncture & an attempted lumbar puncture which didn't work while being pregnant so my back still aches from those. I have the beginnings of spd again. My kids seem to be majorly playing up at the moment, 10 year old is being stroppy, refusing to tidy bedroom, huffing when asked to do stuff etc, 3 year old is just generally crap at listening & doing as he's told. The dogs now got arthritis & needs medication & an x ray, I just want to hide away in bed all day with my aches & constant nausea but I have to do 3 school runs at 3 different schools. My son is at nursery, daughter at school, & a family member keeps asking me to pick her son up from another school as she's at work & hasn't sorted any proper childcare.

So I totally sympathise with you & im on the countdown to the end with you! I feel awful but I really do dread the next few months incase it all get worse confused

JonSnowsWhore Thu 09-Feb-17 21:58:45

Oh & dont worry about crying! My OH would think I'd finally lost the plot & gone numb if I didn't cry at least once a day lol. Definitely try & get some medication for the sickness, I had to try 3 different ones before I found one that worked

hoopdeloop Thu 09-Feb-17 22:00:13

Aww poor you, I had horrendous sickness for 26 weeks and some hospital visits/stays. What worked with me was they gave me cyclizine and stemetil and I had to alternate them every 4 hours. I would definitely get to the doctors and see if they can give you something brewflowers

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Thu 09-Feb-17 22:04:14

flowers op, it's shit feeling like that all the time.

I had it with dd up until the day I had her (sorry) and it's the same this time.
Weirdly the only thing that helped was gentle exercise (walking mostly). To begin with it was the last thing I wanted to do (I wanted to curl up and cry/die/sleep) but it helped enormously. Might be worth a go if you don't want medication for any reason?

Don't be afraid to take time off work if you need it.

MamaErmintrude Thu 09-Feb-17 22:08:57

OP come and join us on hyperemesis support thread in Pregnancy smile I'm at 36 weeks and the nausea has never stopped. I'm with you that it's worse than the vomiting. I got signed off (again) at 28 weeks when I burst into tears with my midwife. I tried to keep going for far far too long. It got to the stage where I couldn't sit upright anymore the nausea was so bad. I ended up drinking less and less because it made it worse and it's affected my bump. People simply cannot understand if they haven't been there. It's hell on earth.

RiversrunWoodville Thu 09-Feb-17 22:10:01

Last thing you want is home remedies but water was useless for me too I alternated it with lucozade which actually helped with my nausea and if I sipped it before even opening my eyes in the morning I just about got through. At 28 weeks I also got cyclazine which didn't do much but buccastem did

hickorydickorynurseryrhyme Thu 09-Feb-17 22:13:32

I had terrible sickness with my second which was a huge shock because i didn't first time round.Sick every day for weeks. There were days i really felt i could not cope and I was lucky that I didnt go out to work. Those of you who work with this i don't know how you do it.
Personally I would get signed off sick. Look after yourself and your baby.

DizzyFizzyLizzy Thu 09-Feb-17 22:39:02

Thank you. Sincerely.

I will make a doctors appointment on Monday. I can't power through any more. I don't want anything to happen to the baby and DD needs me to be better sad

MamaErmintrude Fri 10-Feb-17 09:36:37

Really glad to hear it. Bar drugs, rest and staying horizontal is the ONLY thing that helps. On the hyperemesis support thread you'll find loads of suggestions for liquids you might find easier to tolerate; tinned peach juice and ice lollies are two bizarre but often successful options!

TheProblemOfSusan Fri 10-Feb-17 09:50:53

You poor love. Crying is totally OK if it happens - I'm like this, don't tend to cry about personal stuff (kittens on the Internet, yes, but not personal) and then when it's important and someone eg the GP really wants to know how I am I am in floods. Maybe try writing it all down in case you cry and discombobulate yourself?

You should absolutely feel good about getting signed off - it'll help work wise in the long run for you to get sorted out and tell better, then you can tackle the next few months without feeling so poorly.

flowers for you - I hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now