Talk

Advanced search

To ask if you have ever received this type of letter following a smear test

(24 Posts)
Worriedaboutsmear Thu 09-Feb-17 19:16:15

Have nc for this. And sorry to post here but was hoping to reach a larger audience.

I have received a letter advising that the recent smear test I did showed some abnormal cells of "borderline changes" type. They have also advised that I have tested positive for a HPV infection and so I am going to be invited for a colposcopy.

I can see from google that this is common and can be nothing to worry about at this stage but my mind is still wandering. I want that colposcopy appt to come around so quick. Has anybody here had CIN 2 or CIN 3 stages diagnosed after the colposcopy and had to have treatment??

Thank you

RubyWinterstorm Thu 09-Feb-17 19:18:01

I have had borderline changes twice, but then they looked at the cells and said they were normal after all.

lemonzest123 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:18:02

Yah, I've had it loads of times. They just fizz them off and you're good to go. But if it's borderline they may not even do that. Not very pleasant but better than cancer flowers

HyacinthsBucket Thu 09-Feb-17 19:25:16

I had a letter like that when my youngest DD was 3. I'd had a normal smear after her birth. I had a further smear test done at the gynae outpatients within 2 weeks, then around 2 weeks after that a colposcopy then saw the Dr who told me that I had CIN 3 cells and needed urgent treatment. I went back about 2 weeks later and had the cells removed by loop excision. It was uncomfortable and awkward, but never painful. The whole thing from letter to treatment was no more than 6 weeks, and I was terrified but now realise how normal it is as I know so many others who have gone through the same. I had smears every 3 months for 2 years, then went to yearly and now 3 yearly.

zozozoo Thu 09-Feb-17 19:27:05

I had a normal smear after a borderline one (years apart). No treatment inbetween

user1470251314 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:29:52

I'm in the waiting period at the moment after having coloscopy and the results from it. I hope everything is ok for you.

Baffledonthisone Thu 09-Feb-17 19:37:01

Op I had this with my first smear after Dd was born. It felt very scary. I cried, even though the figures are minute.

For personal reasons I struggle with anything intrusive Down There and so I was allowed a general anaesthetic as we agreed I wouldn't be able to stay as still as required for the time required to do the zapping.

It was of course fine, and the half day 'off' in bed, actually sleeping was bliss with a newish baby!

All cleared away, and I'm just back to a normal smear cycle now I think - they were more regular for a few years to keep an eye on things.

Worriedaboutsmear Thu 09-Feb-17 19:38:02

Thank you guys, that's reassuring to hear and glad things have worked out well for you. User, I hope it all goes ok for you but sounds like the odds are in our favour these days. flowers
It was the HPV part that threw me as I know there are proven links between HPV and borderline cells turning into cancer cells but once you read past the headlines, it is actually quite rare

Greta84 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:41:08

I just had my first smear today since Dec 2013! Also I had a baby in between and nobody did a smear after having the baby. I didn't think to chase. I hope you're ok OP.

fishonabicycle Thu 09-Feb-17 19:41:33

Yeah. Had that a few times and had frequent smear tests and a coloscopy twice I think. All fine each time.

capricorn12 Thu 09-Feb-17 19:44:48

I had CIN3 and had a colposcopy with a wire loop excision. This was over 20 years ago, when I was 22 but all my smears have been clear since. It makes me angry to think that if I was 22 now I wouldn't even get a smear test! It was not a nice experience but the worst thing was that no-one told me not to drive myself there so I had to drive home having had a local anaesthetic in the lady bits which was working its way down my legs!

insertsomethingwitty Thu 09-Feb-17 19:44:49

I had CIN 3 18 months ago. If you have borderline changes it is not likely to be CIN 3.

