Talk

Advanced search

To want permanent curls in my hair?

(6 Posts)
ApproachingATunnel Thu 09-Feb-17 11:39:03

I have long, fine straight hair and bored of it! What are your experiences with getting yours curled, is the care difficult/expensive? How damaging is it for the hair?

hennybeans Thu 09-Feb-17 15:21:02

I assume you are talking about a perm? I would love to have curly hair too and have often considered a perm, but they just don't turn out looking like natural curls. Too tight. I last had a perm in 2003 and I sort of liked it, but most of my honest friends said it looked better before. It probably looked better after six months or so when it relaxed quite a bit.
I've looked into digital perms as well but the cons are: expensive, not available many places, can damage hair, need a certain type of hair to work best. Worth having a Google about them though because it might suit you.

FireInTheHead Thu 09-Feb-17 15:53:28

I'm sure perms are better and less chemically harsh than they were when I ruined my life had one back in the early 80s hoping for a lovely loose corkscrew effect but your hair sounds like mine and if it has the slightest tendency to frizz in humid conditions I'd say don't be a fool! do it! Mine was mid length and looked like I'd stuck my fingers in a socket resulting in just one huge frizzball sticking out from my head - a 'friend' nicknamed me Crystal Tips, as soon as she'd managed to stop laughing that is. I'll never tell where I hid the body
After 3 weeks of gelling it as flat as I could and scraping it back into a facelift ponytail (which was more a giant cheerleading Pom of burned straw-colored fluff stuck at the base of my skull than an actual 'tail') in the hopes it would eventually settle, I gave up. I had it cut and layered to about 1 1/2 inch length all over. All my lovely long hair - gone! Waaaah!

Robstersgirl Thu 09-Feb-17 16:22:23

Get a Curl Secret so quick!

FairyDogMother11 Thu 09-Feb-17 17:09:24

My hair is naturally curly and I honestly wouldn't recommend except for special occasions. That's the only time my curls come in handy grin

Willow2016 Thu 09-Feb-17 18:32:37

I spent a fortune in the 80s having perms and spiral perms. I love curly hair. We always want what we don't have🤔 spent years dying my hair auburn /red but my friend dyed her glorious auburn hair Brown or black! Might think about getting a perm now bet they don't smell as much😅

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now