Talk

Advanced search

To ask for you tips (D&V)

(10 Posts)
Chamonix1 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:41:41

My dd (4) had D&V last week, went back to play school today and I had to come home from work as was feeling sick.
I've been sick 6 times since 4 and I'm already feeling weak and teary. Admittedly I am the biggest whimp when it comes to throwing up.
Does anyone have any tips for making this less hideous (other than handing me a grip). I'm trying to keep the fluids up but they just don't stay down and throwing up bile is rancid.
My 4 year old was such a trooper, she puts me to shame!

MillionToOneChances Tue 07-Feb-17 19:44:18

Drink loads of water, maybe eat some dry toast, and for heaven's sake don't drink any milk.

Blobby10 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:46:03

Have boiled water (when its cooled down!) instead of ice cold tap water as its more gentle on the stomach. Sip don't gulp. Dont try and eat anything for at least 24 hours.

kissmethere Tue 07-Feb-17 19:46:33

I'd say stop giving her fluid for a while and give her stomach a rest. If she's nauseous she won't rest. The bile means there's nothing left to come up. Obviously sips later on if she can keep it down.

user892 Tue 07-Feb-17 19:46:59

I go completely nil by mouth until it's been a good 4+ hrs since last vomit. Then orange juice with teaspoon of salt & sugar in it. Sip slowly. Soothe tum with hot water bottle. It'll be over soon xx

123bananas Tue 07-Feb-17 19:48:15

You need to have fluids little and often. 10ml every 5 minutes of dilute juice, not citrus preferably with sugar in to keep up your energy levels. Ice lollies are also good if you have any.

It will be over soon. Eat a small amount of toast or a plain biscuit once the vomiting has stopped for at least an hour.

StorminaBcup Tue 07-Feb-17 19:55:34

We've just had this in our household, it's grim. I did nil by mouth for 24 hours (except water). Washed all bedding and towels, bought new toothbrushes for everyone. After 24 hours I had some rehydration salts and had a piece of toast until I felt better.

Hope you're over the worst of it soon flowers

everythingis Tue 07-Feb-17 20:08:58

Get someone to get you some dioralyte sachets and take them when you can stomach it they sort your hydration out and will make you feel better.
If you can swallow anything go for lucozade or anything with aspartame it settles the stomach and you need the energy!

Chamonix1 Tue 07-Feb-17 20:12:16

Thanks.
I've got the diorolyt sachets I'm sipping my way through but come back up. Don't know how I'm going to get dd to and from nursery tomorrow, should be fun!
Just waiting for dh to get it now...

EdithWeston Tue 07-Feb-17 20:23:51

I you have any in the house try sucking an extra strong mint. Peppermint is good for the digestive tract, and they're one of the few things strong enough to take the taste away

<hands a bucket - more useful than a grip>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now