Talk

Advanced search

Back to work after mat leave

(6 Posts)
Tryingtodomybest Thu 09-Feb-17 17:23:32

I went back to my office job a fortnight ago. Went back part time.

My baby is 7 months and being looked after by both sets of grand parents. I have no doubt whatsoever that he's being given the most lovely care by both of them, they play with him loads, take him out, feed him everything i pack up or suggest....he's lucky to have them.

But I just feel so bad leaving him! I feel like he's changed, eating differently, sleeping not as well, and I have so much guilt.

Is it normal to feel like this? I should say, when I'm at work I enjoy it! Miss him a normal amount but it's when I get home and see him and think he's changed and wonder if he's less happy that I get upset and think maybe I should stop work. We could afford it but would obvs impact our lifestyle and I always worry it's risky to give up work altogether.

SalmonFajitas Thu 09-Feb-17 17:39:03

For what it's worth your situation sounds wonderful I'm sure lots of us are jealous. As for your DS he's just adapting. In the long run having a close relationship with his GP's will be wonderful for him. He's being looked after by people who have the time to give him their full attention and love - and he gets lots of time with you too! He sounds like a very lucky boy. It's probably great for you to get your career back. If I could for part time I definitely would and would probably be happier and a better mum for it!

Tryingtodomybest Thu 09-Feb-17 18:02:29

Thanks for saying that. So wrapped up in my situation I hadn't really stopped to consider being lucky to have been allowed to go back part time and have the grandparents x

BellyBean Thu 09-Feb-17 18:38:20

And don't forget that children are constantly developing and changing at this age, so don't assume fussiness or any other behaviour is your fault, it might have happened anyway.

TheSparrowhawk Thu 09-Feb-17 18:43:16

He'll be knackered because of the change - I'm sure his gps are giving him lots of attention and he's worn out. He'll soon get used to it. It is so lovely for him and his gps that they get to spend so much time together and you're lucky to having loving, reliable childcare.

nutbrownhare15 Thu 09-Feb-17 18:45:50

Guilt is part of the mum territory, whatever you decide re work. I think it is natural to miss him, but if you enjoy work too it is hard to know what to do for the best. Time for a really big think I think. Could you go more part time perhaps? Or see if you can take some unpaid leave for a few weeks while you figure it out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now