Talk

Advanced search

School trips - year 11

(26 Posts)
BigSandyBalls2015 Wed 08-Feb-17 09:03:11

A night away for those who have 'achieved their targets' is £90.

A night away for the 'under achievers' is free.

LunaLoveg00d Wed 08-Feb-17 09:05:14

Should be the other way around.

TeenAndTween Wed 08-Feb-17 09:05:56

??

MirandaWest Wed 08-Feb-17 09:06:49

That sounds odd

NavyandWhite Wed 08-Feb-17 09:08:20

Weird. Never heard of that one!

schokolade Wed 08-Feb-17 09:13:22

More details please. Are they going to the same place? Same time? What happens if they don't go?

schokolade Wed 08-Feb-17 09:15:01

I seriously doubt any school would make people pay or not, based only on academic achievement, for an identical trip.

So there must be more to this.

NoCleanClothes Wed 08-Feb-17 09:15:29

I'm really confused I think you need to elaborate (and spell it out for thickos like me).

letthirstydogslie Wed 08-Feb-17 09:15:47

We have had a similar issue at the dds old school but in reverse.

I.e gifted and talented went on a billion trips and it was all subsidised so free.

Those that tried their hardest and behaved were offered very very few trips and when they did they were expensive residentials or a fun trip out.

Im guessing the gifted and talented was funded but it used to boil my piss. My girl would have got masses out of some of the trips and maybe if she had had the same enrichment as others she too would have progressed too so I'm sure they could have organised similar trips.

It also used to annoy me when they did reward trips that cost £50 so only the kids who could afford got a reward. I wish they would have picked somewhere nearer and cheaper.

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 08-Feb-17 09:15:50

What are the trips - same or different places?

BigSandyBalls2015 Wed 08-Feb-17 09:21:57

Different places, different night. Both trips are at a PGL type place with the high achievers doing activities the whole time and the low achievers doing revision with a few activities.

TeaBelle Wed 08-Feb-17 09:26:31

Maybe they are wanting to encourage the pupils who really need the support to go along and are using funding such as pupil premium or other to support this

schokolade Wed 08-Feb-17 09:26:59

Well, it does sound a bit shit.

What happens if high achievers can't afford it? Just don't go? Go to the lower achievers trip?

What about the lower achievers? Can they opt out of their trip?

LunaLoveg00d Wed 08-Feb-17 09:29:29

It's probably the cost of the activities which makes the cost higher then - can see the school's logic, still doesn't make it right.

schokolade Wed 08-Feb-17 09:32:11

Maybe you could call and ask them politely wtf their reasoning is, and take it from there?

TeenAndTween Wed 08-Feb-17 10:50:03

Ohh. Your update makes it make much more sense. Sort of.

The trip for the low achievers is a revision trip, with a couple of activities thrown in as a sweetener to make them attend. No excuse that it is too expensive from the parents.

Whereas the other is a 'jolly', take it or leave it kind of trip.

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 08-Feb-17 12:21:48

I really don't see the point on going on a trip and doing revision. Surely just make the trip shorter (and cheaper) then do the revision back at school.

LIZS Wed 08-Feb-17 12:27:38

Odd they are doing such trips now anyway. confused

TellMeItsNotTrue Wed 08-Feb-17 12:38:21

Sounds about right angry at least this is achievement rather than behaviour I suppose, makes a change. Have the high achievers had other gifted and talented trips over the years that the other pupils haven't had?

I'm sick of this sort of thing, even primary school kids recognise it "I'm going to be naughty this week, because then if I'm good next week I will get x reward"

Its not a new thing, when I was in high school all the naughty kids from my area were taken to alton towers all day for free to tire them out so they wouldn't get up to mischief on mizzy night, made even worse by taking them the day before mizzy night so they were actually still around to get up to trouble on mizzy night! Whereas my sisters and I had never done anything wrong and didn't get anything angry it pissed me off then and 17 ish years later I'm still annoyed about it! My oldest sister said a few in her class went and we're bragging about it before and after, and organising what they would do on mizzy night

TeenAndTween Wed 08-Feb-17 12:40:49

mizzy night?

RhiWrites Wed 08-Feb-17 12:42:29

Mischief Night (30 October)

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 08-Feb-17 12:44:24

Well that's hardly fair is it.

People under achieve fir all sorts of reasons

Hectic home lives

Abusive home life

Poor teaching

Parents too poor to buy/take them to what's needed.

Being sat near someone who frequently disrupts/ruins/ their work or talks to them so they can't hear etc

Sickness that means they are off alot

Etc

Many of the reasons won't be the fault of the student. So how's it fair they miss out.

Trifleorbust Wed 08-Feb-17 12:48:32

The revision trip has to be free, doesn't it?

TellMeItsNotTrue Wed 08-Feb-17 12:52:19

teen may be a North West thing? It's mischief night, normally the time when eggs are thrown etc rather than as well as by Halloween trick or treaters. Known as mizzy night

Rhi thankyou

Creampastry Wed 08-Feb-17 12:54:36

The naughty kids used to get a day out at a theme park at my dc primary school - the rest got nothing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now