Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think there is nothing you can usefully store on top of kitchen cupboards?

(89 Posts)
NotACompleterFinis Wed 08-Feb-17 22:18:12

I have a huge gap between top of kitchen cupboards and the ceiling. But I can't use it. I have scoured Pinterest for ideas but I know that anything I put up there will just get greasy and dusty. Or am I just grubby. Does anyone usefully store anything in that space without it getting grimy?

Justmuddlingalong Wed 08-Feb-17 22:19:45

I store a thin layer of dust on mine. But even that gets a bit grimy after a while.wink

Montezumasrevenge Wed 08-Feb-17 22:20:42

Back in the day folk would put hops to dry there.
I'm talking 80's and fake drying hops though.

Fishcakey Wed 08-Feb-17 22:21:37

My pans and recipe books are up there.

Elphame Wed 08-Feb-17 22:21:56

I store a couple of sheets of newspaper on top of the kithen cupboards. When they get dusty and greasy I throw them away and store some more clean paper up there

ScarletForYa Wed 08-Feb-17 22:22:43

Plants, big pots. Secret chocolate.

dalmatianmad Wed 08-Feb-17 22:22:45

Recipe books, they get a but grim and I have to wipe them though.....

Motherwithflaws Wed 08-Feb-17 22:24:07

I've got extra cupboards that go up to the ceiling (copied from pinterest) and they're fab for storing random things that rarely get used.

Llamacorn Wed 08-Feb-17 22:24:29

I have baskets and a couple of decorative items on mine.
They never get grimy, just a quick wipe when I do my weekly deep clean keeps on top of it.

AppleAndBlackberry Wed 08-Feb-17 22:24:32

Turkey foil! Also random bits of plastic that came with the fridge.

NannyR Wed 08-Feb-17 22:24:36

It's a real waste of space. I've toyed with the idea of keeping cake tins and other bulky, rarely used things, but like you say, it gets dusty and greasy.
When I replace my kitchen in a few years, I'm having cupboards that go right to the ceiling.

AppleAndBlackberry Wed 08-Feb-17 22:26:06

(so no not really...)

QueenCarpetJewels Wed 08-Feb-17 22:27:59

I only have something on top of one cupboard that that goes to within 6 inches of the ceiling. It's a piece of worktop that has to be put back in place when we move out (it was removable in order to fit a fridge freezer in the space where it was). It's been up there 9 years during which time it's only been touched by the cat who is able to stand on top of the fridge freezer on his back legs and look up there with his front paws on the piece of worktop. So I expect the space is also storing plenty of dust and some paw prints.

treaclesoda Wed 08-Feb-17 22:28:05

I got a new kitchen a few years ago and I bitterly regret that I didn't get the cupboards built right up to the ceiling. Even if the very top bits were actually fake cupboards, it would still be better than a layer of dirt and grease.

QueenCarpetJewels Wed 08-Feb-17 22:29:40

(um... so also no)

NarkyMcDinkyChops Wed 08-Feb-17 22:29:40

We put large boxes of cereal up there as we buy in bulk when on offer. Also I hide crisps up there in a vain attempt to not eat them.

Oysterbabe Wed 08-Feb-17 22:30:52

Big jars of stuff I'm pickling.

PerfectlyPosed Wed 08-Feb-17 22:32:00

Ice cream maker, nice champagne glasses (in a box), perfect prep machine and anything I couldn't find a space for elsewhere. Dread to think what state it's all in, though.

Man10 Wed 08-Feb-17 22:32:29

My cupboards go all the way up to the ceiling. (Not that high as it's a modern flat.) I keep a small stepladder handy as it's the only way to reach stuff on the top couple of shelves.

It's a U-shaped kitchen and the only place I can see any of the three walls is between the worktop and the overhanging cupboards.

Sgtmajormummy Wed 08-Feb-17 22:33:18

In my large gap I have covered cardboard boxes which contain out of season equipment like ice cream maker, lolly moulds, Easter Bunny cake tin, you get the idea. I just get them down when necessary and they don't look cluttered or grimy.

honeylulu Wed 08-Feb-17 22:33:45

The kids sweetie tins and the biscuit tin - they can't reach them!
Also spare kitchen rolls (tend to stock up at Costco and get loads).
Some spare shoe boxes - I am gradually Marie Kondo-ing the insides of the cupboards and using the boxes to segregate stuff so it's useful to have a few to hand.
Big box with its own sections and clear lid which contains seasonal type items only occassionally used like birthday cake candles, cookie cutters, pumpkin carvers etc.
That's about it.

gobbin Wed 08-Feb-17 22:34:23

Cat bed...plus cat! He loves surveying from on high, as does another of ours who loves to sleep on top of the (cupboard-concealed) boiler!

DramaAlpaca Wed 08-Feb-17 22:35:51

The cat likes to leap up there & survey the kitchen from a height. He has to spend ages afterwards cleaning the dust & grease from his paws.

I've a few decorative plates and jugs up there, but I hate the grease & grime they get covered in.

WendlaBergmann Wed 08-Feb-17 22:37:41

Sloe and Damson gin at the moment. And dust. blush

ph0ebe Wed 08-Feb-17 22:37:53

I store my wrapping paper up there. Also used parcel packets grin
Barely used champagne glasses Ina nice box, mine has a lip so you can't see the wrapping paper or parcels
Do you have a collection of tins (like me) they might look ok up there?
Fake flowers?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now