Talk

Advanced search

Cars outside our house

(25 Posts)
libby131 Tue 07-Feb-17 23:07:40

Our neighbours are reasonably good friends of ours, one works nights frequently leaves a car outside out house all day when asleep so partner can get off drive, their double drive has no cars on all day, there's no one parked outside their house, they will frequently leave a car outside our house for 2-3 days until they next use it, bin men have difficulty getting past etc Aibu if I ask them to stop? Not looking for a falling out z

Ilovecaindingle Tue 07-Feb-17 23:11:36

First off have you got enough popcorn for mners before we begin??

Twittery Tue 07-Feb-17 23:11:50

I think it's ok to ask very politely as long as you make it clear that you know they are allowed to park where they like etc.

PollytheDolly Tue 07-Feb-17 23:16:00

Bringing along my biscuits so I can settle in....

(We have the same problem)

leanandgreen Tue 07-Feb-17 23:25:49

Oh my - same problem. Feeling comforted that I'm not the only one. So annoying when you need to defrost your car in the morning and your car is parked all the way down the road because your next door neighbour is parked right outside of your house. Oh and they have three cars and you have two! angry

Reow Wed 08-Feb-17 06:55:55

Yay another one.

You need to get Jenny from the other post round your house.

libby131 Wed 08-Feb-17 07:41:51

She's ace! Have been reading her thread since 2am when neighbour in question came home and left car running for over 3 hours 😩😫😩 other car still parked outside mine 3rd day today!

BitOutOfPractice Wed 08-Feb-17 07:45:39

Leaving the car running for 3 hours? Why?

picklemepopcorn Wed 08-Feb-17 07:57:06

Thee is quite a lot of parking in my area. A neighbour has started parking under my bedroom window, a pavement width from my lounge. He could park on the other side of the road or further along the street where no one lives. I've started parking there instead. I'd prefer to park on the other side of the road, because the sun hits the car and it defrosts quicker... First world problem, but it sets off the dog and sometimes wakes me up when he parks so close!

StarryIllusion Wed 08-Feb-17 08:01:39

Two simultaneous parking threads! Do you have a diagram?! implodes from excitement

libby131 Wed 08-Feb-17 08:03:19

It's a work vehicle and left running all the time, again double drive only 1 car on it work car in street running and other car outside mine hanging over drive 😩

picklemepopcorn Wed 08-Feb-17 08:08:16

Maybe mention that it is audible from inside the house? I got chatting with a neighbour who sighed and said, 'Earlies this week!'. I nodded, 'I know!'. She twigged that I hear her defrost the car and slam her door when she's on 5am, and has been much quieter since.

BitOutOfPractice Wed 08-Feb-17 08:12:35

It being a work van doesn't explain why it's running for 3 hours in the night

libby131 Wed 08-Feb-17 08:14:47

I think I will try that approach, just opened Ds curtains, no cars on their drive at all one still outside my house another on road outside their house another relative parked completely across my drive 🙈off to the spa to forget my troubles aka as school run, food shop, cleaning washing etc winkgrin

libby131 Wed 08-Feb-17 08:16:38

To give a full description of work vehicle could give my moaning away !

oleoleoleole Wed 08-Feb-17 08:21:39

YABU as long as you have access to your property it's not a problem. Let the bin men complain.

HappyFlappy Wed 08-Feb-17 08:33:10

Two simultaneous parking threads! Do you have a diagram?! implodes from excitement

It doesn't get any better than this Starry!

Living the dream, here!!! grin

picklemepopcorn Wed 08-Feb-17 08:37:24

Refrigerated van?
Concrete mixer?
Erm...

Bluebellevergreen Wed 08-Feb-17 08:45:49

Where is the other thread? Waiting for labour to kick in any day now and I could do with a break from Netflix

akkakk Wed 08-Feb-17 08:49:10

to leave a car on the road is not illegal
to leave it running and not attended is

KathArtic Wed 08-Feb-17 08:56:01

Park on their drive like Carol (?) did on a parking thread a few weeks ago - how did that end?

SingingInTheRainstorm Wed 08-Feb-17 09:02:24

I would be polite, take something round like a bottle of wine you have lying about. Say you've got a double drive that's hardly used, but you park outside ours. Any chance you could park on the drive or in front of your house, as it's hard for us to get off drive.

I usually play the I'm so so sorry to be such a pain, but you'd be a life saver if you could do that please. I hate confrontation, so if they have an excuse or say no, think fair enough.

I read a similar article on the Daily Mail & in the comments people suggested what they'd do. But I don't think it's worth getting into trouble for.

We lived near a school and it was bedlam, we couldn't move for cars, speaking to the police, although against the Highway Code they weren't interested, until someone said oh I'll just reverse into it then, not my fault, the police came round quick to give them a telling off. The irony!

HappyFlappy Wed 08-Feb-17 11:39:04

Here you go, Buebell

Happy baby-ing.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2848553-To-cause-a-row-with-the-neighbour-over-parking?msgid=66803410

NavyandWhite Wed 08-Feb-17 11:40:42

How annoying!

BingoBingoBingoBango Wed 08-Feb-17 12:11:50

This reminds me of my pil's house and their neighbours who live opposite, who despite having room for 6 cars on their driveway like to park all their vehicles on the pavement outside my in laws' house. I know they can park where they like, but it's a cul de sac so not much pavement space and it's just generally selfish. I reason that as they're ukip supporters they're twats anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now