Talk

Advanced search

Do you have a ''Dowagers Hump''?

(6 Posts)
7SunshineSeven7 Wed 08-Feb-17 01:39:14

I'm only in my twenties and have one. Feels like its full of liquid/is just fatty(but not solid enough for just fat), I can feel my first spinal bone at the top, nothing through the hump and then the spinal bones below the hump so its quite weird.

I was just curious if anyone had had one and if there was a way to get rid of them - I've heard massage helps but I'm not sure it actually would or if its the fastest/best way to do it.

coolaschmoola Wed 08-Feb-17 01:41:22

I do, as does my mum and my gran had one too. Only 'cure' I'm aware of is a spinal brace.

gleam Wed 08-Feb-17 01:45:15

Have you seen your GP?

Rulerruler Wed 08-Feb-17 02:14:36

I do - I haven't discovered a treatment for it yet (but live in hope). Am in my 30s. I did see the doctor about it a few years ago who confirmed it was there - but said I was still in the realms of normality confused

Katedotness1963 Wed 08-Feb-17 02:21:25

Apparently I do. At least a doctor told me a few years back. Don't worry though, it seems it's a good thing. He laughed when he told me...bastard!

GarlicGarlic Wed 08-Feb-17 02:36:40

Yes. Grrr! My mother has it so I'm going to end up with that bent little woman look. I'm currently still a tall woman, strangely hefty across the back of the shoulders and with my neck too far forward. It aches quite a bit.

For DECADES I was told that taking care of my posture and core muscles would keep my back straight. So I did that. Then last year I asked the doctor about my perpetually aching neck & shoulders. He had a quick prod and told me I have a 'degenerative' cervical spine, it's genetic and try not to strain it too much!

When I conveyed my disappointment that all the exercising hasn't prevented it, he sort of smirked. Sympathetically, but it was definitely a smirk.

I've just googled dowager's hump and, guess what, it's all about how posture exercise will prevent it.

Hah hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now