Talk

Advanced search

To be shocked at casual open racism

(120 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

WanderingFairy Wed 08-Feb-17 19:31:12

Our having quiet dinner and some precious me time whilst DH spends bonding evening with DS. Greying couple in their 60s sitting next to me discussing all sorts of topics. Elderly gentleman makes casual disparaging comment about Muslims then brushes it over and starts talking about something else.

I'm shocked and saddened that racism is so acceptable and commonplace now. All muslims are evil, backwards etc and it's fine to make sweeping statements about an entire community. Has it come to this that we are so openly hostile and hateful?

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 08-Feb-17 19:33:29

Unfortunately the voices of SOME Brexit leavers and SOME Trump supporters are now no longer afraid to say what they think out loud as it has become "normalised".

If I hear or see anything on my social media I will call people out. Even my Ohio based Trump voting mother who seems to think that muslims/refugees/terrorists are interchangeable terms!!!

JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:38:48

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

JenniferYellowHat1980 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:39:22

not have

WanderingFairy Wed 08-Feb-17 19:47:35

Oh God the man next to me has now started about the Germans!

user892 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:56:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

user892 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:57:52

Actually, not sure how 'casual' my examples are!

ArmySal Wed 08-Feb-17 20:00:34

Has it come to this that we are so openly hostile and hateful?

We?! Some people, from all countries, different colours, different religions, are racist stereotypers. You get dickheads in all walks of life.

Between4and30characters Wed 08-Feb-17 20:05:03

2 minutes for a reply mentioning Brexit. Good to see you're really concerned about fighting racism allthebest and not just wanting to stoke up a bit more anti-leaver hatred.

Between4and30characters Wed 08-Feb-17 20:06:28

And yes, OP, I'm seeing a lot more open hostility and hatred in this country.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 08-Feb-17 20:06:48

Unfortunately the voices of SOME Brexit leavers and SOME Trump supporters are now no longer afraid to say what they think out loud as it has become "normalised".

You know how they voted and that they are Trump supporters then? Wow.

LaContessaDiPlump Wed 08-Feb-17 20:07:31

My good friend at uni once said 'He's short-changed me! Thieving Arab!' She apologised once I pointed out that I was half Syrian though hmm tbf I think she honestly hadn't registered the racism.

Others have, and use it intentionally. Sad times.

Jayfee Wed 08-Feb-17 20:08:51

wouldnt a fly on the wall documentary in homes from dfferent cultures be interesting. I think Armysal is spot on.

WorraLiberty Wed 08-Feb-17 20:09:14

The man starting on about the Germans. Is he the same 'elderly greying man in his 60s', or a different one?

Racism is no more acceptable and commonplace now, than it was in the past.

Sadly, it's not a particularly new thing, so yes YABU to sound so shocked about it really.

Scrumple Wed 08-Feb-17 20:11:15

Sorry for being pedantic, but it's not technically racism as Islam isn't a race. Not quite sure what the term is though ... bigot?

But i completely agree about how some things are said so openly. I was in a taxi earlier and for the whole 15 minute journey the driver was going on and on about Brexit and how happy he was that those foreigners can't come here anymore to steal his houses and his jobs. Then finished by telling me he's retiring soon and planning to move to Spain with his wife!

Most of the people i've encountered who spout such rubbish are seriously narrow minded, lacking in intelligence, empathy and imagination.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Wed 08-Feb-17 20:12:26

Bigots come in all shapes and sizes.

limitedperiodonly Wed 08-Feb-17 20:12:30

Are you going to challenge them or are you posting on MN for approval OP?

Go on, give it a go. As they're greying, I don't imagine they'd be that much of a threat.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 08-Feb-17 20:21:27

I'm not sure I like the idea of a greying man in his 60's being called 'elderly'. Isn't that ageism OP?

WanderingFairy Wed 08-Feb-17 21:51:17

Errrr elderly is not abusive nor ageist - it's an observation

WanderingFairy Wed 08-Feb-17 21:52:55

We live in a free country where people can say whatever they like so no I'm not going to ruin my relaxing precious me time by having a debate with a stranger

Ankleswingers Wed 08-Feb-17 21:54:43

I tend to agree with WorraLiberty on this.

SalemSaberhagen Wed 08-Feb-17 21:57:37

MN isn't your best audience for this. Racism doesn't exist according to some posters.

YANBU OP.

ForalltheSaints Wed 08-Feb-17 21:58:53

To the person who has a GP as an ex-relative who uses racist language- if you have any evidence which would support this as being in public, then a complaint should be made.

Between4and30characters Wed 08-Feb-17 21:59:11

I'm not going to ruin my relaxing precious me time by having a debate with a stranger

Actually, that is what you are doing grin

MongerTruffle Wed 08-Feb-17 21:59:46

Sorry for being pedantic, but it's not technically racism as Islam isn't a race. Not quite sure what the term is though ... bigot?

Scientists established a while ago that there is no such thing as a race (in the traditional meaning).

www.huffingtonpost.com/craig-considine/muslims-are-not-a-race_b_8591660.html

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now