Talk

Advanced search

To buy a house in my hometown?

(7 Posts)
perrita Thu 09-Feb-17 17:52:16

Another property one! But I need some advice and I realise this is a very lovely dilemma to have, but still it's one that I do need some perspective on.

DH and I have been saving up to move house from our little two bed terrace for the past 18 months. We currently live in the town we both grew up in, but are considering moving to a nearby city. We would be able to do this probably next year after continuing to save. Our mortgage on our current home is paid off, if that's relevant.

However a house has come up for sale in our home town that is just perfect. It's bigger than anything we could even dream of in the city, big lovely garden, close to parks, an extra bedroom and a cellar and a huge garage. Close to both our families and friends.

The reason I'm doubting myself is because the town I grew up in is not the best to be honest, lots of unemployment, no really nice areas to live, schools aren't great. Currently TTC and worried that I would be the oldest at baby groups etc and not make any new friends, no NCT classes, social lives around here are limited to drinking and football (neither of which we're very fussed about), lack of things for kids, and having kids is a massive thing to me and I want to give them a better life than I had.I hated living here growing up.

But on the other hand, I sometimes wonder if I look at the idea of moving to the city through rose tinted glasses? We could afford to live in a "nice" area near good schools but wouldn't be getting much house for our money. There are lots of things to do with kids, but it doesn't necessarily mean I would make any friends myself.

Don't really feel like I fit in where I live at the moment, but may well feel the same way in a completely new place. Currently TTC but having fertility issues so no guarantee that we'd ever have a baby anyway which makes the idea of both a big house/moving to a city to better our kids lives pointless anyway.

I'm terrible at making decisions and just need some help please! AIBU to ask what you would do in my situation?

Gardencentregroupie Thu 09-Feb-17 17:54:28

I wouldn't buy in your town because

1. You'll hate living there
2. It sounds like it's less desirable than the city, so house prices will rise slower and if you do decide to leave you may find yourself priced out of the city and stuck in the town

DartmoorDoughnut Thu 09-Feb-17 17:54:55

If you don't really feel like you fit in currently then a change may be the making of you flowers

RalphSteadmansEye Thu 09-Feb-17 17:56:23

Location location location. They weren't wrong.

perrita Thu 09-Feb-17 18:03:56

That's what I think sometimes too Dartmoor, but then feel silly for it!

perrita Thu 09-Feb-17 18:06:31

I hadn't really thought of that Garden, but you're right. We've said maybe in ten years we could move to the city then, before any hypothetical kids start secondary school but i have already seen over the past 18 months house prices going up more in The city and tending to be the same here. It would be easier for us to fill that gap now than in the future.

Gardencentregroupie Thu 09-Feb-17 18:09:16

Before you have kids do what suits you. It sounds like taking a punt on moving and experiencing life somewhere a bit different will be really good for you. You can always move back if you hate it. In your shoes I would do city every time. If it's any decent size there will be bars and theatres and sports clubs and night classes and a million other ways to broaden your horizons and have fun.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now