Talk

Advanced search

Strange stomach cramps/pains

(11 Posts)
intotheabis Thu 09-Feb-17 14:59:49

So for a while now I've been suffering with period type pains, there's no correlation with my period,l

It's started happening more and more and becoming more painful, it's like a pulsing squeezing type pain in my lower abdomen similar to period cramps and slightly reminiscent of contractions, it almost makes me feel queasy when the 'pulsing' is at it's worst, last night I got it quite bad, I didn't eat much of my tea and felt more comfortable curled up on the sofa, today I woke up and it wasn't there but came on after my lunch quite bad again

Sometimes I feel like if I did a poo it would go away but usually I don't need one if that makes sense, I don't think I'm constipated though as I am still pooing.

I've looked up the symptoms and what seems to come up are ibs or ulcers most frequently - does anyone have any experience with these?

My problem is I'm really struggling to get a docs appointment and also it's quite hard to articulate exactly what it feels like.

I've started making a diary of when it's happening so when I finally do get an appointment they can look for patterns etc

If anyone can help shed some light on this? I'm quite worried as I'm inclined to fear the worst in these situations 😕

Also I have a copper coil, I don't think it's anything related but worth mentioning I suppose!

leighb23 Thu 09-Feb-17 15:09:53

Think appt with docs is wise, could be coil related.

SpidersWithBellsOn Thu 09-Feb-17 15:19:15

I had something very similar recently, a couple of weeks after I had my mirena removed (and after I'd finished bleeding from it!). Felt just like period cramps, coupled with gas (which made the pain worse), which I get as part of my IBS. Had to take a half day off atthe worst of it, paracetamol and ibuprofen wouldn't touch it.

Didn't go to the GP and it disappeared after nearly a week. If it had been there more than a week I'd have made noises at the one who removed my mirena.

intotheabis Thu 09-Feb-17 15:19:54

Thanks, as I said I'm really struggling to get an appointment, docs opens at 8am all the appointments are gone before you even manage to get through to them! confused

intotheabis Thu 09-Feb-17 15:30:40

Spiders - I've had my child a few years now so didn't think it could be that but I'm starting to worry it might be

I had a smear a few months ago and she checked it at the time and said it all seemed fine though

gamerchick Thu 09-Feb-17 15:35:58

Maybe you would have more luck at the GUM clinic as a first port of call, It's their area and probably quicker than a gp appointment for ideas and advice to what the problem is. Keep trying for the gp appointment in the meantime.

Talisin Thu 09-Feb-17 15:59:57

I recently - completely out of the blue - became lactose intolerant and had symptons not disimilar to yours. Maybe try avoiding dairy while you wait for a doctors appointment and see if that helps at all.

MrsMoastyToasty Thu 09-Feb-17 16:03:30

Keep a food diary to see if you have developed an intolerance to something

Ifonlyiweretaller Thu 09-Feb-17 16:46:24

My similar symptoms turned out to be acute diverticulitis. Doc first thought IBS but blood test showed a major infection so antibiotics were prescribed. It took 12 days for me to start feeling better.

I have been sent for a scan and am now due for a colonoscopy (cant wait for that!) to see if the diagnosis was correct.

Hope you soon start feeling better Into...

intotheabis Thu 09-Feb-17 16:59:56

I've managed to get myself an appointment for Wednesday, not ideal but better than nothing!

Honestly there is no wonder there's a crisis at a and e, it's almost impossible to get a docs appointment round here and we have no walk in clinic, there comes a point where you just have to be seen by someone!

I've noticed when it first comes on it's almost constant, then as the hours go on it gets more 'pulsey' and more intense but not constant.

I also am off my food when I have it and have a feeling of fullness

I'm quite anxious about my health and my fear is that the symptoms are so general and cover a wide range of things that I might be misdiagnosed with something or I won't describe my symptoms properly or use the right words

Ifonlyiweretaller Thu 09-Feb-17 18:02:32

If you're not feeling any better tomorrow then I would phone the docs and ask to be seen on the day! I always phone mid morning rather than at 8am when everyone else is phoning and receptionists are probably tearing their hair out...and I sort of go for the sympathy vote. Explain in a pained voice just how dreadful I'm feeling etc. but be really nice to them too. It always seems to work for me!
Maybe look up the symptoms of diverticulitis and even suggest it to them? It may just send them down a route they hadn't thought of. If your pain is anywhere near as bad as mine was their's no way I'd be waiting until next blooming Wednesday!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now