Talk

Advanced search

to hate living in Coventry?

(226 Posts)
Destinysdaughter Wed 08-Feb-17 18:36:30

Inspired by the I hate living in Manchester thread, I lived in London for many years but moved back here as I had been made redundant and my dad had severe dementia and was going blind so I moved back home to look after him. He's now in a home because after 2 years, I couldn't cope with it any more. So I'm now living in a city I really do not enjoy being in. I find many people to be both narrow minded and overtly racist, there's virtually nothing going on artistically or culturally, the bars and restaurants are shit and its just dull dull dull. I feel like I'm just biding my time waiting to die here.

I miss London so much but I could never afford to live there now as its got so ridiculously expensive. I used to go back a lot but I've stopped as it made me feel too depressed. The job opportunities are v poor here in comparison ( used to work as a trainer for a charity ) and am struggling to find any meaningful, well paid work. Final moan, there's a real lack of decent, interesting, cultured men up here, so haven't met many guys on my wavelength. In London I dated men who were journalists, lawyers, architects, writers etc but up here most pp seem to work in the motor industry and I just have nothing in common with them!

Only good things about being here is that drinks are cheaper, air is cleaner and its an easy city to get out of!

Topseyt Wed 08-Feb-17 18:48:56

I was a student in Coventry in the eighties. I wasn't wildly keen on it as a city to live in, but you are only about an hour (if that) out of London on an intercity train.

Birmingham is no distance either and the transport connections are good.

weaselwords Wed 08-Feb-17 18:52:21

The ring road shock

Move to Birmingham. You will be so much happier.

Slippersandacuppa Wed 08-Feb-17 18:55:16

I hear you. I've never actually lived there but we aren't far. I only venture in to go to IKEA. Could you move somewhere slightly smaller like Solihull? Still loads going on, not far from Warwick arts centre and Stratford/Warwick/Leam? Loads of charities around and plenty of hobby-type clubs everywhere? Good luck

beela Wed 08-Feb-17 18:55:50

Ah, the ring road is fine once you get used to it!

barinatxe Wed 08-Feb-17 18:56:57

Haven't lived there for 15 years, but I remember seeing the comedian Stewart Lee there who pointed out the council's official website highlighted the best things about Coventry were its road and rail links, the proximity of Birmingham and the ease of direct trains to London.

Ways to leave the damned place, in other words.

Andrewofgg Wed 08-Feb-17 18:58:42

Exactly - it looks good in the rear-view mirror.

Alconleigh Wed 08-Feb-17 19:00:36

Ah the town of my birth. It is fairly bleak. Actually grew up in Leam though, which is a different kettle of fish.

CovtilIdie Wed 08-Feb-17 19:01:40

Haters gonna hate...

Glastonbury Wed 08-Feb-17 19:02:33

It's a fantastic city to live in. You are obviously very narrow minded. I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Nothing wrong with the ring road if you read the signs.

CovtilIdie Wed 08-Feb-17 19:03:33

Always wanted to use that saying!!

I enclose a list of awesome venues for your delectation

The Tin
Drapers
Fargo Village
Twisted Barrell
The Town Crier
Ego Performance Company
Imagineer
Godiva Festival
Rising Peace Festival
Motofest
Transport Museum
The Herbert
The Windmill
Catch 22
The Quadrant Club
Inspire
Coventry Cathedral
The Rising Cafe
The Empire
Lunt Roman Fort
Coventry Sports Centre
Kasbah
Jumping Jaks
Bayley Lane
The Establishment
The Golden Cross
The Phoenix
The Aardvark
The Townwall Tavern
The Gatehouse Tavern
The Belgrade
Warwick Arts Centre
Ludic Rooms
Highly Sprung
Talking Birds
West Orchards
Central Six
Warwickshire Retail Park
The Albany Pub
The Albany Club
The Criterion
The Ricoh
The Box
The Broomfield
Craven Street run
The Holyhead
Rialto Reborn
Priory Row
St Mary's Guildhall
Charterhouse
St Finnbarrs
The Canal Basin
Electric Wharf
Skydome

And these are just the ones I like!!

* Head tilt* Are you really trying to settle in or are you too busy looking backwards? wink

chocdonutyy Wed 08-Feb-17 19:05:09

I lived there all my life until I was 19, hated the place tbh, yes there's plenty of stuff to do but it's just a city that seems tired and dull to me, I've gone back to see friends and ikea of course but never stay long at all.

