Talk

Advanced search

To ask for advice on how much to budget?

(17 Posts)
PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Wed 08-Feb-17 07:39:20

Posting here for traffic.

I am going to London on the train tomorrow. I can't say too much, but it's a sort of meeting/interview thing.

My train tickets are all booked/paid for, but I need to budget for lunch in a cafe etc.

How much would you take? I'm used to Stoke prices, and I really have no clue.

Also, is anyone familliar with Euston Station? I'm being picked up from there, and, if the train isnon time, I'll have less than ten minutes to get from the train to the exit. Will I be late?

Sorry, first world issues I know. I suffer from a massive fear of pissing people off, and I also struggle in unfamilliar places (registered blind and anxiety).

Hope all this makes sense.

ACatCalledFang Wed 08-Feb-17 07:53:01

If you want something like a latte and a panini in somewhere like Caffe Nero, it would be about £7. Throw in some fruit or a sweet treat and you won't get much change out of £10. Same in Pret A Manger (big chain, everywhere) - something like a nice salad, fruit juice and a coffee would come to about £10 or just under.

There are slightly cheaper cafes and it depends on what you want to eat.... I'd budget £10 personally (I live in London).

As for Euston, it sounds like no problem as long as you head straight for the exit which i appreciate may be easier said than done if you're registered blind and unfamiliar with the station. Have you booked assistance from the train company? If not, do ask a member of staff, or even just someone in the station - most Londoners are helpful, honest! (I appreciate easier said than done if you have anxiety - but seriously, I would happily walk you to where you needed to be, and I can't tell you how many people offered to carry my bags for me when I was pregnant.)

Be warned, Euston is busy! Do you have clear arrangements as to exactly where you'll be met?

Good luck, you'll be fine!

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 08-Feb-17 07:55:20

Euston is one of the easier stations to get out of. smile

£10- £15 is more than enough for lunch.

Good luck.

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Wed 08-Feb-17 07:56:40

Thank you! Tbh I have no clue where we'll be eating.

I never thought of booking assistance! Usually I don't need it as I'm familliar with the stations I usually use (Stoke and Stafford).

DH says there are "about a thousand exits" to the station- is this true? If so, is there a main one?

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Wed 08-Feb-17 07:58:56

The journey itself isn't really making me nervous (I don't think). I once travelled to the Isle of Skye alone on the coach.

Catnoise Wed 08-Feb-17 08:01:30

As others have said, £10-£15 should be plenty for lunch at a cafe. Some restaurants do lunch set menus which tend to be about £15/head for two courses. Add into that a few pounds for a coke or probably about £5-£5.50 for a glass of wine if you are likely to want wine.

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 08-Feb-17 08:02:01

DH says there are "about a thousand exits" to the station- is this true? If so, is there a main one?

There are a couple but only one 'main one'.

You will honestly be fine. If you have ever been to Birmingham New Street you will more than cope with Euston.

BonnesVacances Wed 08-Feb-17 08:02:08

Here is a station map. You can find the exit on there and familiarise yourself with the station layout. You could also try Googling images of the station so it seems more familiar too.

Catnoise Wed 08-Feb-17 08:03:02

And yes, there is a main exit. All the platforms face the same direction and it is the one opposite them (although there are shops in between some of the platforms and that exit of that makes sense but it should be pretty clear when you are there.)

SavageBeauty73 Wed 08-Feb-17 08:05:25

Make sure you have at least £50 so you don't need to worry about money. Not only lunch, budget for snacks and a drink each way on the train.

Good luck.

arsenalwatford Wed 08-Feb-17 08:07:30

When you say you're being picked up from the station- is that on foot? Taxi? Car? Cos that will affect where you might walk out.
The station is super easy to get out of, there are platforms 1-18 and from about 5-10 you just walk straight out of platform, keep going across concourse and you'll be walking out of the doors. Platforms 1-5 you come out and turn right then concourse is on your left and 11-18 it's the opposite, left then Concourse is on your right. But outside of the main concourse there is a pedestrianised square. I presume if your being picked up in a car they'll wait beyond that where buaes can pull in.

Ifailed Wed 08-Feb-17 08:12:43

There is an information point in the middle of the main concourse at Euston, ask anyone to accompany you to it and ask your contact to meet you there.

It will be very busy between 7 and 9:30, so if you are arriving then maybe ask as you get off the train?
Don't forget to wear a pink carnation. smile

Deathraystare Wed 08-Feb-17 08:17:37

Don't talk to me about Euston station!

Taking my aunt to a funeral. We had had lunch and where waiting for our train. I had to go loo but told her to sit by WH Smiths so I could see her when I got out. I spent ages looking for her and considered asking them to tannoy her. She claimed she had not moved but i went past those seats several times.

I don't know about you but whilst waiting for someone I do look out for their coming back. She has form for this. When I went to the doctors and she had the car. She decided whilst I was in the surgery, to move the car. Now again, if I was waiting for someone I would make sure they could see me. I would have got out and waved/sounded horn/flashed lights etc. Apparently she just sat there. I ended up walking home.

Back to the station, I evenutally saw her sat down loooking straight ahead but not looking at me. Mind you she is a bit strange...

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Wed 08-Feb-17 08:20:03

You lot are bloody fantastic!

"Don't forget to wear a pink carnation:

This made me grin. I've already told the person who is meeting me to look for the person who looks like an extra from Fraggle Rock! (Blue hair, and a sweater which would make Candy's Hugs look drab!)

SingingInTheRainstorm Wed 08-Feb-17 08:26:45

It's too late now but I would have made up a lunch and put it in your bag, with snacks and a bottle of water/drink.
But £15/20 is a good amount, if you're planning on hanging around a bit I think Harrods do baguettes quite cheap in their Fresh Food Hall. Plus you can be cheeky and ask to try some bits that'll fill you up more. I think it was less than £4 for a baguette filled, crisps were a £ and then drink if cold up to £2 or coffee about £5. I'd be inclined to get something from like Greggs over Starbucks, as Greggs are made every day. Or there's Patisserie Valerie, but that's a bit more dangerous as the cakes cry out 'Eat me, you know you want too!' wink

Make sure you have change in case you need the toilet. I know major stations do charge as they have people cleaning all day long to keep them nice.

Good luck with your interview, wishing you all the best. Hope you have a good journey too.

GingerAndTheBiscuits Wed 08-Feb-17 08:30:45

Pop - i travel between Stoke and Stafford daily on the train - I'll be keeping an eye out for blue hair from now on! 😉

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Wed 08-Feb-17 08:37:20

Ginger it'll be a totally different color next month!If you're familliar with Stoke then you'll knownwhat I'm banging on about when I say that I could have bought shares in Rowfers from how much I've spent in there on hair dye! 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now