Talk

Advanced search

to employ a nanny 1 day a week

(11 Posts)
Itsnotmesothere Wed 08-Feb-17 13:18:51

Hi everyone.
Despite being a long time lurker, this is the first thread I've started. I'm not very experienced in organising childcare but it turns out I will have to work 1 weekday a week. I have a 13 month DS and my husband and I are not keen on putting him in a nursery. We'd prefer a childminder or nanny (ideally a nanny) but wondering if there are any nannies out there willing do work 1 day a week or if anyone has ever employed someone for 1 day a week? The employing part looks a bit complicated which might put me off and make me look at childminders instead. I'm using childcare.co.uk as a free member to look but it's a bit difficult as they want you to have gold membership!

dinkystinky Wed 08-Feb-17 13:24:30

Look at a nanny share maybe - there may be nannies out there working 4 day weeks with a day free or families looking to spread nanny costs by having a shared arrangement.

pinkie1982 Wed 08-Feb-17 13:25:50

I have a 20 month DS and looking to start a days childcare. I have meetings with three childminders lined up. I joined a local childminding FB group and advertised what I needed (day/hours/area) and within an hour I had four messages from childminders with vacancies. All OFSTED registered, some sent me their prospectus & policies. Three it turns out have looked after children of people I know. I have checked with the parents of said children and all have good reviews and would recommend, so they are the ones I am going to visit. I am so nervous.

Ask friends for recommendations

Artandco Wed 08-Feb-17 13:26:39

You may find a nanny with own child for one day? You pay slightly less per hour ie £10 instead of £12-13. They bring there often similar age child. You pay less and you child gets playmate. Perfect for just one day a week. And they are more likely to be a nanny who used to work full time, now just wants to work part time as has child

MollyHuaCha Wed 08-Feb-17 13:26:59

Yes, there may well be a nanny looking for a one day a week job. Or someone who used to work as a nursery teacher, gave up work to have a family and is now looking for something part time. You could advertise the position in the local paper and also with agencies?

HookandSwan Wed 08-Feb-17 13:30:39

It could happen! I interviewed with a lady who only wanted 4 days and I considered taking it and doing a one day a week job.

I bet there are plenty nannies out there doing the same.

CatBean Wed 08-Feb-17 13:31:08

As others have said yes it is possible, as many parents work a 4 day week

crickeycrumbsblimey Wed 08-Feb-17 14:10:56

I do and it's been a godsend. She works for another family four days and mine were younger so gave her a nice balance.

I found someone of the same website and paid for a month and then cancelled.

Actually is quite reasonable as well as you don't pay ni for so few hours

Itsnotmesothere Wed 08-Feb-17 14:12:39

I am very nervous too, Pinkie. I left DS with an agency nanny the other day and it felt so weird- the 1st time he'd been looked after by anyone other than family. Thanks for the helpful responses

Badgerbird Wed 08-Feb-17 14:19:16

Yep def possible to find someone! I'm a nanny who does odd days that tally up with other jobs I do. I'd say advertise on childcare.co.uk, don't think you have to have gold membership. Also church halls, toddler groups, local shops etc maybe good place to advertise. Good luck smile

minipie Wed 08-Feb-17 14:30:10

I think there are loads of nannies who do 4 days with one family and 1 day with another. That's what our nanny does (we have her 4 days).

I don't think finding a nanny will be a problem, especially if you can choose which day you work (for example, many 4 day workers have Fridays off, so if you can work on Fridays, there will be more nannies looking for work on Fridays).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now