Blotchetta Wed 08-Feb-17 19:05:50

I'm going through a similar thing I think it's called relocation depression! I moved from a town I lived in for 11 years to a new borough about 8 months ago and I had no idea I'd feel this 'homesick ' and sad.
I went recently to my old town for a birthday party and as I was getting out of train station I got so emotional to be there.
I think I'm attached to it because I had quite a few happy years there and some great memories.
It can take a long time to adjust to new places and people, starting over. Especially if you are over 30.
Anyway, we are going to give it a go for a year and if I'm still this miserable- we're going back !
You gotta be where your heart is 🙂

CovtilIdie Wed 08-Feb-17 19:06:15

Glastonbury, old Coventrian by any chance?

IFartGlitter Wed 08-Feb-17 19:09:25

I was born there, I moved to Warwick 8 years ago. I hated growing up there and even though I only moved a few miles away, the difference was massive. I still have family there and whenever I get to the end of the A46 and see the 'Welcome To Coventry' sign, my heart sinks. I would never move back.

I only go to visit family or whenever I need to torture my husband by dragging him round IKEA. The ringroad is horrible, suicide island is still a nightmare despite the years of 'improvements' the night life is dire, and I'm thankful that my children don't have to grow up there.

Warwick/Leamington/Solihull aren't that far from you. Much nicer areas to live, better schools and so much more in terms of decent restaurants and nightlife.

BuggertheTabloids Wed 08-Feb-17 19:10:18

Move to Leamington or Warwick. More expensive housing though but then there's a good reason for that as the are nicer places to live!

Leviticus Wed 08-Feb-17 19:12:36

YANBU. It's a universally accepted fact that Cov is shit.

RaskolnikovsGarret Wed 08-Feb-17 19:14:54

Went there once, DH got severe food poisoning from dodgy prawns, never been back. The shopping centre was so depressing. But there must be nice bits too I guess.

blamethecat Wed 08-Feb-17 19:15:57

I have worked there over 10 years, I don't drive yet I still don't live there...

crunched Wed 08-Feb-17 19:24:32

YABU
Warwick Uni - which is in Coventry in case any none locals read this- employs some of the most impressive minds of our time - theatre, gallery, art house cinema all open to everyone.
The RSC is a world class institution, as well as the obvious theatre stuff there are amazingly interesting lectures etc. This is maybe 20 mins from Cov.
In the city itself The Herbert Gallery, Coventry Uni, the history societies, the cathedrals...
I hail from the south, worked in London for 10 years, and love it here, I am about 20 mins from Cov,near Leamington and Warwick both of which are beautiful.
I believe that Coventry won a competition for the friendliest locals but may have made that up because I am always telling people off for putting the city down.
Sorry you find people working in the motor industry lacking in decency and culture. Can't say I have found that ...

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 08-Feb-17 19:28:02

Ooh Topseyt, Dog and Trumpet, Biko Bar, Tuesday night's in that place with fake rock walls?

emwithme Wed 08-Feb-17 19:33:52

The Ring Road is excellent - IF PEOPLE USE IT CORRECTLY. Remember to stay in the outside lane (marked "all other traffic") unless you've just come on - in which case, move over asap - or are leaving at the next exit. although I'm sad enough to know that there is one exit that is an exception to the rule, anti-clockwise to Foleshill, you need to be in the inner lane to continue

My driving instructor took me on it at 4 pm on my third ever driving lesson. I have never been so scared in my life, but now I love it (and want to transplant it to everywhere I have ever lived, particularly Bristol)

I've been out of Coventry now for 13 years. I never thought I'd want to move back, and then DH went for an interview somewhere where it would be a do-able commute from Coventry (if we lived Finham/Styvechale side) and now all I can think about is moving back (and he didn't get the job)

beela Wed 08-Feb-17 19:43:07

Covtilldie I'm an old CoventrIan grin

I don't live in Cov but I do live nearby and have just discovered the Rising Cafe from your list.... it's my new favourite cafe! Amazing.

WhooooAmI24601 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:57:11

We're not far from Cov (Warwick way) and I love IKEA, the ice rink and . When we first moved here friends of mine lived there (still do, but no more nights out at Jumpin' Jaks and Scolars with their sticky floors) and we had so many fabulous nights out there. As an adult, though, I don't go 'out out' there because it's just far too young now (last time we went to Browns for a meal a young lad tried to buy me a drink at the bar, he was asked for ID and couldn't provide it. I'm 35. Literally old enough to have parented him. Shameful).

The theatres are great, too. Our DCs go every year to the pant at the Belgrade with MIL and it is invariably brilliant.

Sparkletastic Wed 08-Feb-17 19:57:39

Ahhh lovely Cov. Is Silver's and The Courtyard still there? What about Browns in the precinct?? 'Posh' food for special nights out! What was the brilliant independent record shop called?

early 90s Warwick student who loved Cov...

So much more fun than Leamington and way better for gigs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now