DisneyMillie Thu 09-Feb-17 19:54:15

I had cin3 from smear (so not borderline) - had loop treatment and following a 6 month check back to 3 yearly smears. All smears clear since (3 to date in 6 years). It's scary but very common once you talk to people

TurkeyDinosaurs Thu 09-Feb-17 19:59:42

I had lletz after CIN2 was found. I was told that because I tested negative for hpv I didn't have to go back for 3 years. I'm not gonna lie I found it traumatic so if I have to go through it again I'd want to.go under general.

annlee3817 Thu 09-Feb-17 20:06:29

My friend had borderline changes and was fine, had the colposcopy and was also told she had HPV, she went to the appointment, had some very minor treatment and all was fine. The letter I got had detected CIN2 in the initial smear, I had the abnormal cells removed, I was negative for HPV.

itsnotfair10 Thu 09-Feb-17 20:40:12

I've been through this twice. First time the colposcopy showed hpv infection and they did nothing, just monitored it. 2nd time colposcopy was clear despite initial smear showing hpv.

From what your letter says it won't necessarily mean treatment, although worth noting if you haven't had a colposcopy before that you can get some nasty period type cramps after that aren't too pleasant.

Fingers crossed for you that all is Ok

user1469300540 Thu 09-Feb-17 20:55:19

Literally ha sorry my Colposcopy this morning after the same letter and HPV +.

Nurse said it's incredibly common. Practically every woman will have HPV at some point and our bodies fight it off and more often than not abnormalities in a smear are gone by the time you have your Colposcopy.

Mine was all clear today-nurse told me results there and then.

Try not to worry.

X

Blackbird82 Thu 09-Feb-17 20:59:43

I has CIN3 and they removed the abnormal cells during the colposcopy. This was 4 years ago and so far, all smears have been clear

FrogsLegs31 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:06:20

At 25 I had a letter saying CIN3 and went in for a colposcopy and loop excision two weeks later. Tested negative for HPV and no problems since smile

theSnuffster Thu 09-Feb-17 21:10:04

I had this with my first smear- HPV and cin1. I was terrified. Colposcopy was fine, no pain, no worse than a smear just took a bit longer. They showed me the area of abnormality on the tv screen which was strange! I also had a biopsy at the same time- again not painful. All came back clear, and had smears yearly for a few years, all of which were fine. Back to 3 yearly now.

YellowCrocus Thu 09-Feb-17 21:15:04

Hello! I had a LEEP procedure after finding CIN2 cells and positive HPV. The procedure itself was totally effective, no more changes after three years. The procedure was uncomfortable but not painful. It did make me feel slightly unwell for a few days after, so be prepared to rest up a little. Don't worry. The vast likelihood is that it will all be fine. smile

Blackbird82 Thu 09-Feb-17 21:18:07

Actually can someone answer this question? (sorry to hijack!)

I was under the impression that all cervical abnormalities were caused by HPV. When my smear came back positive, I don't recall them saying I definitely had HPV, only that there were abnormal cells.

After the colposcopy, they had a closer look at the cells they had taken out and said there was no evidence of HPV. My subsequent smears have also tested negative for HPV.

I was under the impression that because HPV is a virus, it cannot be cleared from the body as such and will always be there, even if it's lying dormant. So, if it's dormant, does that mean it can't be detected on a test? I just always wondered if I'd had the HPV virus at some point or whether my abnormal cells were caused by something else entirely?

Worriedaboutsmear Thu 09-Feb-17 22:03:47

Thank you for all of your detailed responses, it's really helped put my mind at ease.

Blackbird - when did you have your smear? They have only recently started testing for HPV so if it was not in the last few years that may be why

SingingSandwich Thu 09-Feb-17 22:48:56

When I had my abnormal smear, I had a phone call from the doctors rather than a letter - they told me I had to book a colposcopy within the week as I had "severe dyskaryosis" (CIN3). I went in and had the LLETZ treatment, which I found horrible, although the doctor didn't help with my experience. They tested for HPV too and it came back negative. I had a follow up smear 6 months later and it was fine. I think I am due my next one very soon.

My sister has just had her colposcopy following a letter that said exactly the same as yours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now