Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Valentine cards for your children?

(190 Posts)
queenoftheknight Thu 09-Feb-17 18:08:42

I saw these for the first time today, and my first thought was that it was a bit weird, in quite a yuk kind of way.

Added to which, if I got my children valentine cards, they would die of terminal embarrassment.

Is this very, VERY weird, or AIBU?

Sparklingbrook Thu 09-Feb-17 18:09:17

Weird I agree. Can't understand that.

gunsandbanjos Thu 09-Feb-17 18:10:15

Why on earth would you get your children a valentine card?

Chillyegg Thu 09-Feb-17 18:10:38

Wtf.........im turning old because i literally just hoiked up my trousers and mumbled whats the world coming to.

Petalbird Thu 09-Feb-17 18:11:59

Extremely weird children should not be involved with valentines

Papergirl1968 Thu 09-Feb-17 18:12:44

Probably an American thing. I think it's not unusual to send friends a Valentine card over the pond. An American friend sent me one once. We are both straight! So no surprise it has spread to children.

Papergirl1968 Thu 09-Feb-17 18:14:34

When my dds were at primary school, I wished the PTA had not chosen to hold a Valentine disco. It just seemed wrong...

queenoftheknight Thu 09-Feb-17 18:15:45

Papergirl,

Like that weird elf thing at Christmas. Though I am not too sure that that did really catch on.

SlaveToDisney Thu 09-Feb-17 18:15:51

My eldest came homw today with a valentines day card adressed to me and his dad. It was very strange that the playgroup were encouraging this.

Greta84 Thu 09-Feb-17 18:16:38

Ahh it's sweet. Just saying I love you to Mummy or dAddy etc

sirfredfredgeorge Thu 09-Feb-17 18:16:48

In many places it's not just a romantic love thing, but all sorts of love. In those places ones for your children are entirely appropriate.

I think it's frigging weird, so I don't do it. Fine for others too if they want to!

originalbiglymavis Thu 09-Feb-17 18:19:28

So they are 'to my kid, love mum's or kiddy friendly ones that you send your own child to kid them that someone in their class has a crush?

Someone I worked with made me a Valentine's card one year. It was a nice card, but very embarrassing (married, absolutely nothing whatsoever going on there!).

LeSquigh Thu 09-Feb-17 18:22:27

My DS would feel very left out if I didn't get him a Valentines card (and chocolates) but my DP (not his dad) did get one. He is 6. He loves it and I will buy him one until he wants me to stop.

arethereanyleftatall Thu 09-Feb-17 18:23:41

I'm ok with this. My dcs are just 6&8 and have asked me what Valentine's Day is about, and I've said 'love'. So, I've bought them something.

GloGirl Thu 09-Feb-17 18:38:55

My Mum has always done this with me, I'm mid-30s. I get why some people think it's weird but for me Valentine's Day is more fun than romantic. I'm with my children and in fact through a Valentine's party for my toddler and his friends one year!

Fingalswave Thu 09-Feb-17 18:42:01

I guess it' wrong then that my teen daughter receives a Valentine's card from our dog every year grin. His paw-writing is surprisingly good too.

nosyupnorth Thu 09-Feb-17 18:44:51

my grandad sends one 'anonymously' to all of the women in the family every year - it's sweet

a parent to an older child might be a bit cringe, but no more so that any other schmaltzy display of affection

Floofborksnootandboop Thu 09-Feb-17 18:46:43

I've always written a valentines card to my kids since they were old enough to read and got them a little cheaply present, just like my mum did for me up until I left home. I still do them cards now and they're 14, 16, 18 and 19. The older 3 even have boy/girlfriends that they get cards from but it's a little tradition for us now so I don't plan on stopping because someone finds it weird "in a yuk kind of way".

They aren't embarrassed by and we've always thought Valentine's Day was a jokey kind of holiday anyway.

Waterfeature Thu 09-Feb-17 18:50:02

Weird, American, excuse for more spending... bah humbug!!

EggsEleven Thu 09-Feb-17 18:54:15

I saw a baby's first valentines card earlier today. It said something along the lines of 'To Daddy - you'll always be my first Valentine'. I contemplated it for a nano second then wished up. DP would be horrified if I bought him that (or bought him anything) from DD.

EggsEleven Thu 09-Feb-17 18:54:47

*wised up not wished!

I wouldn't wish that card on anyone grin

Olecranon Thu 09-Feb-17 19:02:03

My kids are only little but I buy them a card and put a chocolate heart in it. They love it.

OopsDearyMe Thu 09-Feb-17 19:05:47

I think its great, c'mon how many people hate this day !!!! I decided when mine were young to make it LOVE day and encourage it to be more of a day to remember everyone you love, not just in a romantic way. For all those who get missed on mothers and fathers day.

Takes the pressure off and the rejections.

TheAtheist Thu 09-Feb-17 19:10:04

I find it really disturbing that parents/DCs give each other valentines cards now.

Valentines day is about love, but of the Eros variety, not Storge

Ugh at the thought of buying a Valentines card for my DS

Lules Thu 09-Feb-17 19:11:13

I'm in my 30s and my mum did this when I was little. I just liked getting a card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now