Talk

Advanced search

To block my mother on whatsapp?

(11 Posts)
WanderingNotLost Wed 08-Feb-17 17:52:09

My Mum is hard bloody work. She has anxiety depression, is possibly bipolar, and my counsellor thinks she might also have narcissistic personality disorder (although admittedly she's only got what I've told her to go on). She gets very pissed off with me if I don't respond to her text messages as quickly as she wants me to (sometimes I'm too busy, sometimes I forget, sometimes I simply can't be arsed because it always ends up being a long-winded conversation. A simple one-message exchange is never enough) and has taken to sending them on whatsapp as well so that she can see when I've been online and when I've read them. So yesterday it was "oh, I see you've been online but you can't be bothered to read my messages" and then "oh so you've read them but can't be bothered to reply". I feel like I'm being spied on! WIBU to just block her, and only reply to messages when I'm good and ready??

NoCleanClothes Wed 08-Feb-17 17:54:37

YANBU that would drive me mad. I'd probably develop some stock response for when she harasses you about replying quickly, something like "I have a busy life and will reply when I'm ready" don't get into why, you don't have to justify yourself to her (and no doubt she'd just say "aaaah so XYZ is more important than me then")

MiniCooperLover Wed 08-Feb-17 17:54:44

I don't think you need to block her, I think you can change your settings so she doesn't know you've been online?

c3pu Wed 08-Feb-17 17:57:19

I don't think you need to block her, I think you can change your settings so she doesn't know you've been online?

You can turn off your last seen setting, but that means you can't see when anyone else was online either.

WienerDiva Wed 08-Feb-17 17:58:08

It's settings - account - privacy - last seen - change to nobody

Saves blocking her but she'll be able to see when you are "online", using it basically. So if she is spying on you she may still question you.

I'd try the "I have a busy life. I'll get back to you when its convenient to me" line.

Notanotherpawpatrol Wed 08-Feb-17 17:58:09

Yanbu, my sil does this and it drives me crazy! Every message she sends she expects a reply within minutes and then it's the whole, I know you've seen my message thing hmm if I could block her I would.
Do it.

wonderingsoul Wed 08-Feb-17 18:00:17

I was just about to come on and start a thread to say how whats app is the work off the devil.

My boyfiend and i use this to talk. But today iv sent him messages and i can see hes online.. off onlime then back online with out even reading my messages.
I wish it disnt have the online thing.. i know i am being unreasonable and he doesnt have to reply straigjt away but it stings that he doesnt when he got times.

Work off the devil i tell you.

I would turn iff the onlime facility .. unless your like me and itd still wind you up cos you know you can check.

WanderingNotLost Wed 08-Feb-17 18:20:51

That's the thing, I'm in a few groups where it does come in handy to know when people have read what you've sent (not for the same reasons though) so I can't really change my settings.

bonfireheart Wed 08-Feb-17 19:05:47

Instead of turning off the "last online" feature I would just "mute conversation" on your mums messages. That way she can send them to you and you can check them when you want to.

SmileEachDay Wed 08-Feb-17 19:10:20

I would just ignore the PA messages and respond when it suits you. They don't require an answer.

EnormousTiger Wed 08-Feb-17 20:01:36

Just reply when you choose. I wouldn't even know how to check when someone had been on line on whatsapp and we use it to communicate with various family members. I would never expect quick replies. My adult children have busy lives as indeed do I (I work full time etc)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now