Talk

Advanced search

To refuse to have surgery performed by consultant who suggested my pain from Essure is made up

(15 Posts)
elliemillie Wed 08-Feb-17 22:16:01

Long story short. I have been battling with horrid side effects from Essure and finally complained to PALS after being told the only option was the pain clinic.

My complaint got me an appointment with the consultant who fitted the Essure. He told me that women were making the symptoms up because they wanted money from a lawsuit against Bayer. Especially in the states.

I told him that I was just in so much pain and compensation from Bayer was not in the picture for me at all. In fact it had never occured to me. He also said he had never done this surgery before but also said i didnt have to worry about it.

I have been put on the waiting list but I am worried. Women who had this done wrongly have had to have further surgery to correct the effects.

I also Googled him and he wrote a paper where he declared that he received payments from Bayer. That explains his comments about women lying in my opinion.

I really don't want this man to touch me but I don't know how to stop it or tell my GP I would prefer a different doctor. What should I do? He is a well respected ob gynae and I feel it is my word against his.

Juveniledelinquent Wed 08-Feb-17 22:20:07

You can choose to be referred to a different hospital. You do not have to be operated on by this man.

Gooseygoosey12345 Wed 08-Feb-17 22:20:50

If you don't feel confident in him then ask to be referred elsewhere. You can pick a different hospital. My DM just had to do this for a shoulder injury and her original doctor/surgeon sounded like this one. She changed hers, had to travel to Oxford but it was totally worth it

elliemillie Wed 08-Feb-17 22:26:41

Relieved to hear I can change. Do I just go to my GP and ask for a change? I am not sure how to go about it.....

terrylene Wed 08-Feb-17 22:28:36

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/910.aspx?CategoryID=68

Ask for a second opinion.

RedBugMug Wed 08-Feb-17 22:30:24

you can report the side effects yourself to the yellow card scheme

yanbu, what a prick

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Wed 08-Feb-17 22:31:51

You can request to see a different Consultant at same hospital for a second opinion by writing to the hospital, or ask your GP to refer you to a completely different hospital.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 08-Feb-17 22:43:48

Even their own essure website talks about how some women have ongoing pain.

5OBalesofHay Wed 08-Feb-17 22:46:11

Go privately and see who you choose.

Allthewaves Wed 08-Feb-17 23:44:34

is he taking it out and steralising you the old fashioned way?

elliemillie Thu 09-Feb-17 11:18:48

Possum when I pointed that out he said Bayer were just trying to avoid lawsuits so have put those symptoms there as a legal requirement.

elliemillie Thu 09-Feb-17 11:20:27

Allthewaves he doesn't have to sterilise me the old fashioned way. Essure is pretty permanent so you can't reverse it or take it out. He is going to cut out my fallopian tubes and a bit of my uterus.

SingingInTheRainstorm Thu 09-Feb-17 11:23:49

Never even heard of Essure. Is the idea that your tubes are blocked by the inserts, then there's growth around them that effectively blocks your tubes?
It sounds a bit odd as doesn't that put you at risk of an ectopic pregnancy?

elliemillie Thu 09-Feb-17 11:30:53

Yes Singing that is the idea. Copper inserts are put in your fallopian tubes and it causes and inflammation that produces scar tissue to grow round the inserts and block the tubes. There is a risk of ectopic pregnancy but there are also a lot of women with Essure who have become pregnant afterwards and had full term babies. Others have lost the babies because the part of the coil that stays in the uterus has punctured the amniotic sac.

MichaelSheensNextDW Thu 09-Feb-17 11:37:58

His assertions to you that you're a. making it up and b. planning on trying for compensation are shock
www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/30413.asp

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now