Talk

Advanced search

By being on this website??

(22 Posts)
Teenspov Tue 07-Feb-17 21:55:27

I'll state the basic facts first-please read this full post before replying.
I'm 17 years old, and I am not a mother, nor planning to be one for several years.
However, I've been reading some threads and stuff on this website for a few months now, and always wanted to join in giving advice and stuff-obviously my opinion would never matter in the way of most parenting stuff, but as a teenager, with parents, I'd like to think I could offer help from the 'other side'.
So am I being unreasonable to sign up and start posting, knowing full well I'm not a mum? It's stated on my profile (if I've saved it correctly), and I would never want to hide my age, I just don't want to be seen as intruding. TIA

PurpleDaisies Tue 07-Feb-17 21:58:20

You don't have to be a mum to post here. There are plenty of us that aren't and even some men (shock horror!) here.

I wouldn't worry about trying to "help" or giving a teenager's perspective. Everyone's different so your point of view wouldn't necessarily match their child's.

Just find threads and get going. smile

SumThucker Tue 07-Feb-17 21:58:35

Welcome smile

sonyaya Tue 07-Feb-17 21:59:38

You're most welcome here - being a parent isn't a pre-requisite, lots of us aren't! Some idiots people think non-parents are weird for joining but Mumsnet have clarified anyone who abides by their rules is welcome!

ManaFleet Tue 07-Feb-17 22:01:34

Welcome!

I've been a member of MN for years but only been a mum for a few months. I found it invaluable for tge years I was trying to conceive as well as all sorts of other stuff.

Your views and insight will be welcomed!

Pull up a chair and make yourself at home! You're welcome to be a member and post here. Everyone has something unique to contribute.

MaidOfStars Tue 07-Feb-17 22:09:45

I'm not a Mum.

Nor, admittedly, am I a teenager grin

Deathraystare Wed 08-Feb-17 10:09:21

I am neither a mum or a teenager (in my head though I am 14!).

I think you could certainly put your views across regarding the parenting of teens from your view point but I regularly put my view across on all sorts of topics!

KatieScarlett Wed 08-Feb-17 10:13:37

You are very welcome here.

Willow2016 Wed 08-Feb-17 10:18:15

Welcome
Your opinions are as valid as anyone elses.
Just be warned that it can get a bit heated at times, dont take it personally smile stand up for yourself and get stuck in to whatever thread interests you, doesnt have to be a 'teen thread' either.

Welcome to the crazy world of mumsnet.

raffleswinch Wed 08-Feb-17 10:24:53

Just dive on in! Always refreshing to get alternative PoVs / devils advocate / different take on something rather than the braying sheep

WasabiNell Wed 08-Feb-17 10:58:49

I don't have kids, but this place has been a life saver for me smile

Erm, @raffleswinch - would it be pedantic to say that sheep baa, donkeys bray? winkgrin

Twistmeandturnme Wed 08-Feb-17 11:16:25

Hello and welcome. You don't need to be a Mum or even female to be here.
I am a (nagging) Mum, of teens, so I have to ask....before you get sucked into the all-engrossing world of MN: are you up to date with your homework and is your bedroom tidy ? wink

theshitcollector Wed 08-Feb-17 11:24:52

One of the great things about MN is that there are lots of different people here so you can get advice/ideas/comments from a far broader range of viewpoints than in real life. Just a few tips though:
1. Some people on here are far more blunt than they would probably be in real life so sometimes (especially on the AIBU board) replies can seem quite brutal. Try to remember not to take it personally -they do not know you, or your circumstances and just because someone online says something does not make it true.
2. It's very easy to get over invested in someone else's problems and/or spend too much time on MN in general. Try not to let MN get in the way of what you should be doing in real life.

JanuaryMoods Wed 08-Feb-17 11:30:57

Welcome.

We have one important rule. If you post a parking thread there has to be a diagram.

Other than that, jump in, but don't ever take anything said too personally.

PlacidPenelope Wed 08-Feb-17 11:32:37

You don't need to be a mum or out of your teens to have opinions on Politics, TV shows, books, clothes, general day to day moans, and all the other myriad topics on heregrin, just join in with what interests you.

WorraLiberty Wed 08-Feb-17 11:52:33

You don't have to be an adult or a Mum to post here.

But just a heads up. There's a troll who weirdly starts threads like this, claiming to be a teenager who wants to 'advise' us Mums on various things.

They keep getting banned and coming back again, so if you find some people viewing you with suspicion, it's not because of your age or the fact you're not a Mum.

ShotsFired Wed 08-Feb-17 11:54:31

Very brave to make your first post on AIBU grin

But yeah, just get stuck in.

Ilovecaindingle Wed 08-Feb-17 11:55:48

Do you like popcorn? Some threads require it! grin

Sparklingbrook Wed 08-Feb-17 12:09:30

Everyone is welcome. As long as they post within the guidelines.

Do bear in mind though that many of us have teens and get their POV ourselves if we need to know anything. And that AIBU is a joke topic. grin

Teenspov Wed 08-Feb-17 13:11:58

Twist, I am literally the best child ever in that I love cleaning, so yes!
Worra, I was worried about people thinking I was a troll tbh, so I'll keep an eye out
Thanks everyone for welcoming me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now