Talk

Advanced search

To think my primary school child doesn't need a 'valentine's party' at school?

(37 Posts)
AppleSkies Wed 08-Feb-17 23:53:29

DS is in yr 5.

There's a couple of yr 5/6 discos that is fine by me and Christmas parties, etc.

However, there's a valentines disco/party coming up and tells child to bring a gift 'for someone special' who you will be able to give anonymously to...

Am I being precious? Do most primaries do something similar??

AlmostAJillSandwich Wed 08-Feb-17 23:56:37

I remember my primary did this when i was in year 6, no anonymous present giving though, just a regular disco type thing.
In some ways its quite innocently cute, at that age they're just starting to actually like the opposite sex and its a bit of well supervised harmless fun.

5OBalesofHay Wed 08-Feb-17 23:57:00

Bit wierd

5OBalesofHay Wed 08-Feb-17 23:57:46

Did I spell that right? Looks odd.

AppleSkies Thu 09-Feb-17 00:00:12

Almost not always the opposite sex! I feel sorry for the children who are homosexual, I appreciate I'm thinking too much into it, but it's very much focused on boys give to girls and girls give to boys (even received a nice 'present ideas' and DS got one that's aimed at the girls...)

It's all a bit odd imo

Katy07 Thu 09-Feb-17 11:04:12

Weird.
The spelling (but only because you asked) and the idea. It sounds like the sort of thing where some (popular) kids end up with loads of cards / presents etc. and some end up with nothing and feel like crap.

LottieDoubtie Thu 09-Feb-17 11:05:14

yep odd. poorly thought through excuse for a PTA fundraiser perhaps?

livingthegoodlife Thu 09-Feb-17 11:14:30

I think valentine's disco is fine and it's fun to have a themed event. I think the present giving is weird and unnecessary and likely to cause upset. Just too many factors to go wrong (expense of gift, recipient, someone didn't get one etc)

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Thu 09-Feb-17 11:17:30

When I was at school ( going back a few years) we always had a disco for valentines and I don't see an issue with that at all! I do think the bring a present is a bit I'd though

HolesinTheSoles Thu 09-Feb-17 11:17:45

Like PP I think the disco would be fine - pushing the present giving is totally unnecessary and just likely to cause problems.

x2boys Thu 09-Feb-17 11:18:16

you can imagine cant you all the popular kids getting loads of gifts and the less popular very shy kids [i,m thinking of my yr 5 son here] getting none so yet again the popular kids have their ego,s boosted and the less popular kids feel like shit??

x2boys Thu 09-Feb-17 11:19:29

xpost Katy07

Pinkheart5915 Thu 09-Feb-17 11:20:53

Valentines disco absolutely fine, we had them when I was at school and the only diffrence to a christmas/Easter/summer disco was a few red balloons, cut out hearts and red heart jelly sweets.

The bring a present is odd though, some child will end up with none while another gets 10. It's kind of saying let's see who is most popular/pretty

Bloopbleep Thu 09-Feb-17 11:22:14

Dd's school have a valentines disco from p1 but there is no facility to swap cards or gifts.

I actually think it's an unfair practice as the popular kids will get loads and the less popular and quiet kids will get nothing. This may be more to do with my own experience of being the invisible/ugly kid in school and watching every year as the in school anon valentines post was handed out and I never once got a card.

LastnightaDJ Thu 09-Feb-17 11:25:59

Hate it. And all this shit about "xxx is your girlfriend / boyfriend!". THEY ARE 5 YEARS OLD FFFS!!!! THEY ARE CHILDREN!!!

Vagndidit Thu 09-Feb-17 11:32:49

Probably not the best example, but Valentine's Day is a popular kid event in the US. Classes exchange cutesy cards (a bit like Christmas card exchanges before Christmas), people bring in cakes and sweets and it's good innocent fun. As long as it's well-supervised and nobody is excluded, it can be fun.

I look back fondly on memories of class parties from my own school days. Ds goes to a "healthy school" so no fun allowed ;)

MyHairNeedsASnip Thu 09-Feb-17 11:33:10

lastnight that drives me bonkers. I hate it when people ask my 5 year old if she's got a boyfriend. She doesn't even know what they mean it's so far off her radar.

MaryTheCanary Thu 09-Feb-17 11:35:50

I think it's a bit inappropriate, and it just seems like a bit of a waste of valuable school time. Don't they have something better to be doing?

HateSummer Thu 09-Feb-17 11:35:54

Sounds crap imo. We used to make cards and some kind of sweet treat to take home for parents back in the 90's. Now they don't do anything for valentines in my dd's school. Not even cards. Good job too. It's crap.

x2boys Thu 09-Feb-17 11:38:46

Lastnight i think the kids are yr 5 so 9/10 ?

BlueFolly Thu 09-Feb-17 11:40:05

The present thing is wrong, definitely.

LastnightaDJ Thu 09-Feb-17 11:41:24

X2 - I know, that's still too young I feel. But I have heard such comments about my own five year old!

HelenaWay Thu 09-Feb-17 11:42:59

They're not 5, they're in year 5.

x2boys Thu 09-Feb-17 11:47:07

oh right sorry yeah i agree though too young, not for the actual disco but exchanging cards and presents is cringey and does nothing for the less popular kids.

PolarBearGoingSomewhere Thu 09-Feb-17 11:48:16

Our DD's school have a disco at the end of each half term. She is in Rexeption but went to them in nursery too. Because of how the half terms fall the themes are Halloween, Christmas, Valentines, Easter, May Ball and Graduation. I think it's lovely; 4.30-6, kids come home exhausted and happy, good excuse to dig out the party dress. It's inclusive and gives each kid the chance to attend a few parties even if they don't get invited to many individual ones. The "theme" only seems to dictate the decorations of the hall and the shape of the cookies.

The present giving is not great imo and totally unnecessary.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now